Other B4A v9.80 BETA #2 has been released

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm happy to release a new version of B4A.

This update includes many IDE improvements and other improvements:

• Find all references, quick search and find subs / modules tool windows were rewritten and are now syntax colored, the text is selectable and you can jump directly to the selected position:

B4A_9botcGYHWq.png

• Subs code appears in the quick info windows:

B4A_oncZ22XSv2.png

This code is also selectable and clickable.
  • Show Sub in window:

B4A_Ws5QQPNnoA.png

Allows showing subs in a floating windows. The text is selectable and clickable.
    This can be triggered from all kinds of places including:

firefox_5S7dmQl9uv.png

And:

B4J_HA5KV1VUy1.png

• Positions and layouts of all windows are preserved.
  • Search results font can be configured from Tools - IDE Options - Font Picker:

B4A_odVBuDhINv.png

• IDE shows available updates:

B4A_aIuycXIChA.png

• Recommended targetSdkVersion is set to 28.
  • Alpha value of text colors can be set in the designer.
  • Fix for a crash related to B4XView.Color with Android 10 and targetSdkVersion >= 29.
  • Better handling of errors in the IDE.
  • Deprecation warnings for modal Msgbox.
  • Animation to zero size no longer causes an exception in new versions of Android.
  • Starter service subs can be accessed directly without using CallSub.
  • Warning and errors do not hide other information:

firefox_3kGGyEKGSF.png

• Copy warnings from list of warnings.
  • Generate 'Create Type' Sub:

1hITEYnYZ4.gif

• Copy events:

firefox_etmGiwujtQ.png

• Modules list is saved in lexicographic order to avoid unexpected changes with source control tools.
  • Resources in implicitly referenced b4x libs are now accessible.
  • Other minor improvements and bug fixes.

Developers who are eligible for a free upgrade will receive an email with installation instructions.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would not like to disappoint Erel in this new project to make it free

You can always send a contribution at a later date. I'm fully paid up until 2024 (I don't want or need a refund) and I don't really care about that. I'll be sending contributions after 2024 as I've made enough money from B4A to justify it.

Anyway talking about B4A, B4A 9.80 Beta #1 @Erel this is an absolutely brilliant update. I've managed to reassemble all mine and my clients large projects with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I love the fact I can now do for example Starter.ConnectToDatabase etc, the popup sub in a floating window is also an excellent addition, so is the auto generate Types feature.

Some of these updates are a breath of fresh air, absolutely excellent Erel.

So far so good, no errors.

Well done Erel, not one assembly issue with any of my code, brilliant. I'll keep beta testing thoroughly for you though.

Oh yes, Beta #2 should include the latest SDK Manager, but you've probably already seen that post.

Thank you...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kisoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
The best support for EREL now will be promoting B4X wherever possible. I have already written about it in another thread, when the free version of B4A appears I will start working.

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
šŸ˜‰
You can always send a contribution at a later date. I'm fully paid up until 2024 (I don't want or need a refund) and I don't really care about that. I'll be sending contributions after 2024 as I've made enough money from B4A to justify it.

Anyway talking about B4A, B4A 9.80 Beta #1 @Erel this is an absolutely brilliant update. I've managed to reassemble all mine and my clients large projects with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I love the fact I can now do for example Starter.ConnectToDatabase etc, the popup subs in floating window is also an excellent addition, so it the auto generate Types.

Some of these updates are a breath of fresh air, excellent Erel.

So far so good, no errors.

Well done Erel, not one assembly issue with any of my code, brilliant. I'll keep beta testing thoroughly for you though.

Oh yes, Beta #2 should include the latest SDK Manager, but you've probably already seen that post.

Thank you...
I agree, you will surely understand that it was a joke ;)

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Italian jokes.:p
@Peter Simpson:
I am a Swede but I have been living in Italy for nearly than 30 years and still, I sometimes don't understand Italian jokes :)
Of course that was a joke too :)

Upvote 0

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Italian jokes.:p
@Peter Simpson:
I am a Swede but I have been living in Italy for nearly than 30 years and still, I sometimes don't understand Italian jokes :)
Of course that was a joke too :)

I know he was, I wish that I had put that in my original post :rolleyes:
My response was mainly for others that are thinking great, we no longer have to support Anywhere Software, just use their products (yes I know some users can't really afford a lot, but in the future even a ā‚¬10 or ā‚¬20 from them will help).

Anyway SD knows that I know he was joking, but others will literally take the piss. All the free programs on my development machine that has a donate button built-it I have donated to even though I really didn't have to, but I always do. Actually one Danish developer received multiple donation from me. He personally found my freephone business phone number on the internet and contacted me to find out why I donated multiple times over the years. I told him that if I use a program that makes me money, I'll always donate if the facility is there to do so. I've even contacted a couple of indie developers because they didn't have a donate button, I asked them for their Paypal details so that I can donate. I did that because their program has benefited my business in one form or another. Saving me time, thus saving me money, thus making me more productive.

Anyway, sorry @Erel as this chitchat should not really be in this thread.
I'm still test Beta #1 as I type this. There are still no issues to report, none whatsoever, no matter which B4A project I open and assemble. Inline java is working perfect as always, and the IDE is working quickly and is running smoothly. Actually I've got so much confidence in Beta #1, that a few hours ago I sent a client of mine their updated 2D laser barcode scanner apk file which was assembled using B4A Beta #1 and also this mornings updated recommended components in the B4A SDK manager. I did have to install a new AndoidX component though, but that has absolutely nothing to do with B4A Beta #1.

Everything is working like clockwork, thank you...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Can you explain more please

I believe this is to do with the situation where if you are typing in a sub with lots and lots and lots of lines of errors in the same sub, when you're typing quickly the text you are typing does not appear instantly because the IDE is also handling/checking all the red underlined errors in the exact same sub.

Upvote 0

Hamied Abou Hulaikah

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good.
But what about this error handling:
Can be added in future or this release?

Upvote 0

Herbert32

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear Erel,

great to see that you never get tired to improve this already great IDE again and again. - Thank you for that.

As you are actually improving the IDE again, I would like to remind about a wish, which I posted a few month ago.

It would be helpful to switch a filter to the QuickSearch-result so that commented lines will not be shown in the QuickSearch-Result.

IDE2.jpg

A second wish would be to improve the Auto-Format-Function to handle spaces more accurate or alternative give a switch to ignore the spaces in the QuickSearch-Result as well as a switch to search case-sensitive.

IDE1.jpg

Clipboard05.jpg

Clipboard03.jpg

Clipboard04.jpg

This suggestions would help to make QuickSearch much Quicker ;-)

Best regards

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Can be added in future or this release?
I would like to remind about a wish,
There is no point in posting feature requests in this thread. You should only post these requests in the wishlist forum.
This thread is the place to discuss this specific update.

Upvote 0

Lello1964

Licensed User
Longtime User
1580059944840.png

Can you add copy from select text from Allows showing subs in a floating windows. The text is selectable and clickable. ?

Text can be selected but cannot be copyed.

Upvote 0