Basic4android v1.60 beta version is released

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The first beta version of v1.60 will be released shortly.
The main new feature in this version is support for home screen widgets: http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4andr...roid-home-screen-widgets-tutorial-part-i.html

Other features:
- IDE supports Android SDK 2.2 or above.
- String.Contains, LastIndexOf, LastIndexOf2.
- Fix for Honeycomb spinner issue.
- "Do not overwrite manifest option" added to project properties. An example manifest is created when this option is selected allowing you to compare the two manifests.
- RndSeed keyword.
- Activity KeyUp event.
- Phone.HideKeyboard method.
- Spinner.TextColor / TextSize
- Designer - Create new variant - list of standard variants now appears.
- Tools - IDE Options - Timeout value.
- A combo box with the list of subs appears in the upper tool bar.
- Service_Start method now gets the starting intent (optionally).
- Activity.GetStartingIntent / SetActivityResult - makes it possible to return results to 3rd party applications.
- Handling of applications started by services improved. Services will not restart automatically if the process was stopped.
- Bug fixes and other minor improvements.

Backwards compatibility issue
- The phone object in Phone library was changed. As most of its methods do not require any permission, the methods that do require the READ_STATE permission were moved to PhoneId and the vibrate method that requires the VIBRATE permission was moved to PhoneVibrate. This change helps with minimizing the required permissions.

The Intent object has also moved from the phone library to the core library.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I just got another Android SDK structure related error.

Compiling code. 0.06
Generating R file. 0.03
Compiling generated Java code. 1.33
Convert byte code - optimized dex. Error
Unable to access jarfile C:\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools\lib\dx.jar
Standard dexer.

For some reason the optimised dexer chokes on adding the same string to a spinner twice.

B4X:
   sp.Initialize("sp")
   activity.AddView(sp,100%x/2-100dip,100%y-200dip,100dip,100dip)
   sp.Add("one")
   sp.Add("two")
   sp.Add("two") ' Duplicating the entry kicks off the standard dexer!

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Spinner_ItemClick seems fine on Xoom with Android 3.0.

It's odd that the same code sometimes errors in the optimised dexer and some times goes through OK. Once it's worked once it seems to carry on working until you edit the code again. I've not noticed this before, but then I only noticed now because of the SDK path problem. Has anything changed in the optimised dexer? Initialisation problem somewhere?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
When do you get the first error? When the optimized dexer fails and the standard dexer is started? Or do you get it every time?
When the optimized dexer fails and the standard dexer is started. It's the same path problem as before with the old structure SDK with tools under each platform.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
It's odd that the same code sometimes errors in the optimised dexer and some times goes through OK. Once it's worked once it seems to carry on working until you edit the code again. I've not noticed this before, but then I only noticed now because of the SDK path problem. Has anything changed in the optimised dexer? Initialisation problem somewhere?
The optimized dexer wasn't modified in this version. It waits a few seconds before starting another background compilation. I guess that you have tried running it before the background compilation was ready.

It's the same path problem as before with the old structure SDK with tools under each platform.
Will check it...

Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
...The phone object in Phone library was changed. As most of its methods do not require any permission, the methods that do require the READ_STATE permission were moved to PhoneId and the vibrate method that requires the VIBRATE permission was moved to PhoneVibrate. This change helps with minimizing the required permissions.

The Intent object has also moved from the phone library to the core library.

I have an app that uses the Phone library to get the battery level to display (PE_BatteryChanged). I expected that when I recompiled with 1.6 and installed the new APK, it wouldn't ask for Phone permission, but it still does. What am I missing?

Upvote 0

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My first widget test

My first test of a homescreen widget

Yes, the weather data is correct (not good here for the next days)

Attachments

• AHWeather_Screenshot2.jpg
    AHWeather_Screenshot2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 293
Upvote 0

corwin42

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Looks great!
You are passing an image, right?

No its a complete layout with 5 Imageviews and many labels. Works nice.

Upvote 0

hdtvirl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Download Beta 1.60

Hello everybody I am a total newbie to both Android development and B4Android.

I was wondering where I can download the B4A 1.60 Beta from on this site.

I have just installed the full version today which is 1.5 and like to start with the latest version (Even a Beta version).

Look forward to chatting with you all.

Regard

hdtvirl :sign0104:

Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have an app that uses the Phone library to get the battery level to display (PE_BatteryChanged). I expected that when I recompiled with 1.6 and installed the new APK, it wouldn't ask for Phone permission, but it still does. What am I missing?

Just wanted to confirm that with the new beta, I'm not getting the Phone permission anymore.:icon_clap:

Upvote 0

Pfriemler

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is a short beta cycle. The beta version is not publicly available. The full version should be released in a few days. Currently planned for next Sunday. You will get an email once it is released.

Hope I will benefit from 1.6, too ...? "small license", bought 19/5/2011

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel,

Honeycomb-users of my app, compiled with the previous version of B4A, are reporting problems with the spinner (I guess related to SelectedItem or SelectedIndex - haven't been able to verify yet). It seems like the value selected is not retained or obtained.

I noted that the beta includes a fix for a Spinner-issue with Honeycomb. Can you tell me if the fix is related to the problems I mentioned above. If yes, are you able to send me a link where this problem is being discussed.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

TrisectDevelopment

Licensed User
Longtime User
Strange but I thought I would get an e-mail when it was released.
But I have not. I think that my two months has gone but I still would like to buy it.

I got the mail, it was in my Spamfilter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0