B4w(indows phones) what do you say?

Would you purchase b4w(indows8) ?

• Total voters

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the problem is that it's too bloated and slow compared to most alternatives.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Express 2013 for Windows
You can use the tools in Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows to create innovative and compelling Windows Phone and Windows Store apps on Windows 8.1. The tools include a full-featured code editor, a powerful debugger, a focused profiler, and rich language support that you can use to build apps that you write in HTML5/JavaScript, C++, C#, or Visual Basic.

[I can't try, it requires Windows 8.1 and I have win7 - but I do not want to develop for windows phone :D]

if erel will decide not to make b4w then I will have no other option and will learn visual studio 2013

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you always have the html/js options but you probably still need VS to wrap it into a valid app format.

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is the WinPhone market so small because there are not enough apps?

B4W could address that problem. I have clients waiting for ports of my apps to WinPhone.

B4W could be a big catalyst in increasing the market share of WinPhone.

Ok, the market is small now but there is very big potential to grow.

I see a big opportunity, especially by getting in early, not only for Erel and Anywhere Software, but for us developers too.
Correct !

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have also VS 2012 but Express. I think that it does not allow the development for windows phone, if I remember well.
Visual Studio 2013 is what I am using for creating windows phone 8.1 apps. There is a learning curve required, however, once you get your head around the MS way of doing things, its ok. I will say this, be under no illusion, Microsoft are going after the corporate market as that is where the money is. A lot of government agencies in Ireland and the UK are issuing Windows phones to their staff as it complements the existing investment in the Windows Back-office infrastructure they currently have, most common use is secure email. I know this to be true as most of our business lies with such agencies.

To be fair to Erel, it's big ask for him to develop 'B4W', I suspect Erel is doing most if not all of the work on his own.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't see why that requires windows phones, a decade ago other phone OSs already had secures mail sync. towards Microsoft Exchange mail servers.

Did you ever thought about the fact that MS released their own Remote Desktop app for Android?
Would they do that if they predicted that every company would use a windows phone instead to connect to a remote desktop environment? I doubt it.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
that means that less developers are interested in this market and that will give you a good opportunity to sell your apps for those 10% (i guess 10% are few million users) and don't forget that almost every home has 1 pc (or more, i got 4 windows pc and 1 mac) so windows is still in this business and they don't sleep, i believe they will cover much more with new products and win10. people are always looking for something new and windows phone are normally much cheaper then ios/android phones, and your apps can also run on every windows notebook that runs windows 8/10 so your apps will not be only for windows phones, also for tablets and notebooks.
The Windows Phone store is actually populating quiet well, the fact is that some developers (especially main stream developer) are actually converting over some great app for Windows Phone, but the end user world wide is basically not that interested in shitty tiles, and I do not blame them either. I know some Microsoft tech engineers that do remote login and telephone support for customers. Even though they all have Android phones (apart from one who has a Windows Phone and want to change back to iOS), when we are in the pub some evenings they are always complaining that their bosses want them to have Windows phones, saying that in the future they will be supporting them on Windows networks. I also know that a lot on accounting companies give their top staff Windows phones these days, my friends Keith and Paul who both work for different accounting companies have been moaning like mad that they have been given company Windows Phones, both of which then went out and purchased Nexus and and Nexus 6 respectively. I have a Windows Phone here, no thank you, I'll stick to Android or even iOS.

I agree with @Peter Simpson .there it says Windows only has 2.7% covered. (not sure if it is right, but who does know the right figures?)
He is correct that world wide it is about the 2.7% mark, but I did say that 10.1% was European share which is about correct.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I guess they hoped that people loyal to Nokia would all jump over to Windows phones. Wrong guess me thinks. :)

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
MS wanted to get into the mobile market, who can blame them? Rather than develop their own phones, they bought a struggling company, who can blame them?

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
And that is the problem with living in the other side of the world, you lose the hot topics.

a While while ago the Smartphones were Windows phones and at that time wow those cellphones were amazing, i still conserve my Palm treo (as a reliq that i use everytime my wife lose her cellphone), and who can forget the mighty HTC HD2 Leo, the samsung omnia, Sony Ericcson Xperia 1.

MS had his golden age in the mobile market, quite a shame they only have 2.7% of the market now. sigh sigh sigh

Well, keeping with the thread, i have bought more apps for my lumia 720 than for android (mainly because windows store accepts paypal), i understand that there are 1 app in the WPStore for 100 apps in Google Play, but the ones i have bought for my Lumia are quite good and very very stable and that is invaluable, AND that comes because Wphone is a very good OS.

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
As I see it an extension of B4J to support mobile clients (JavaScript) is more interesting. Something similar to Google GWT.
Hello Erel,
Is it something you plan or only thinking about ?

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
To be fair to Erel, it's big ask for him to develop 'B4W', I suspect Erel is doing most if not all of the work on his own.

Basically, he does it all by itself and this is at least incredible! I called him "monster", hoping that he will not be offended :D
The tools of which i do not repeat the name (too late :)) is developed by dozens of programmers, I suppose, if not hundreds!