Fast camera modules under Linux in B4J

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, All

Maybe any suggestion about building a fast camera with help of B4J ?

I stop to think about IP-cameras that are rather slow for my need. The need is ... just a remote camera system that can grab frames say 6-10 FPS into JPG files (next will be sending it to some server, processing etc...). I mean that whole process speed (grabbing, converting to JPG) is 6-10 files per second.

Now i think that better way is to use some fast camera that is wired connected to a Linux board where B4J + ffmpeg\Python app grabs the frames, and send JPG where needed.

So, maybe any suggestion for USB camera modules to buy, or what another wired interfaces models ?
Do we have any B4J code for cameras under Linux ?

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, All

Maybe any suggestion about building a fast camera with help of B4J ?

I stop to think about IP-cameras that are rather slow for my need. The need is ... just a remote camera system that can grab frames say 6-10 FPS into JPG files (next will be sending it to some server, processing etc...). I mean that whole process speed (grabbing, converting to JPG) is 6-10 files per second.

Now i think that better way is to use some fast camera that is wired connected to a Linux board where B4J + ffmpeg\Python app grabs the frames, and send JPG where needed.

So, maybe any suggestion for USB camera modules to buy, or what another wired interfaces models ?
Do we have any B4J code for cameras under Linux ?
I think that grabbing has not only to do with the camera (at a part yes) - but has to do with the CPU/MOBO/RAM and DISK (prefer NVME)...

So if it is for example a good usb web-camera supporting 1920x1080 with a nice-simple-clean sensor....

* Having for example a good CPU i9-14900
* A MOBO support DDR5 XMP profile and PCIe-NVME at least v4
* some gigs ...DDR5 (XMP kit 64GB)
* an NVME disk like Samsung 990 Pro... (7.5MB/sec)

I think you can have more FPS... so you can understand that the Hardware... is very semantic...

Also if this pc is on network.. you can have 10Gbit Lan Card (last time used tplink... amazing for the money) ... at 10Gbit Switch (TPlink have one - good - very expensive)

You can use CAT-7 Cables that are ultra fast... or CAT-6A (supporting 10Gbit)...

Today there are many solutions... but having cost...

*** If not JPG... you can do it with signifiant lower cost... but i think you need JPG for handling them... I remember that you are using them a lot...

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I just plan to make small mobile camera unit with 4G SIM-card router that can be installed to a workshop to control some industrial machines.
So, it needs tiny Linux PC as a part.
The program stack is just Camera grabbing, JPG on a small storage, 80-port HTTP network (21 port FTP, i have touched, can be blocked at various mobile cellular networks).

Super speed of frames is also not needed: to balance the traffic and processing real speed.

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Question is what cameras may be used with what SBC...

I have checked lots of 4G IP cameras - they are very limited in functions for getting frames. The video stream is overkill also.