Not open for further replies.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
This version includes the following improvements:
  • For Each blocks
  • Declaration and assignment in the same statement - Two new language features in the next version
  • B4A-Bridge - many stability improvements related to both Bluetooth mode and wireless mode
  • B4A-Bridge supports logging on all devices including Android 4.1+. Requires B4A-Bridge 2.07
  • Menu items will now appear in the action bar on Android 3.0+ devices
  • Default target level set to 14
  • WYSIWYG designer uses device default theme. Supports changing themes: New feature: better support for modern Android themes
  • Designer includes a new color value: DEFAULT. The meaning of this value is that the theme default color will be used.
  • Designer script new keywords make it easier to build user interfaces that scale correctly on all phones and tablets: Min, Max, AutoScale, AutoScaleAll and AutoScaleRate: New feature: AutoScale and other new designer script keywords
  • Optimized designer layout files - loading time is 3 - 4 times faster
  • MediaPlayer can play files from File.DirInternal
  • Map.Keys / Values - allows iterating over map entries with For Each
  • Panel / Activity.RemoveAllViews
  • LayoutValues.ApproximateScreenSize - returns the approximate device physical screen size
  • Sign key alias key can be changed (requires editing the settings file)
  • Activity/Panel.LoadLayout can now be used from classes
  • Camera_Preview event

Update: V2.22 is now available.
You can download this version from the same link as the previous version.

This version fixes several bugs including the InputType property not being updated by the designer.
Other changes:
  • Variant chooser method improved: variants orientation is better handled (landscape phone variants will be chosen on landscape tablets as well)
  • Activity.AddMenuItem / AddMenuItem2 on Android 3+ will add the menu items to the overflow menu
  • Activity.AddMenuItem3 allows you to choose whether to add the menu items to the action bar (if there is enough room)

Notes
  • Layout files saved in version 2.20+ cannot be loaded on older versions of the IDE
  • Libraries in the internal libraries folder have first priority (changed from previous versions)
  • B4A.xml file was updated. If you are using a custom color scheme then you can copy the relevant section to the new file.

nachoap10

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you again. I'm going to return to android programming afterwards a lot of months working in other things, so this is an excellent news!

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Erel,
this is just wonderful.
Thanks for creating an android programmer out of my person!
The err pop-ups disappeared and now I am in the ramp for writing my killer app!
no U-turn.
thumps up and hats off.

Upvote 0

gulliver

Licensed User
Longtime User
Downloaded.
I can not wait to try it.
Good job Erel.
What a wonderful thing is B4A.

Upvote 0

kanaida

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you :) ba4 is shaping up quite nicely this year. With each new version I can get closer and closer to using the vb code I use at work without mentally keeping track of certain language differences that I usually remember and run into when I press the start/debug button. I think for the first time I can actually copy/paste some code across ide's without changes now!

Upvote 0

Steven Bacchioni

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4A Version 2.20 problem with Custom Dialogs

Installed B4A Version 2.20 a few minutes ago and have a problem with custom dialogs.

Basically I have a custom dialog with a panel containing an EditText called (x) and a ListView called (ListView1).

In the previous version of B4A the following sub was triggered when an item was tapped in the ListView1 while the custom dialog was displayed and had focus.

Sub ListView1_ItemClick (Position as Int, Value as String)
x.text = Value.text
End Sub

However, in the latest version the above sub only gets called when the dialog is closed.

Any Ideas?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kanaida

Licensed User
Longtime User
Installed B4A Version 2.20 a few minutes ago and have a problem with custom dialogs.

Basically I have a custom dialog with a panel containing an EditText called (x) and a ListView called (ListView1).

In the previous version of B4A the following sub was triggered when an item was tapped in the ListView1 while the custom dialog was displayed and had focus.

Sub ListView1_ItemClick (Position as Int, Value as String)
x.text = Value.text
End Sub

However, in the latest version the above sub only gets called when the dialog is closed.

Any Ideas?

Did you initialize it like this:
Listview.initialize("ListView1") ?

Upvote 0

michelg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks

I just received my email.

I thank you guys a lot.

You product is the best on the market. I puts the smile back on the faces of Visual Basic programmers. Furthermore, you support it very well. Keep up the good job. I love you guys.

Thanks!:sign0098:

Upvote 0

Steven Bacchioni

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Kanaida

Yes that is done. It has stoped working on both my PC and Laptop. But I installed the old version on another PC and used the original code and it works.

What I have noticed is that once the original code has been touched by the new version, then it will not work on the old or new version.

I have lost a days work on the code changes so I am going to stop now and pick up on this on Saturday (once I have calmed down I will take a fresh look at it)

Cheers

Upvote 0

PoulDK

Licensed User
Longtime User
No warranties

Erel,
I have always wondered about the extremely strange, and non-compliant to common practices terms of your “update guarantees”;
Where any self-respecting organisation provides unconditional support and upgrades between versions (eg: V1.xx upto V2.00, etc), you are restricting support by time.
I also now understand where the 2 month limitation comes from: it takes you just over 2 months to deliver bug fixes, therefore by definition not a single “ordinary” customer is entitled to get his bugs resolved. Looking at my own situation: 2 months and 10 days passed, where I am now just getting into using the more advanced functions and bumping into your bugs.
There might be a following for the B4A product, but your update and bug fix policies do not indicate that you yourself stand by your product.
Regards,
Poul.

Upvote 0

JanG

Licensed User
Longtime User
RE: No warranties

The product ist very cheap (and good!). Especially if you take the version with 2 month upgrades. You had the chance to buy the version with 2 years. And it's cheap anyway.

BTW, I have the same problem or made the same mistake. I wanted to save money and I bought the 2 month version. But I had good luck, I'm in the 2 month period.

But in my opinion it would be nice, if Erel gives bug fixes in the same version for free without a time limitation. E.g. 2.20 has some bugs, so 2.21, 2.22, ... should be for free, because it is not fair paying for bugfixes.

Would it be possible?

BTW, any release plans for the next bugfix-Version?

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
There might be a following for the B4A product, but your update and bug fix policies do not indicate that you yourself stand by your product.
I'm not accepting your offending statement.

About bug fixes versions:
But in my opinion it would be nice, if Erel gives bug fixes in the same version for free without a time limitation
This is exactly the case.
Version 1.92 and version 2.02 which were released as bug fixes versions were released to all customers who received the previous version. The same will be true for other bug fixes versions.

Note that when your free upgrades period will be over you will receive an option to upgrade to the enterprise version at a very special price.

Upvote 0

Osi

Licensed User
Longtime User
The Enterprise version was $69 on March 2012. Hard to beat that price for android development w/o the crap google puts you through to create something simple.

If you cannot afford that, then you are in the wrong hobby/business.

Upvote 0

texwillerx

Licensed User
Longtime User
How to get this release?

I bought my Basic4android on August 4, 2012. After I have paid the price, I received an e-mail with a link to full version, a username and a password. I have downloaded and installed the software in this link. It was version 2.02!

When I discovered this post, I tried to reinstall the above link, but it is still 2.02.

Please advice me how I can get version 2.2

Thanks

Talat Oncu

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.