Android Tutorial Basic4android works on linux!

Hi everyone not sure where to post this but Basic4Android works on LinuxMint 11 :icon_clap: using VirtualBox (non opensource version) with XP SP2 installed (DotNet 2.0).

No problems at all connecting to phone using B4A-Bridge over WIFI and GSM. Compiling and installing app to phone runs as usual.

Just in case anyone that runs linux based on ubuntu 11 that wants to purchase your software and wondering if this software works. It does.

:sign0089:
WazzA

alv

hi

Thanks for the files, the avd manager now works great :D , and i able to connect to it, the designer also works, i can place buttons etc.
The only problem is the code not showing in the editor, made more test but no success, i try to copy que files of framework 2.0 from a windows virtualbox but continues with the same problem.
Got to keep trying :)

Thanks

alv

Hi found a way to do it :)

Hi, after many try and error, lots of error :) found a way to see the editor with the code, but only works after first time, second time doest show the code, but that can be solve, delete .wine/drive_c/users/name_of_user/Application Data/anywere software and then run basic4android and show the code, is not a framework problem, i think is the way as basic4android define the user inicialization data, because deleting that folder it show the code.
Going to do more tests to see if i get a permament solution :D
Any way, deleting that folder all of the function works well, try it.

Thanks for the help,

salmander

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, after many try and error, lots of error :) found a way to see the editor with the code, but only works after first time, second time doest show the code, but that can be solve, delete .wine/drive_c/users/name_of_user/Application Data/anywere software and then run basic4android and show the code, is not a framework problem, i think is the way as basic4android define the user inicialization data, because deleting that folder it show the code.
Going to do more tests to see if i get a permament solution :D
Any way, deleting that folder all of the function works well, try it.

Thanks for the help,
any updates??

alv

best way to see the editor code

Hi, did more test with diferent trial version of b4a, and the best solution to see the code is always open b4a in fullscreen, if you resize the screen close and open again the code editor is not shown, but if you maximize close and open again it show the code.

Big problem now is that if you try to open a b4a file the editor code doesnt show up, havent found a solution for that except open de file with a text editor and copy paste to a new file in b4a.

Going to keep trying, can anyone test with a full version to see if the works the same way.

Thanks

salmander

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, did more test with diferent trial version of b4a, and the best solution to see the code is always open b4a in fullscreen, if you resize the screen close and open again the code editor is not shown, but if you maximize close and open again it show the code.

Big problem now is that if you try to open a b4a file the editor code doesnt show up, havent found a solution for that except open de file with a text editor and copy paste to a new file in b4a.

Going to keep trying, can anyone test with a full version to see if the works the same way.

Thanks
I am at work right now...i will test it after work.
Thanks for the updates

sn00zerman

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4A also works perfectly on Mac OSX Lion with parallels ,no tweaking necessary, runs right out of the box :)

sn00zerman

Licensed User
Longtime User
:)

I know, but I got one as a present from my boss, when celebrating that I was working 10 years for the same company.
I work in IT, and at work, we only use M$ windows machine. (ooh well, we have a few linux-based VMWare servers)
I was always complaining about Windows, and that Linux was so much faster, and Android devices where so much better than windows phones :) (The rest of my PC's here at home, all run Ubuntu, all my phones & tablets do Run Android, only exception is my wifes' IPAD)

I'm very curious what I will get from my boss, when I work 20 years for the same company :) (counting down, still 9 years and 7 months to go, lol)

best regards,
Kris

johnaaronrose

Licensed User
Longtime User
Latest situation on DotNet2SP1

As Alv said "Big problem now is that if you try to open a b4a file the editor code doesnt show up".

My belief (as I stated in a previous post) is that this is caused by DotNet2SP1 not installing correctly. I've tried using Winetricks to do this as well as doing it directly.

I'm currently nagging Launchpad Ubuntu Wine ppa team to correct this for Winetricks. With this ppa, Wine & Winetricks version is 1.3.37. It would help if more people add their comments to the issue. URLs for this are:
https://code.google.com/p/winetricks/issues/detail?id=103
and
WineHQ Bugzilla – Bug 29526 – Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 SP1 (32 bit) install fails

A little more progress. I installed version 1.3.37 of Wine & Winetricks from the above ppa. After investigation, I find that there are 2 versions of Winetricks on my Ubuntu Lucid system. On running the install of DotNet20sp1 using the later version (i.e. part of 1.3.37), it says that it has installed fully. I then ran install of DotNet20sp2 using Winetricks but the code still does not show in b4a!

https://code.google.com/p/winetricks/issues/detail?id=180

Last edited:

johnaaronrose

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upgraded to latest Wine version & b4aV0.ini file

As I mentioned, I've solved the .Net2.0SP1 install problem.

I've now upgraded Wine from 1.3.37 to latest version 1.4-rc6, but still doesn't solve the code display problem. I've put more 'nags' on WineHQ's website about this .....

Grasping at straws for this code display problem:
In the /home/john/.wine/drive_c/users/john/Application Data/Anywhere Software/b4aV0.1.ini file, I was advised by Erel to replace the 'MaxRamForDex=512' by 'MaxRamForDex=256' to get round a B4a issue preventing compilation. I've just noticed that there are some interesting parameters, perhaps concerned with code display.

Left=53
Top=37
ClientSizeWidth=890
ClientSizeHeight=594
FontName=Courier New
FontSize=10

johnaaronrose

Licensed User
Longtime User
New machine

I've just got a new desktop to replace dev use of my 5 year old laptop. I've installed Wine 1.5.1 (& release 17 of Android SDK which needed different changes to the android.bat file from release 16). Still same problem (i.e. non display of code when opening existing app). I've posted details on WineHQ bug 30085. Don't hold your breath for Wine's developers curing bug!

Last edited:

birnesoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
Screenshot virtualbox Linux

Juhu b4a works fine and really fast under Linux.
Here is a screenshot from my Laptop with external screen.

attachment.php

gruss Bjoern

Attachments

• virtualbox.jpg
    virtualbox.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 623

johnaaronrose

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4a working?

birnesoft,

Congratulations. Have you got the problem of NOT seeing the code for a previously saved project when you start B4a again?

If not, what versions of B4a, Java JRE, AndroidSDK, .Net & Wine are you using?

Sorry, I've just noticed that you have VirtualBox in the title of your message. So, does this mean that you have you haven't got B4a working (without the display bug) under Wine i.e. without using VirtualBox?

Last edited:

johnaaronrose

Licensed User
Longtime User
Works on Wine 1.5.2

Just installed wine 1.5.2 (latest dev version - releases 13 April 2012).
Bug fixed!!!

Instructions for installing Wine 1.5.2 (are for 1.5.1 but work for 1.5.2) are on:
Installing WINE 1.5.1 in Ubuntu 32bit and 64bit - The Linux Community Forum

I needed to do extra step as detailed in my postings on that thread.

Wine 1.5.2 may be downloaded for your distro by following instructions at:
WineHQ - Wine Binary Downloads

B4a won't go full screen on my new desktop with 1440x900 (i.e. 16:1- aspect ratio) using Ubuntu Lucid Desktop 64 bit. Anybody any ideas why?

birnesoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
So, does this mean that you have you haven't got B4a working (without the
display bug) under Wine i.e. without using VirtualBox?

I don't try B4a with wine, because of the display problem.
But virtual box works fine and is free.

Gruss Bjoern

johnaaronrose

Licensed User
Longtime User
It does work under Wine 1.5.2

Gruss,

It does work under Wine 1.5.2: please see my previous emails about procedure to follow.

johnaaronrose

Licensed User
Longtime User
Bad format

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 & Wine 1.5.2 to run Windows XP. I'd previously got this working - about 2 months ago. Now it suddenly stopped working - I guess you've heard that before. I've just checked & it runs OK using VirtualBox with Windows XP. So the problem seems to be caused by Ubuntu/Wine - a pity as it's a pain to use VirtualBox in comparison with Wine. Anyway, I've attached a screenshot of the compilation log.

Attachments

• B4A-BadFormat.png
    B4A-BadFormat.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 276

nypaulie

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4A using VBox in Linux (Mint-11)

Yes, I have been able to do this, but it is VERY slow. Instead I go back to
WinXP (via dualboot) to run B4A. Anyone know how to speed up the VBox way? I really hate having to do Windows.... (why I am a Linux user!).

johnaaronrose

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ubuntu Precise

Yes, I have been able to do this, but it is VERY slow. Instead I go back to
WinXP (via dualboot) to run B4A. Anyone know how to speed up the VBox way? I really hate having to do Windows.... (why I am a Linux user!).

I've just switched (clean install) from Ubuntu Lucid to Precise. I'm able to install (under Wine) JavaJDK 1.7 and Android SDK 21.0.1. SDK Manager runs OK from Dash. But AVD Manager does not - it displays nothing & stops.

I just remembered that I can use wineconsole cmd (in Terminal) to run AVD Manager. When I did that, I got "Exception in thread "main" java.Lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/android/dvlib/DevSchema.
There's a lot of other messages following that. Unfortunately, I don't know how to copy them from the Wine Command Prompt window.

I know nothing about Java. Any ideas what to do?