Android Tutorial Installing Basic4android and Android SDK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geezer

Licensed User
Longtime User
But what goes in there? the other android API versions?

I used Java before this on eclipse so I'm semi familiar with the concepts... just kinda feeling my way around b4a still

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

The only things you need to put in there are JAR and XML files from "additional libraries" which are not included in the B4A installation.

These libraries could be ones you have made yourself or downloaded.

There are many excellent libraries written by the community which are available for download for paid B4A subscribers.

IanWardell

Licensed User
Longtime User

john mad doe

Licensed User
Longtime User
problem with SDK Toll rev 22

After upgrading to SDK Tools rev. 22 and SDK Platform-tools rev.17, the aapt.exe cannot be found.

B4A can no longer compile anything.

When I want to run my program , I got the error :

Generating R file. Error
Cannot find: E:\PROGRAMMES\Android\android-sdk\tools\..\platform-tools\aapt.exe
Please configure paths (Tools - Configure Paths).

MarkLA

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have just fought the same issue for several hours. I finally gave up and copied aapt.exe from "C:\Android\build-tools\17.0.0" over to "C:\Android\platform-tools".
That solved the problem. Now will have to pay attention if it gets updated in the future.

MarkLA

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks 2.
I had searched the day before and missed Erel's response yesterday.

avalle

Licensed User
Longtime User
Any version above 8 will work fine.

Can you clarify what is the impact of having a more recent API platform installed and configured in B4A?
I don't know much about how it works but I would expect that in order to use some features in B4A that are only available in a recent API platform I should have that platform installed and configured in B4A.
Is it the case?

For example I'm compiling the Sensors example and I tried to use some additional sensors and for most of them all I get are compilation errors.
E.g. using TYPE_GRAVITY returns the following:

Error compiling program.
Error description: Unknown member: type_gravity
Occurred on line: 35
AddSensor(ps.TYPE_GRAVITY, "GRAVITY", False)

clooney48

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don´t get the Virtual Devices working! When I start a device in the AVD Manager I get always the message: "PANIC: Could not open: C:\Users\BPK\.android/avd/HTC.ini" although the progress bar is running. But no device window is opening.
After I reinstalled Java, Android SDK several times I don´t know what to do else. I hope you can help.

Windows7, Java 1.6, Android SDK r16, installed in C:\Android

clooney48

Licensed User
Longtime User
You are using an old version of Android SDK. You can try to download the latest SDK: http://dl.google.com/android/installer_r22.2.1-windows.exe

Personally I recommend you to use a real device instead of the emulator. The emulator (which is part of Android SDK) is slow and doesn't support all features.
Hi Erel!

Before I had installed Android SDK r22 but also without success. But if you say that it is slow and not perfect I will continue with the B4A Bridge. Regarding this of course it would be much more comfortable if the installtion process would start autmatically and you don´t have to confirm always. But probably this depends on phone software. Anyway, thank you for the information.

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
... if the installtion process would start autmatically and you don´t have to confirm always.
If you are using B4A Bridge that's normal, Android doesn't allow silent installs for security reasons, if you don't want to see that prompt, then connect your device via USB, however, you will need the corresponding drivers for your device.

clooney48

Licensed User
Longtime User
If you are using B4A Bridge that's normal, Android doesn't allow silent installs for security reasons, if you don't want to see that prompt, then connect your device via USB, however, you will need the corresponding drivers for your device.
Hi NJDude!

Interesting hint! Where/how do I get these drivers? And then the program runs immediately without installing and starting?
Thank you very much!

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just plug in your device to your PC, Windows might have/find the drivers for your device, otherwise, you will have to check the manufacturer's website to get the drivers.

clooney48

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just plug in your device to your PC, Windows might have/find the drivers for your device, otherwise, you will have to check the manufacturer's website to get the drivers.
Great, that´s what I wanted. Works like a charm ;-)

jcesar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi

Is Java sdk 7 compatible with b4a and android sdk ? Or i need to use the old version of jdk 6 ?

Im setting up my new development enviromment with a windows 8 machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.