Other B4A v9.90 BETA #2 is available for download

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
v9.90 information: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/b4a-v9-90-beta-is-available-for-download.118628/#content

This update adds support for the freshly new B4XPages library. This library, which its current version is a draft version, will change the way we build B4A apps and also cross platform apps. No longer will we need to fight with Android complex activities life cycle. Nothing will be paused. Views and subs of other "pages" will be accessible. Activities will not jump out of nowhere after a forgotten http request completes and more.
There are some limitations and of course that all previous code will work exactly as before.

A few more libraries are now internal libraries:

- B4XPreferencesDialog, PreoptimizedCLV, X2, @agraham's Gestures, @corwin42's AppCompat, NB6 and B4XDrawer.
- B4XPages is included as an internal library. It is a cross platform library and is also attached. It will work with the current B4J and B4i versions.

A template for cross platform and also non-cross platform projects is attached.

More information tomorrow...

Last edited:

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
v9.90 information: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/b4a-v9-90-beta-is-available-for-download.118628/#content

This update adds support for the freshly new B4XPages library. This library, which its current version is a draft version, will change the way we build B4A apps and also cross platform apps. No longer will we need to fight with Android complex activities life cycle.
Now this does looks extremely interesting Anywhere Software (B4XPagesManager). Lets see what you post about it tomorrow.

More information tomorrow...

BTW B4A Beta #1 is still performing absolutely great for me, and I've just installed Beta #2 :cool:

Thank you...

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I didn't want to get this thread "dirty" (actually I could have commented here) so I wrote elsewhere.
So here I add only this comment:
unnamed.jpg

And B4XPages is a b4xlib !!!

AMAZING!

I will try soooon!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Douglas Farias

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Wow, thanks...
thats is a big update.

about the pages, will be possible work with 2 or more pages?
Example: on my old projects i have 5 or 10 activitys with a layout for each, if possible convert this to pages will be nice.

i see your example, this have one page only "B4XMainPage", dou you plan add support to more pages, or it already is done?

Thx

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is not exactly an example, it is a template for a bare-bone project. If you click on Project - Add New Module - Class, you will see a new B4XPage template.

To add new page you need to:
1. Create a class for this page.
2. Add it with B4XPages.AddPage.
B4X:
'in B4XMainPage somewhere:
Dim page2 As B4XPage2
page2.Initialize
B4XPages.AddPage("page2", page2)
'Later:
B4XPages.Show("page2")

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Now I have to "discover/study" how B4XPages, a b4xlib, adds a "new menu item" that allows you to add a B4XPage (I'm very curious).
The only method I knew is:
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/custom-class-templates-in-b4a.90552/post-572445

(The B4XPages method to create that menu item seems not to work with B4J; but I'm still using B4J V. 8.10. Maybe the reason is that in B4A 9.90 I can see also B4XPagesTemplates, in B4J 8.10 it is missing. While writing/searching/studying... B4XPagesTemplates.jar is a B4A library and this is used to add that menu item! "Solved" :))

Upvote 0

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Let's wait for the new booklets to learn about the new cycle of life.
I've rotated screen to see the behaviour:
B4X:
Registro conectado a:  samsung SM-J530F
--------- beginning of main
Copying updated assets files (1)
*** Service (starter) Create ***
** Service (starter) Start **
** Activity (main) Create, isFirst = true **
** Activity (main) Resume **
** Activity (main) Pause event (activity is not paused). **
*** Service (starter) Create ***
** Service (starter) Start **
** Activity (main) Create, isFirst = true **
#SupportedOrientations attribute should be set to landscape or portrait.
** Activity (main) Create, isFirst = false **
** Activity (main) Create, isFirst = false **

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4XPages are panels/panes depending on the platform your on? so one activity/page/form with a set of panels

a way to trigger an app change might be ideal to pause a game timer or music but I guess that just remains as you wrote about backwarths compatibility.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The B4XPages method to create that menu item seems not to work with B4J; but I'm still using B4J V. 8.10. Maybe the reason is that in B4A 9.90 I can see also B4XPagesTemplates, in B4J 8.10 it is missing. While writing/searching/studying... B4XPagesTemplates.jar is a B4A library and this is used to add that menu item! "Solved"
The B4XPagesTemplates "library" was missing by mistake. It is required for the template as currently templates cannot be added to b4xlibs directly. It will be possible in the future.

Upvote 0

CaptKronos

Licensed User
I'm very excited by this changing but am wondering why it was introduced in Beta #2 rather than in the first version of the Beta? It's such a significant change it almost warrants a bump to v10.0. I can't imagine what will be introduced in v10.0!
Not sure if it intentional but the IDE's "B4A V9.90 BETA is available for download" message still points to the first Beta forum post. Should it be pointing to this, Beta #2, thread?

Upvote 0

Unobtainius

Licensed User
Longtime User
I really like the idea a lot and I could be using it for all the wrong purposes, but when I am 3 pages deep and rotate the device the first page comes back up. Is this expected behavior?

Upvote 0

CaptKronos

Licensed User
I think you have run into this limitation:
3. It does have some limitations. One notable limitation is that in B4A, the activity that holds all the pages should be locked to a single orientation

Upvote 0

Unobtainius

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, quite correct. Thanks.
Even with this limitation, I'm lovin' it.

Upvote 0