Beta [B4X] BETAs: B4J v7.80, B4A v.9.50 and B4i v6.00

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The three tools are being updated together. This update adds support for copying and pasting layouts between the three platforms. This is an important feature that will make it simpler to build cross platform applications.

Improvements:

• Support for copying and pasting controls between the platforms:

tSMBhiL6kb.gif

• Ctrl + Click in the designer script to select the control.
  • Anchors checker: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/new-feature-anchors-checker.108805/
  • Generate B4XViews from the designer. Also supports changing the type of already declared variables.
  • Improved tool tips, add views from the views tree and other small improvements and bug fixes in the designer.
  • Empty lines will not be copied to the clipboard.
  • Regions are listed in the subs list:

B4J_6io3ytX4jb.png

B4A only improvements:
  • Automatic foreground mode: better handling of several edge cases.
  • B4A Sdk Manager: temp folder is explicitly set by the IDE and fixes related to temporary resources cleaning.
  • Visual designer: Color property now includes the alpha channel. Simpler to use and behaves the same as in B4i and B4J.
  • New designer version. You will be asked to install it when B4A-Bridge connects.
  • FirebaseAdMob v1.60 - There are new requirements. See this post: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/firebaseadmob-v1-6.108552/#content
  • FirebaseAnalytics v1.11 - Includes the manifest definitions for FirebaseDatabase.

B4J beta download link: https://www.b4x.com/b4j/files/beta.exe
B4A download link: mail will be sent today, to developers eligible for free upgrade.
B4i download link: mail will be sent to developers eligible for free upgrade.

Last edited:

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I couldn't resist.:D
Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 is no longer supported.
Why not? They have been working for years without problems :(

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Windows XP is not supported anymore with this version. Is that correct?
I have to say many of my clients are STILL using WinXp.
They are not ready to let it go and are afraid of Win10.

All my applications including 16 bits DOS, runs smoothly on it and they are happy with it.

So, "If ain't broke don't fix", I do not try to convince them.
Luckily I can give them my 32 bits applications too. But OS remains same.

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0

walterf25

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have to say many of my clients are STILL using WinXp.
They are not ready to let it go and are afraid of Win10.

All my applications including 16 bits DOS, runs smoothly on it and they are happy with it.

So, "If ain't broke don't fix", I do not try to convince them.
Luckily I can give them my 32 bits applications too. But OS remains same.

Regards,

Anand
You need to bring your clients over to the 21st century :D

Walter

Upvote 0

walterf25

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Martin Larsen

Licensed User
Longtime User
It is the same as with the previous version. You can get it working with Windows XP, although it is not recommended. If the installer causes a problem then install it on a different computer and copy the files. Make sure to use the latest version of .Net Framework available for XP.

I'am not sure what the previous version was but it works fine with 8.8. When starting the installer it says "beta.exe is not a valid Win32-application".

The reason for using XP is that I'm on Linux and boot up a virtual XP when I need to work in Windows. The XP is a clone of my physical PC from years ago. Most programs run fine on XP and I only boot it up occasionally.

Upvote 0

Diceman

Licensed User
This update adds support for copying and pasting layouts between the three platforms. This is an important feature that will make it simpler to build cross platform applications.

Erel,
Do you think one day we could use the same layout file for B4A, B4J, B4i? Is that the end goal? Or are the native controls too disparate that this would not be practical? Delphi had attempted this but with marginal success.

TIA

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you think one day we could use the same layout file for B4A, B4J, B4i? Is that the end goal?
"Cross platform" is a feature not a goal.

The current solution makes it simple to share layouts. See the animated gif in the first post. It is a matter of two clicks to copy and paste a layout. In most real world applications you will want to make some platform specific changes. This is very easy to do now.
I don't see it as a goal to have a cross platform layout file. It will work good in small examples but will be limiting in real apps.

Upvote 0