Other B4J - New IDE is available (BETA)!!!

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm excited to release the first beta version of the new IDE.

SS-2015-04-30_15.13.23.png

As discussed in this thread, the IDE was rewritten.

The new IDE is significantly more powerful, smarter, more modern and more scalable.

There are too many improvements to list them all.

I will just list some features that are less obvious:

- Press on Ctrl + Click to jump to an identifier (sub, variables, etc.).
- Themes - Ctrl + T
- Sophisticated conditional compilation: #If, #Else If, #Else and support for OR and AND.
- Dockable layout. Including support for multiple open editors.
- Find all references - F7.
- Quick search - Ctrl + F.
- Goto sub / module - Ctrl + E.
- Smarter autocomplete.
- Hover over variables and expressions in debug mode.
- Structure matching.
- Automatic warnings and errors highlighting.

Requirements

- Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0+ is required. If you are running Windows XP then you should install .Net Framework 4.0: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

- Developers running Vista or above should install .Net Framework 4.5.2: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642
It is important to install the latest version as it includes important fixes. Some of the optimizations will be disabled with older versions.

This is a beta version of a new IDE. Please make sure to backup any important project before opening it with the new IDE. You can install this IDE together with a previous version (install it to a different folder).

You can download the beta version here: www.b4x.com/b4j/files/beta.exe

Please post any issues you encounter in a new thread in B4J forums.

:)

Last edited:

Swissmade

Licensed User
Longtime User
Strange thing happening.
Open a Project copy something and close again I get a Black screen and B4J is not closed.
I have to remove it with the Task-manager.
I had also an other instance of B4J open.

Upvote 0

Swissmade

Licensed User
Longtime User
Are you able to reproduce it? Can you post a screenshot?

No Screen-shot screen is complied Black but its happening when I do a lot of Search.
No message dialog just black.
This also with only one instance of B4J running.
I will try this also with Beta 7.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jmon

Licensed User
Longtime User
I just got a problem and an error right when I opened it for the first time. I think it's because I have a lot of code modules and classes.

1. The tab list at the top that displays all the modules and classes can't show all of my modules and classes. I have 46 of them, but the tab can only show 8 + 8 in the drop down (overflow). So it only shows 16 max.
  2. In the Module tab, on the right side, when I click on a module, I get this error (with the same project of 46 module and classes, I attached the LOG):
  3. Capture.PNG
  4. Another thing, is that in the module list, the icons don't show anymore what is class or code module.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask for something. I actually like to use the top tabs a lot to navigate, and I ordered them in a way that I like. The issue with the previous IDE is that there was no way to show all the tabs at once. I was wondering if it would be possible to wrap the tabs, so they would go to another line instead of showing the overflow?

Apart from that, it really looks great, I like that it's now possible to dock the log at the bottom.

Thanks again for the great work!
jmon.

Attachments

• log.txt
    4 KB · Views: 262
Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you.

When you open the project it will open up to 7 modules. This is by design. You can later add or remove modules. There is no real reason to have all modules open. The IDE is built to open the modules automatically when needed.
There are several ways to quickly navigate to other modules.
You can use Ctrl + E and start writing the module name.

You can also Ctrl + Click on a sub or variable to jump to the declaration line.

You are using Beta #7. right?

Upvote 0

jmon

Licensed User
Longtime User
You are using Beta #7. right?
Yes, I am.

It works when I press CTRL+E then type the name and ENTER, but I get the same error if I partially type the module name, then press the DOWN arrow to select another module which is not the first one.

I also like the CTRL+click feature, and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to CTRL+Click on a Class name or Type and that would bring me to the Type declaration or to the corresponding class tab?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

jmon

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think I have found another small issue.

• I type : "Sub"
  • press "Tab"
  • select for example "ComboBox"
  • select "ValueChanged"
  • *the word "EventName" higlights itself*
  • then start typing an name of a combobox variable, like "cbx"
  • press CTRL+SPACE
  • the help menu pops up
  • Select the name of the comboBox "cbxItems.."
  • the word "_ValueChanged" dissapears.
B4X:
Sub cbxItems (Value As Object)

End sub

'instead of

Sub cbxItems_ValueChanged (Value As Object)

End sub

It wasn't like that in the previous version. Tell me if it's not clear enough.

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

positrom2

Licensed User
Longtime User
The new IDE appears to need a lot of graphics resources, seen when moving the window around, which is slowly redrawing.
Also, the screen is not updated fully, watch the screenshot.

upload_2015-5-27_11-11-53.png

Upvote 0

jmon

Licensed User
Longtime User
Also, the screen is not updated fully, watch the screenshot.
I get similar visual bugs but only with the color picker. I have an NVidia GTX 670 with latest drivers and a dual monitor setup. This issue doesn't bother me so much at the moment though.

by the way, the new IDE is perfect for dual monitor setup! I can float some windows!

Upvote 0

Swissmade

Licensed User
Longtime User
No Issues here with dual Monitor setup.
Geforce GT 740
I7 and 16GB memory

Upvote 0

positrom2

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel:
Now I have the default theme, it exhibits the same behavior.
My system is an Intel I5-3570, using the Intel HD Graphics 4000 with dual monitors.
No question: the new IDE is much more slow than the older ones in updating the screen.
Any other application-screen I can move around and it follows instantly.

Upvote 0