Android Question B4A - Buttons not displaying on some older Android versions/devices

David Zielinski

Licensed User
Hi Everyone,

First time posting, haven't needed to post everything as B4A is pretty awesome and the support forum is an amazing resource... I couldn't find anything on this particular issue.

Just having a bit of an issue with older devices.... please see below... basically standard button controls aren't displaying on older android devices (buttons are placed on top of a standard imageview).

Current manifest:
<uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="9" android:targetSdkVersion="28"/>

Buttons not showing - old Samsung S3 (Android Version 4.3, also happens on Android Version 4.4.2)
samsungs3-old.png

Buttons Showing on a Lenovo Tab 7
lenovo tab7 - buttons are showing.png

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Can you post a small project which shows the issue?
Are the buttons ABOVE the Imageview in Designer? Or are you just using Elevation (which only apply for newer Devices)?

Erel

Administrator
Staff member
Licensed User
In Android 5+, with the material theme, buttons are elevated. If the ImageView is positioned above the buttons they will still appear in Android 5+ devices and they won't appear in Android 4 devices.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
This is not relevant.
It is probable, perhaps certain, also because I have not read everything
1581592252029.png
😁

That routine, however, is useful in many cases, to indicate it is not bad for your health.
(🤔 maybe it is also in the "Snippets" forum...) [not]

David Zielinski

Licensed User
In Android 5+, with the material theme, buttons are elevated. If the ImageView is positioned above the buttons they will still appear in Android 5+ devices and they won't appear in Android 4 devices.
Hi Erel and thanks for replying... first control placed in the designer was the imageview, and then buttons on top of the imageview. I did come across an "elevation" article but can't find it again. That might solve the problem???? I'll put together a sample project and post on here tomorrow.