Basic4android v2.52 is released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm very happy to release Basic4android v2.52. This version includes many important new features and improvements. The focus in this update is on large projects.

Performance improvements

• Compilation time in debug mode is similar to compilation in release mode.
  • Many performance and memory related improvements in the IDE. The IDE should be much more responsive (some of the improvements will only be applied after you first save the project with the new version).
New features
  • Compile to library. This feature allows you to reuse components and break large projects into smaller projects.
  • Module attributes.
  • Custom build actions - See the attributes tutorial.
  • Native support for Google maps (requires Android 3+).
  • Sign key signatures are displayed in the key dialog.
  • List Permissions button in compilation window - Lists the permissions and the objects that added them.
  • Quotes in string literals - Double quotes in string literals will be treated as a single quote:
    B4X:
    Log("Hello ""world""") 'Will log: Hello "World"
  • RemovePermission keyword in the manifest editor.
  • DateTime.DateTimeParse keyword - Combination of DateParse and TimeParse.
  • SQL - Asynchronous queries and asynchronous batch inserts.
  • Contacts2.GetContactsAsync - Asynchronously retrieve contacts information.
  • Accessibility library.
  • Bug fixes and other minor improvements.

All customers who are eligible for a free update should receive a mail with update instructions. Other customers will receive a mail with a discount offer.

Please allow up to 24 hours for the mail to arrive.

I want to thank all the customers who helped with the beta version, and also all the members of this great community!
:icon_clap:

Edit: Basic4android v2.52 is now available to all users who received version 2.50. You can use the same link as before. This update fixes several IDE issues as well as an issue related to user types in library compilation mode.

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Congratulations Erel, you created a fantastic product with Basic4PPC (which I still use occassionally) and now an even better product with Basic4Andriod. Long may it continue! :sign0188:
I just wish I had more time to learn the language and then I might be better placed to help out in the Forum as all I do these days is ask questions :eek:

Kind regards,
RandomCoder

Upvote 0

Smee

Licensed User
Longtime User
Congratulations Erel, you created a fantastic product with Basic4PPC (which I still use occassionally) and now an even better product with Basic4Andriod. Long may it continue! :sign0188:
I just wish I had more time to learn the language and then I might be better placed to help out in the Forum as all I do these days is ask questions :eek:

Kind regards,
RandomCoder

+1 to both comments. I also still use b4ppc on a semi regular basis
:sign0188::sign0188:

Upvote 0

CidTek

Licensed User
Longtime User
Wow the 2 years sure went fast as I see my subscription just expired last week. Heading to the upgrade link right now.
Thanks Erel!
:sign0098:

Upvote 0

Stulish

Licensed User
Longtime User
Great Job Erel,

I just noticed the basic4ppc website still have version 2.3 as the Latest News??

Looking forward to playing with 2.5 :)

Stu

Upvote 0

gulliver

Licensed User
Longtime User
Marvelous.
Downloaded and installed.
I try to test it in the evening.
B4A, the best buy on the net done so far.
Amazing, the ability of Mr. Erel, to improve every time an already excellent product.
Thank you, thank you very much.

Upvote 0

robife

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, this is excellent peace of software, I just simply love B4A.
And yes subscription expired for me too but I had only for 2 months.
I hope Erel give us some COUPONG codes for even chiper Upgrade. ;)

Upvote 0

specci48

Licensed User
Longtime User
:sign0094: Again two years gone since my last update? Time is running so fast. :sign0148:

Well, on the positive side Erel really deserves some more money for this outstanding piece of software. So let's pick up the credit card for the next two years... :)

specci48

Upvote 0

Sonny

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Erel, I do most development on OsX. I have managed to run some windows-based programs on Mac via Wine emulation. But in the case of B4A that need the SDK, is there a way to compile with the MacOSx SDK or any other way ?

thanks..

I've managed to get b4Android working somewhat using "WineSkin". I had to build a generic "skin" (Wine Wrapper), use their installer to apply .NET 2.0, manually copy the Java JDK 7 and the Android SDK to "C:". These were preinstalled Windows copies that I just dragged over to the WineSkin folder's "C:\Program Files" location. Obviously, you'll be using the Windows version of the JDK and Android SDK in this setup. In this config, I also have the Android SDK installed in Mac OS X, so I access Fastboot and ADB natively in Mac, so I don't know if these items will work properly in Wine or not.

Note; when all was said and done, the "App" ended up taking up crazy disk space - thanks to the Android SDK. You can use JDK 7 update 5 - anything after that automatically installs other Java specific stuff you don't need for b4a (can you say "too much unnecessary crap?").

The IDE appears to function pretty well, and I can compile release versions of APK's. Fonts appear to be a little tricky though. The BlueTooth and WiFi bridges don't work (maybe you know how to fix that). I haven't tried any other features yet - such as Debug mode or Code Signing - it was only a passing curiosity that I tried this; I do my dev work on a Mac in VMware running Windows XP. The b4A product works flawlessly in that configuration.

>> Sonny <<

Upvote 0

rabiuls

Licensed User
Longtime User
Great!!

Thanks a lot!!!

I think this version is complete, considering what can be done with android sdk on eclipse, now can be done with Basic4android. Specially, the library creating feature. If there is lack of anything in Basic4android, make it on eclipse as B4A library.

Anyway, please inform if there is anything I have missed. Also it would be good, if someone can compare eclipse with latest Basic4Android - "Java Android SDK with eclipse VS Basic4android".

Finally, many thanks to Erel and the community. :sign0098:

Best regards.

Upvote 0

PhilN

Licensed User
Longtime User
Keep up the excellence!

Hi Erel,

I just want to say thank you for putting together such an amazing piece of software. I was able to put together a full blown app in just one week which included bluetooth comms. Without B4A it would have been impossible! What a time saver. Awesome software! What a breeze...! :icon_clap: Thanks!

Upvote 0

masterlaf

Licensed User
Longtime User
Estimado

Felicitacion por la actualizacion , trabajo con 2.30 y es muy bueno est version viene mejor

atte.-

Lito Aguayo

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.