Share My Creation Paratroopers (in progress)

hi

i am working on a copy of the great game from the 80's Paratroopers.
i am not using any game engine and still get a great performance!! (i have to add few stuff like collision but i believe i will still stay under 25 frames per second) at this moment the whole rendering part takes less then 1 ms (in debug mode!!)

EDIT: new look available on post #17 https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/paratroopers-in-progress.76658/#post-486973

Attachments

• paratroopers.jar
    501.1 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
there is still some work to do (draw the paratroopers, add sound, add collision, add menu, add how to play page, add highscore online list,...)

i am drawing the controls on the screen only to see how it would look like on a mobile phone but it will be possible to hide the controls when you play on desktop.
b4j is awesome

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The wars would be wonderful if everyone had your aim (you did not hit a single helicopter ).

Why create desktop games, today?

I wasted a lot of time (like right now ) but I think you should develop mobile or/and WEB games.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Why create desktop games, today?

4 reasons:

1. Own use. sometimes i need to take a break from work so i play a little bit on the pc.

2. (Main reason) when i want to make a game for ios i first make it on b4j and because b4x is almost a cross platform tool i use the code to my b4i or b4a apps. It is much simpler to make a game on b4j. U can set the window size also to a mobile phone and see how it would look like on mobile.
Compile time is much faster.

3. Promote b4j

4. Likes (just a joke)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The wars would be wonderful if everyone had your aim (you did not hit a single helicopter ).

yes it is hard to hit an object without collision detection

i have updated the first post with a new video after adding the collision detection and some improvements (explosion [lots of particles],...)
i am really impressed by b4j. i have lots of loops in my render sub and dont use any game engine libs but still get less then 1ms calculation+drawing time

Last edited:

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
yes it is hard to hit an object without collision detection
Do not get smart; I have assumed that the collision detection was not already implemented, but the reality is that the bullets have never touched the helicopters

That said, I am going to watch the new video

P.S. Ok, now you've hit some helicopter; most likely this time you have allowed someone else to play

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
first version has been uploaded in the first post. if you could try the game and tell me how it runs on your pc i would appreciate that.
i am still getting less then 1 ms for the whole render+collision sub. so thats amazing!

btw the length of the game is 663 lines. i am not using any game libs. everything is written by myself. the only libs i use are:

- jCore
- jFX
- jReflection
- jAudioClip

Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Nice

I would like the ability to rotate the cannon while shooting.

i did it like in the original game and there the shooting stops the canon (or the endpoint).
if i will do a different game with the same mechanics i would also let the user rotate the canon while shooting but here i try to make a perfect copy of the original

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
hi

I am not using any game engine and still get a great performance!! (i have to add few stuff like collision but i believe i will still stay under 25 frames per second) at this moment the whole rendering part takes less then 1 ms (in debug mode!!)

Very smooth on Celeron N2840 too !

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…