Android Question trialing CloudKVS on a local Windows/Android setup?

Dave O

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,

I need to move my app's data (currently stored in a local file using writeMap) to the cloud so my users can share it between devices and family members. I'm looking for some tips on how to do this. CloudKVS seems like the best solution at this point.

I don't know much about the server side of things, so I'm thinking it might be easiest to set up a test rig using my own home WiFi network, Windows laptop as the server, and some Android devices as clients.

Once that's working (fingers crossed), I could then move the server to a real server (a VPS, I'm guessing) and do it for real.

So, has anyone done this before - started with a simple home-based server and clients running Windows? (I have no experience with Unix/Linux/etc.)

Thanks!

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
So, has anyone done this before - started with a simple home-based server and clients running Windows?
Yes, many times.
You will need to use a dynamic dns service and configure the router + firewall.

CloudKVS seems like the best solution at this point.
It depends. CloudKVS solves a difficult task where data can be updated while the device is offline and later synchronize.
I'm not familiar with your exact use cases, but saving a file to the user cloud is trivial using SaveAs code. The user can choose to save the file in their Google Drive and later get it using ContentChooser (see the TextEditor example).

Upvote 0

Dave O

Licensed User
Longtime User
My use case is a checklist app (Check Off, here's the Play Store listing). Currently it's just a single-device checklist, because I use writeMap to store the text data file in DirInternal.

My users want to share their checklists across their devices and with other users on other devices (i.e. family members sharing a grocery list), so the master data should move to the cloud, and each device/user can sync with it when they launch the app (if they're connected to the net). So I do need the ability to work both offline and sync when online, hence CloudKVS looks promising.

(I've already added a backup/restore-list feature using the Google Drive API, but for syncing checklists, I'll need item-level updates (you add milk, I add bananas and remove bread).)

I'm hoping I can do a first test inside my own home network (assuming that this actually makes testing easier because there's no firewall involved).

I assume I could just hardcode a local IP address for the server running on my Windows laptop? (e.g. 192.168.1.XXX)

Anything else I need to look out for?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't know much about the server side of things, so I'm thinking it might be easiest to set up a test rig using my own home WiFi network, Windows laptop as the server, and some Android devices as clients.
hi! i dont think you have to invest in this effort. a VPS costs around 10 dollars month (may be 20 with windows server so you dont have to deal with linux) it will have an static ip, you can buy a domain and an ssl. First consider if you are ready and prepared for the technical challange that is taking this route.

I actually dont think that for your needs, its good to host it in your house, it could be a security hole for your well being.

CloudKVS is good enough for your needs.

Upvote 0

Dave O

Licensed User
Longtime User
The home setup will only be for initial testing, so I can try it with CloudKVS locally (a Windows server and some Android devices, all inside my home network).

Once I confirm that this setup works, I will then set up a proper external server (e.g. probably a VPS as you mention). Sorry if I wasn't clear in my earlier posts. :)

Upvote 0