Android Tutorial B4A-Bridge a new way to connect to your device

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are several options to develop with B4A:
- Android emulator or a VM.
- Connect to a real device in USB debugging mode
- Connect to a real device with B4A-Bridge.

I recommend starting with B4A-Bridge, which is the simplest connection method.

USB Debug Mode

You will need to first configure your device to support USB debugging (Settings - Developer - USB debugging).

In order to reveal the developer settings you should follow these instructions:
- Choose Settings - About Phone
- Find the Build Number entry and click on it 7 times.
- On many devices you need to set the USB connection type to MTP or PTP.

Not all devices support USB debugging.

B4A-Bridge

B4A-Bridge is made of two components. One component runs on the device and allows the second component which is part of the IDE to connect and communicate with the device.
The connection is done over the local network or with a Bluetooth connection.

Once connected, B4A-Bridge supports all of the IDE features which include: installing applications, viewing the logs, debugging and the visual designer (taking screenshots is not supported).

Android doesn't allow applications to quietly install other applications, therefore when you run your application using B4A-Bridge you will see a dialog asking you to approve the installation.

Getting started with B4A-Bridge
1. First you need to install B4A-Bridge on your device.
B4A-Bridge can be downloaded from Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=anywheresoftware.b4a.b4abridge

Note that you need to allow installation of applications from "Unknown sources". This is done by choosing Settings from the Home screen - Manage Applications.

2. Run B4A-Bridge on your device. It will display a screen similar to:

arSsfzqjKtq2_v9Moofj4SgiWWet6WOFH-P1Z2NuxbMo4yB6yqsGaoioptbDdbMCZw4=h900

3. Connect the IDE to the device

Go to Tools -> B4A-Bridge -> Connection -> New IP

You will be asked to enter the device IP address. The IP is displayed on the device.

The status bar at the bottom of the screen shows the current status:

SS-2016-09-29_09.31.05.png

SS-2016-09-29_09.31.46.png

That's it.

When B4A-Bridge gets connected it first checks if the designer application needs to be updated. In that case it will first install the designer application.

B4A-Bridge keeps running as a service until you press on the Stop button.
You can always reach it by opening the notifications screen.

As mentioned above, when you run an application you are required to approve the installation. You will usually see the following screens:

SS-2012-03-21_10.50.48.png

Note that the Internet permission is automatically added in debug mode.

SS-2012-03-21_10.52.17.png

In the above dialog you should choose Open to start the application.
If you try to install an existing application signed with a different key, the install will fail (without any meaningful message). You should first uninstall the existing application. Go to the home screen - Settings - Applications - Manage applications - choose the application - Uninstall.

Once you finished developing you should press on the Stop button in order to save battery.

Logs

With B4A-Bridge the logs will only appear in release mode if you add this line to the main module:
B4X:
#BridgeLogger: True
It is better to comment this line before submitting your app to Google Play.

B4A-Bridge source code is available here: http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4andr...ls/8153-b4a-bridge-source-code.html#post45854

Tip

You can click on the B4A-Bridge status in the IDE to connect or disconnect the bridge.

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-29_9-29-57.png
    upload_2016-9-29_9-29-57.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 6,043
Last edited:

urbancenturion

Licensed User
Longtime User
connection?

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this...

I just installed B4A and the bridge. I don't have a wifi router. I tried to set up a temp wifi connection directly from the laptop to the phone, but it doesn't seem to work. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

urbancenturion

Licensed User
Longtime User
connection?

I installed Connectify (but there was some sort of problem--a couple of times), and now it seems to be running, but I still can't get my Android to see the wifi signal.

Btw, I'm using Vista, but the connectify site said there was limited support. I guess the settings I am trying to use are wrong, but I can't figure out what to set--and how. TIA for however you can help.

zxxdaro

Licensed User
Longtime User
I can't get a connection.
Set up windows XP with a cable into the rooter. Android phone connected by WIFI.

I CAN ping the IP address on the phone and I have established that it is the correct IP and that it is on the phone by disconnecting the phone from WIFI when the ping fails as expected.

ozgureffe

Licensed User
Longtime User
Anyone using Bridge with ICS?

Hi,

I am now using Ice Cream Sandwich and can not connect with the B4A-Bridge.

B4A-Bridge now can't detect my wireless network IP address.
It stuck with HSDPA IP address used before WiFi connection starts. But device uses WiFi for internet connection?

Any idea or solution ?

Thank you.

Last edited:

ozgureffe

Licensed User
Longtime User
Airplane Mode didn't work.
I tried many things before posting my question.But this evening i tried one more thing and it worked.I disabled mobile data. Then reboot the phone. After boot Bridge came back with my wireless IP.

Thank you.

Gravy Jones

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4A Bridge

Thank you for presenting this information. I installed the bridge software on my Kindle Fire and was able to make a connection from the IDE.

Iani

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

complete newbie here, only started using b4a two days ago, and never really did any programming before, bear with me if I ask stupid stuff..

I am using b4a bridge on a Galaxy Note.. it connects, and it works flawlessly... except that always (happened 5 times out of 5 times I used it so far) after about 10-15 minutes of running, it reboots my phone.

Any clues what I am doing wrong? Or on how to figure it out myself?

mystic7

Hello,

complete newbie here, only started using b4a two days ago, and never really did any programming before, bear with me if I ask stupid stuff..

I am using b4a bridge on a Galaxy Note.. it connects, and it works flawlessly... except that always (happened 5 times out of 5 times I used it so far) after about 10-15 minutes of running, it reboots my phone.

Any clues what I am doing wrong? Or on how to figure it out myself?
I just started using b4a a few days ago myself. We should stick together :)

Anyway, I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and I haven't had that problem yet, although to be sure, I'm not positive that I've had it running for 10-15 minutes. Usually I will design my tutorial apps on the emulator, then when I get it running ok with no errors I'll switch to my tab to see how it looks. Next time I hook up I'll leave it running for 20 minutes or so and see what happens.

raddad555

Licensed User
Longtime User
II have the same issue, works fine on my lg optimus , but when using my Acer Tablet after upgrading to ICS does not detect, prior when on 3.2 no problem connecting. Anyone else with this issue resolved????

micro

Licensed User
Longtime User
Why with c91 Zetapad android 4.0 B4Bridge not work?
This is the message on the device
"The application B4A-Bridge is locked in an unusual way"
Works fine on the ZT180 epad with androiud 2.3.

micro

Licensed User
Longtime User
click on Tools/B4A Bridge/Connect
In Italian on the device
"L'applicazione B4A-Bridge si è bloccata in modo anomalo"

Status
Not open for further replies.