B4J Question Recognize playing cards using opencv

jroriz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Could someone help me to write a program to recognize playing cards using opencv?
The cards always appear in the same place and always with the same pattern.
What can change is the window size, which the user can freely change, but always in the same proportion.
Where the cards are is not my problem. I can with basic math know the size of the window and where
the cards would be.

Then I would crop the part of the screen where the cards are and apply opencv to the cropped image.

1666206411969.png

jroriz

Licensed User
Longtime User
The point is: OCR has become a problem due to the constant updates of the apps and also because the solution I developed (a HUD to help players make decisions) is for many different poker platforms. In two of them the cards are arranged at an angle of up to 45 degrees!

That's why I would like to use opencv, which I believe could recognize the cards regardless of platform or resolution (as long as a minimum resolution is observed).

Upvote 0

jroriz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Actually this happens too, but most of the time it's just a layout upgrade. The problem with using OCR is that if the layout changes even a few pixels to the left or right, it already interferes with the recognition of the letters.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
if the layout changes even a few pixels to the left or right, it already interferes with the recognition of the letters.

I suspect that moving by a fraction of a pixel is causing most of that problem. And then with subpixel rendering on top of that... I am impressed that OCR works as well as it mostly does. :oops:

Upvote 0

jroriz

Licensed User
Longtime User
I suspect that moving by a fraction of a pixel is causing most of that problem. And then with subpixel rendering on top of that... I am impressed that OCR works as well as it mostly does. :oops:
When the user reduces the size of the app's screen, the recognition of the letters becomes very difficult, even "isolating" the letters of the playing cards.
One feature that greatly improved recognition was repeating the image several times next to each other. For example: if the card is an A, I duplicate the image several times, say 5 times, which will generate AAAAA.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
The point is: OCR has become a problem due to the constant updates of the apps and also because the solution I developed (a HUD to help players make decisions) is for many different poker platforms. In two of them the cards are arranged at an angle of up to 45 degrees!

Any angle is a bad angle. 😢

1667380062706.png

Upvote 0

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

jroriz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry, can I ask again the scope-target of recognizing?

You have a counter of cards already played.. to not memorize them? Is it for personal use or something else to know?
A 'HUD' is a tool to assist in decision making.
The HUD shows opponents stats (how many times he voluntarily entered a hand, if he is aggressive, passive, etc).
In the case of playing cards detection, it is to know my probability of winning based on the cards I have and the cards that have already come out.
See below an example of a HUD "in action":
1667522775008.png

Upvote 0

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Could you please share the code?
How did you "train" opencv?
as i know is not actually training you must have all possible images (rotated images) or create them on the fly to check into the "original" image-screenshot with opencv.... see planar objects... ofcourse you can have some techniques (playing with brightness, grayscable, rgb, %-similarity)...

tip: sometimes blurring, or scaling a picture to minimum size has better and faster results, but not all the time... you will need a lot time to find the right settings for your tool.

Upvote 0