Android Question App to setup tablets and smartphones...

EduardoElias

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi there..

I use tablets and smartphones commercially and I have customers with dozens of them.

And it is very boring to go thru each one and remove icons from desktop, change background image etc etc etc

I wonder if I could write an app to do the following:

- remove all the icons from the "desktop" make it totally clean, specially on Samsung that comes full of stuff on the start screen
- apply a custom image (png or jpg) background
- automatically download my app and install it
- automatically download and install applocker or something like it that will block the user from playing with it.

I believe android authorization dialog would appear that is fine, it is much more easy and app doing all these in a standard way than doing manually.

I wonder if this nice community could point me to the example/documentation for the items i mentioned.

Thanks !

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I dont think this is possible.

Upvote 0

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi there..

I use tablets and smartphones commercially and I have customers with dozens of them.

And it is very boring to go thru each one and remove icons from desktop, change background image etc etc etc

I wonder if I could write an app to do the following:

- remove all the icons from the "desktop" make it totally clean, specially on Samsung that comes full of stuff on the start screen
- apply a custom image (png or jpg) background
- automatically download my app and install it
- automatically download and install applocker or something like it that will block the user from playing with it.

I believe android authorization dialog would appear that is fine, it is much more easy and app doing all these in a standard way than doing manually.

I wonder if this nice community could point me to the example/documentation for the items i mentioned.

Thanks !

Welcome to my world. but try hundreds of tablets. I ended up going back to an older tablet and using Nandroid with a pre-built image. Problem solved.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe you are right.

But as the App needs a very specific setup (to be a Kiosk app) it is unlikely that the app can be published through Playstore.
Still, a LOT is done by the app itself, and the dev (from his post I gather that every targeted tablet is pre-config by him) needs "only" to install his app (i.e. from SD card), set the app owner from pc, and set it as launcher app....
I thinks that his actual procedure is a lot more time consuming at this moment... I can imagine, even if done quickly, about 15 to 30 mins in each device versus 5 to 10 using kiosk mode.

Upvote 0

EduardoElias

Licensed User
Longtime User
Welcome to my world. but try hundreds of tablets. I ended up going back to an older tablet and using Nandroid with a pre-built image. Problem solved.
yeah, but in my case it is for a POS app that I need the user can be capable to install from play store and run without any trick.... complicated

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This lead me to think you had access to each device...

yeah, but in my case it is for a POS app that I need the user can be capable to install from play store and run without any trick.... complicated

That... Is a different story!

Upvote 0