Other Basic4android v3.00 BETA is released

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all!

The first beta version of Basic4android v3.00 is released.

The main new feature in this version is the rapid debugger: Rapid Debugger
The rapid debugger makes it much easier and quicker to test and debug your code.

Other improvements:
  • Better support for large number of background tasks. This update (together with an update to the Http library) allows you to send hundreds of requests at once.
  • B4A-Bridge - Last 5 IP addresses are stored. F2 connects to the last one. Some other small improvements in the connection process.
  • For loop performance improvement.
  • Activity / Panel.GetAllViewsRecursive. Provides a simple way to iterate over all views.
  • Color picker. Right click in the code editor to show it.
  • List.SortTypeCaseInsensitive method.
  • PhoneSms.Send2 - send sms without notifications.
  • Screenshots tool - Copy to clipboard.
  • Compilation window closes automatically when it loses focus.
  • Bug fixes and other minor improvements (including the fix for Android 4.3 back key issue and the IDE scrolling issue).
Customers (with an enterprise license) who are eligible for a free upgrade should receive an email with a download link.

The rapid debugger feature is the most complicated improvement since B4A v1.00. This is a beta version. It is more than likely that you will encounter issues with it...
Please post any issue in a new thread in the questions forum tagged with the Beta prefix.

v3.00 BETA #6 is now available in the same link. It fixes the issues discussed in the forum.

You can install this version together with other versions of Basic4android.

Thank you all for your help!
:)

Last edited:

Eduard

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think that points 1 and 3 are related to version 3. APK installation is managed by Android SDK.

In which way does the rapid debugger fails? Do you get any error message?
Application doesn't start. If I try to start it manual it says: "Waiting for IDE debugger to connect."" for about 10 seconds, and then the app quits.

Installing file.
** Activity (main) Pause, UserClosed = false **
PackageAdded: package: --------------
** Activity (main) Create, isFirst = true **
** Activity (main) Resume **
** Activity (main) Create, isFirst = true **
Connected to B4A-Bridge (Wifi)
sending message to waiting queue (CallSubDelayed - UpdateStatus)
Installing file.
Connected to B4A-Bridge (Wifi)
sending message to waiting queue (CallSubDelayed - UpdateStatus)

Upvote 0

margret

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel

You said in your latest email that the code ran fine. I just connected a different device via USB and tried the debug(Rapid) again. The APP runs and as soon as I select Agree to the EULA, it throws the same error in the log and then displays:

Unfortunately, CURB has stopped.

I have now tried this on four different devices both with B4A Bridge(WiFi) and USB connected. I get the same results in the Rapid mode on each device.

Upvote 0

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello Erel,
I was just playing about with the original downloaded MitmapMesh code (attached to this post) which used the Accelerated Surface library with the new Debug (Rapid) feature. I've found that on my Nexus 7 2013 tablet via B4A-Bridge, it causes the app to hang. This MitmapMesh app works perfectly fine with Debug (legacy), Release and Release (obfuscated), it just crashed with Debug (Rapid) when it's executed.

B4A 3 Beta #5

Attachments

• BitmapMesh.zip
    427.7 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Beta #6 is now available in the same link. It fixes all the reproducible bugs. There is also a new "restart" button:

SS-2013-10-06_15.40.57.png

Upvote 0

jai

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all!

The first beta version of Basic4android v3.00 is released.

The main new feature in this version is the rapid debugger: Rapid Debugger
The rapid debugger makes it much easier and quicker to test and debug your code.

Other improvements:
  • Better support for large number of background tasks. This update (together with an update to the Http library) allows you to send hundreds of requests at once.
  • B4A-Bridge - Last 5 IP addresses are stored. F2 connects to the last one. Some other small improvements in the connection process.
  • For loop performance improvement.
  • Activity / Panel.GetAllViewsRecursive. Provides a simple way to iterate over all views.
  • Color picker. Right click in the code editor to show it.
  • List.SortTypeCaseInsensitive method.
  • PhoneSms.Send2 - send sms without notifications.
  • Screenshots tool - Copy to clipboard.
  • Compilation window closes automatically when it loses focus.
  • Bug fixes and other minor improvements (including the fix for Android 4.3 back key issue and the IDE scrolling issue).
Customers (with an enterprise license) who are eligible for a free upgrade should receive an email with a download link.

The rapid debugger feature is the most complicated improvement since B4A v1.00. This is a beta version. It is more than likely that you will encounter issues with it...
Please post any issue in a new thread in the questions forum tagged with the Beta prefix.

v3.00 BETA #6 is now available in the same link. It fixes the issues discussed in the forum.

You can install this version together with other versions of Basic4android.

Thank you all for your help!
:)
Hi Erel,

The rapid Debug is a remarkable addition. In trying to run current apps in this Beta I have run into an error-

Unexpected event (missing RaiseSynchronousEvents): pdfwriter1_conversiondone

App execution is terminated at this error.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Malky

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just installed this and am getting errors all over? Can I get the last version please?

Malky

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,

The rapid Debug is a remarkable addition. In trying to run current apps in this Beta I have run into an error-

Unexpected event (missing RaiseSynchronousEvents): pdfwriter1_conversiondone

App execution is terminated at this error.

Thanks

This error means that this library needs to be updated with the new RaisesSynchronousEvents annotation. However as it can take a while for the library developers to update their libraries, there are also two possible workarounds:
1. Edit PDFWriter.xml and manually add the annotation.
2. Add an "exception" to the file LibrariesExceptions.txt. This file is included in v3.0. It lists all the known objects that should be updated.

The exception should be:
B4X:
1: PDFWriter.ConverseDocument
I've added it to this file so it will be included in the next beta.

Note that if you check the unfiltered logs you will see the complete stack trace. This is useful to find which call actually caused the event to be raised (I assumed that it is a call to ConverseDocument, however it might be something else).

Upvote 0

stefanoa

Licensed User
Longtime User
There's a problem with UltimateListView library (3.91) in debug (rapid):
the display is very slow and then exity with an error:
Unexpected event (missing RaiseSynchronousEvents): bmp_placeholder
and the app is closed

thanks

Upvote 0