Basic4android v2.71 is released!

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Basic4android v2.71 is now available. I would first like to thank the beta testers for their help and feedback :icon_clap:.

This version includes many improvements including several major new features:

• Compiler warnings - A new warning engine that helps finding common errors as soon as possible:

SS-2013-05-02_17.41.51.png

• Custom views with designer support - Developers can create custom views (with classes or libraries) that can be added with the visual designer. This feature makes it possible to build the complete layout with the designer and designer scripts.
  • Classes properties - a long-awaited feature.
  • Bitmaps handling improved - LoadBitmap / LoadBitmapSample internally handle out of memory errors by down-scaling the image. The visual designer loads images based on the target size to preserve memory.
  • DateTime.ListenToExternalTimeChanges - raises an event when the device time is set or when the time zone changes (and updates the internal time zone used).
  • CallSub keyword improvements:
    Returns Object instead of String.​
    Sender is set when calling from a class. This is useful for events implementation.​
    Significant performance improvements when calling subs in classes.​
    No error is raised if the target sub is not found when calling from a class. This is useful for events implementation.​
  • #LibraryName attribute. Sets the compiled library name.
  • Libraries dependencies resolver was improved and it can now handle cases such as described here.
  • Logs are colored based on the message type.
  • LogColor keyword - Similar to Log. The message will be displayed in the IDE with the specified color.
  • Screenshot tool improved.
  • HttpUtils2 and DateUtils are now included as libraries in the IDE.
  • Bug fixes and other minor improvements (including "run last deployment" feature).

Version 2.71 is now available for download from the same link as v2.70. This update fixes the following issues:
  • Low quality images when adding images with the designer
  • CallSub casing fails with some numeric types
  • Support for the new location of aapt.exe
  • Other minor improvements

GPJMA

Licensed User
Longtime User
I just downloaded the new update. Awesome...just like all the other improvements over the years.
It makes me want to be less of a casual user and spend a lot more time with this.
Thanks as always for the support.

Upvote 0

silverbyte

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have yet not recieved the link to download the new version. I have a 2year paid subscription to basic4android.

I think the email address is not properly setup. (Actually the correct email address is entered i just checked)
Where do i download the new version?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sktanmoy

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've lost

I've lost my B4A installation and license file after OS reload. Erel, you should keep an option/panel for premium users who can download logging into their panel.

Upvote 0

uswin4224

Licensed User
Longtime User
[*] Bitmaps handling improved - LoadBitmap / LoadBitmapSample internally handle out of memory errors by down-scaling the image. The visual designer loads images based on the target size to preserve memory.

Hi Erel, is this feature work when we use the b4a live wallpaper library, loading bitmap in canvas?

If this also work in live wallpaper library, I might have to save some money to buy this version

Thnaks

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
comment

My apk's are often (much) larger than the great tool I use to develop them...

Is the entire contents of the "Files" folder included in the resulting apk? (I throw many images in there when testing).

Thanks

Upvote 0

IanMc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yup think so

Yes, I believe that everything in the files folder is included in the apk

This means you can put html files in there and open them with the WebView :)

Great for a simple way to make help pages within your app.

btw.... Over 10,000 views of this thread!

Is B4a getting popular or what?

added: Make an html file like this ... index.html
B4X:
<html><head></head><body>
<center>
<table width="90%"><tr><td>
<h1>This is the index</h1>
this is some text
</td></tr></table>
</center>
</body></html>

and although not strictly legal html5 :) it does look good on any screen size or orientation!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

luke2012

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upgrade from B4A 1.93

Hi,
I'm planning to upgrate from the version 1.93 to the last B4A version.

I have a couple of question about this :

1) I known that the last version add several new features but could be some issue to migrate a 1.93 project to 2.70 IDE ?

2) How much to upgrade ?

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel, is this feature work when we use the b4a live wallpaper library, loading bitmap in canvas?
This feature work whenever you load a bitmap with LoadBitmap or LoadBitmapSample or Bitmap.Initialize or Bitmap.InitializeSample.

@Harris, please start a new thread for your question.

@luke please contact [email protected] about the upgrade options.

New versions are backwards compatible with previous versions. However in some versions there are some small issues which you should be aware of. You can see them in the release thread for each version.
http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4andr...ic4android-changelog-versions.html#post111319

Upvote 0

Theera

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ask about version 2.71

Hi Erel,
Custom views with designer support - Developers can create custom views (with classes or libraries) that can be added with the visual designer. This feature makes it possible to build the complete layout with the designer and designer scripts.

It's mean that
If I use your datepicker class,I could insert this view on the layout directly.

I understand True or False?

Upvote 0

pcmaik

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel, I have purchased the Enterprise version on 18/07/2011.
So I am entitled to two years updates
So far I have received no download link for version 2.7.
On May 14 and May 28, I have written a e-mail to
[email protected] .
But I get no response. :sign0085:

Upvote 0