Android Tutorial Basic4android works on linux!

Hi everyone not sure where to post this but Basic4Android works on LinuxMint 11 :icon_clap: using VirtualBox (non opensource version) with XP SP2 installed (DotNet 2.0).

No problems at all connecting to phone using B4A-Bridge over WIFI and GSM. Compiling and installing app to phone runs as usual.

Just in case anyone that runs linux based on ubuntu 11 that wants to purchase your software and wondering if this software works. It does.

:sign0089:
WazzA

berwan

Licensed User
Longtime User
I confirm that Basic4Android works perfectly well on Linux via VirtualBox. I use it since the beginning with Ubuntu and I never had any problem.

Pengwin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I know I've mentioned it before, elsewhere. But that is a similar setup to mine for developing with A4B, except my host OS is Mac OSX10.5, and in VirtualBox, I have XP SP3.

Andre-K

Licensed User
Longtime User
yes, but why do we need this pile of bloat ? (windows)
I am still waiting for a B4A for Linux before purchasing. - can't have three employees waste time on windows rebooting. :)

iliberis

Licensed User
Longtime User
It's possible to run B4A in REAL Linux. Using VirtualBox (or any other emulator), it's possible to run it in virtually any device... but in Windows running into an emulator.

To run it in REAL Linux, it's necessary to use Mono. B4A is developed in .net 2.0, which is supported in Mono. If the IDE don't use pinvoke it's possible to run it. If not, it's possible to adapt it to run Linux or MacOS under Mono.

(Sorry for my very bad english)

johnaaronrose

Licensed User
Longtime User
It's possible to run B4A in REAL Linux. Using VirtualBox (or any other emulator), it's possible to run it in virtually any device... but in Windows running into an emulator.

To run it in REAL Linux, it's necessary to use Mono. B4A is developed in .net 2.0, which is supported in Mono. If the IDE don't use pinvoke it's possible to run it. If not, it's possible to adapt it to run Linux or MacOS under Mono.

(Sorry for my very bad english)
iliberis,

Have you successfully got basic4android running on Ubuntu with Mono? Could you advise me on what to do (e.g. if I downloaded b4a.exe, what do I do with it?

I'm using ubuntu 10.04. I've installed latest Mono (2.10.5) from badgerports.org repository.

PS how do I find out if my mono version has pinvoke?

johnaaronrose

Licensed User
Longtime User
Wine

Thanks iberis. I'll try Basic4Android under Wine as I'd prefer nor to use a Virtual Machine as I don't want to install Windows on a VM.

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can install Net 2 Framework under wine, see this link using WineTricks. I did spend some time trying and got as far as the IDE Running but not displaying the edit screen, then ran out of time, I may revisit it at some point.

evilpaw

Licensed User
Longtime User
yes, but why do we need this pile of bloat ? (windows)
I am still waiting for a B4A for Linux before purchasing. - can't have three employees waste time on windows rebooting. :)

why do people put down windows at every cost. Its not really that bad. Real programmers don't care about what OS is the best or what language is a best.

IMO OS and programming languages should not be the barrier. Every OS have their strengths and weakness. You just use whatever tools necessary to get the job done for the problem at hand.

If your worried about that u have keep rebooting windows every time, then your SOE is not built properly.

If windows is that bad, then write your own OS, and then you will appreciate how much effort is involved.

*** sorry for the last line. But people are quick to judge at face value, and don't consider time and effort involved to create a product.

mksnyder

Licensed User
Longtime User
It works great...

There is NO problem whatsoever running it using a VirtualBox. We run XP in a VirtualBox on Ubuntu in our environment, and keep a couple of VirtualBox setups like this in our IT department so that we can provide quality support for our Windows users.

It compiles a nicely compact package for the Android phone, connects perfectly to upload the package using the Bridge, and allows full functionality for using the Designer.

It would be really nice to have the IDE available in native Linux, but for the price, support and ease of use in creating quality Android apps, it can't be beat!!!

johnaaronrose

Licensed User
Longtime User
stevel05,

I've installed B4a after installing Java 1.6 & AndroidSDK (involving changes to .bat files). B4a loads OK. Menu items generally work OK except 'Designer' which results in a popup stating 'An error occurred'. I'm just wondering if this is due to my trying the Trial version. Do you know?

alv

hi need help

hi johnaaronrose, i try to install basic4android using ubuntu 11.10 and wine 1.3, and after some fight :D i manage to run the program but the editor with the text do not show up ? and i cant run the avd manager, must be a problem with find_java.bat, can you help ?
What else do i need to do to make it work in linux ?

Thanks

johnaaronrose

Licensed User
Longtime User
Wine, AndroidSDK & Java 1.6

alv,

I think that you have 2 problems:

1. Android AVD manager not working: replace existing android.bat & find_java.bat by ones in attached .zip file. To make them work you need to have put the Android SDK & java 1.6 in directories in Wine's c: directory (i.e. not in c:/Program Files). Problem is due to the For command in a .bat file not working (i.e. due to bug in cmd.exe component of Wine). I'm using Wine 1.3.37 and it's not fixed there. I don't know when or if it will be fixed.

2. Creating HelloWorld app goes OK. However, subsequent viewing of the app hides the code. I believe that this is due to .Net2.0SP1 refusing to install properly under Wine. I've recorded this as a bug in Wine. I don't know when or if it will be fixed. I'm also stuck with this unless someone else finds a solution or workaround.

Attachments

• AndroidBatFiles.zip
    3.7 KB · Views: 368

alv

Hi

Thanks for quick reply, cant download your file, gives me an error, can you provide a link to rapidshare ?
The problem with not showing the text and dotnetosp1, i tryed to run with mono but so far did not work.
doing to do more test to see if i can make it work.

Under virtualbox it ok, 100% funcional, but in my machine the android emulator runs slow on virtualbox, that is why i'm trying with wine.

If any one finds a solution please dont be shy.... :)

Thanks