What's the story behind your avatar image?

Diceman

Licensed User
CatCartoon.png

One of these days they will engineer a cat that knows how to use a can opener, and they won't need us any more. ;)

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Mine's not been updated for a good few year.
Not sure what the last one was.
A comic looking upside down Fly?
I can't remember!

Hello Klaus, CableGuy, AGraham etc :cool:
Hi Barry, so happy to see you still around

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Ah well, WEAR A MASK!

I decided to change my original avatar not long after CoronaV started.

Not sure where the image came from but its 'doctored' to represent a viral cluster being blocked by the mask - also indicating those who comply strive to remain anonymous to the virus.

Its an eye mask, because, while we can hide ourselves from what is clearly in front of us and deny the viral reality, it also suggests that the virus hides from us, and, will strike us at its own will, unless we take the right precautions. Also, the virus is as anonymous as we are behind a mask (well, everyone still recognises me even wearing a mask - bang went my robber career).

On the other hand, people who deny the virus, metaphorically wear the eye-mask, and this suggests the virus will collect on you anyway.

I have had a deeper interest in masks as used in society since my student days when my thesis dealt with how masks [as art items] transform people within society and are used as instruments of metamorphosis in ceremony, religion etc.; how they are used to reposition people within their cosmology.

The adaptation here relates to 'the masked ball', theatrical masks, Kubuki, No Theatre, Chinese 'Opera', ceremony in society (african context in particular) etc.. [ PS - Eyes Wide Shut]

That's a personal thing, not really worried about what others think it means. Its just a mask, not a political statement.

Hopefully, the original avatar will return in 2021.

HI HO! Tonto, Away......

Last edited:

taximania

Licensed User
Longtime User
M6YIF - Still into ham radio I see 👍
I passed my foundation license mid 2018.
The wife fell ill with cancer later the same year, I lost her last year.
This year her mother and son also fell to the killer big 'C'.

That pic is a corner of my living room(man cave). LOL 😁👍

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I passed my foundation license mid 2018.
The wife fell ill with cancer later the same year, I lost her last year.
This year her mother and son also fell to the killer big 'C'.

I am so sorry to read about your mother in law and brother in law.

C is one of the most unfair diseases. It strikes quietly and when you finally notice it, its usually too late.

Still, glad to see you picking up the pace...

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Plus a few other bits 'n bobs . . . . .
AND . . . Bob's your Uncle appears with a well known area near my home named :

"Mr Bowker then delivered what he called a history lesson, listing the names of early
white settlers in the vicinity: Johan Keulder who had settled on the banks of the Palmiet and
served as the local Veld Kornet, and 1820 settlers, George and Harry Parr, George Gilbert,
Charles Hill, Alexander Howison, David Hume (whose name is commemorated in Hume-
wood, Port Elizabeth), John Henry Featherstone (of Featherstone’s Kloof) and inn-keeper
Nicholas Lake. It was appropriate, he declared, that the new reservoir on Newing Green
Farm should be named Settlers Dam. He had been assured that this would be sufficient for
the next 35 to 50 years, but he hoped that Grahamstown’s development would be ‘…so
abnormal as to demand waters from the Drakensberg via the Orange-Fish River Project’."
[source : Annals of the Eastern Cape Museums 7, 2011]

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
...Snake? Cat? Sine Waves? ...

Hey @fredo,
As you mentioned a snake I'll respond.

Many many many years ago I used to own two computer shops in a city called Walsall (just outside of my home city of Birmingham (Brumtown), UK). I named my two computer shops Cobra Computer Systems and back then I had gold on black square/domed case badges made (the image was of a Cobra) for the case of any computer systems that I built in my shops.

No no no, but that's not the end of my story, so where did I get the name for my shops from in the first place?
Well back when CB radios were the big rage, I used to be a teenage rig doctor. I owned a one-off Super Star 360FM which I modified with a green display, green lights, triple hi to triple low frequency bands via diode matrix etc etc etc. But my CB radio of choice back in the day was my mint condition modified by myself Cobra 148 GTL-DX with midblock and splits and also UK40 channels, the EPROM was programmed by myself. By the way, both Super Star and Cobra CB radios (my rigs of choice) were identical, same chassis, components the lot, I owned both MK1 and MK2 versions.

So the Cobra snake theme has followed me through the late 80's and 90's all the way to this great forum today.

I used to use my bespoke PetePark character on this forum as my Avatar, but after a question about it from somebody on here (which I thought was a bit too personal and very iffy), I decided to go to my backup avatar, which is the Cobra image that you see :cool:

Enjoy and stay safe.

Peter...

Last edited: