B4J Question Call Powershell from b4j

gezueb

Licensed User
Longtime User
I try to call powershell with the parameters:
PowerShell -Command "Add-Type –AssemblyName System.Speech; (New-Object System.Speech.Synthesis.SpeechSynthesizer).Speak('hello');"
However, I cannot figure out how to do it.
B4X:
    shl.Initialize("shl", "java", _
         Array As String("Powershell -Command Add-Type –AssemblyName System.Speech;(New-Object System.Speech.Synthesis.SpeechSynthesizer).Speak('Good Morning');"))
does nothing, not even throw an exception. The shl.process_completed is not raised. If the above command line however is entered in powershell, it works.
Thanks for help:)

Chris2

Licensed User
I'm not sure about the arguments you're using there, or setting the command as "java", but you need to run the command after initialising:
B4X:
shl.Initialize("shl", "java", _
         Array As String("Powershell -Command Add-Type –AssemblyName System.Speech;(New-Object System.Speech.Synthesis.SpeechSynthesizer).Speak('Good Morning');"))
shl.Run(-1)

Upvote 0

gezueb

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you, Chris, I did not copy this statement in my first post, but I tried run / runsynchronous / runwithoutputevents. No luck. So maybe there is something wring with the parameters.

Upvote 0

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Upvote 0

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X:
Dim js As Shell
    Dim params As List
    params.Initialize
    Dim mystring As String=$"(Add-Type ....your command......)"$
    js.InitializeDoNotHandleQuotes("js", "powershell.exe", Array(mystring))
    js.WorkingDirectory="c:\windows\system32"   
    js.Run(-1)
    Wait for (js) js_ProcessCompleted (Success As Boolean, ExitCode As Int, StdOut As String, StdErr As String)
    'Log(StdOut)

Upvote 0

gezueb

Licensed User
Longtime User
The problem is obviously where you entered "your command" ! So I looked for a workaround and found one with Balabolka. It has a free download for a command line utility (balcon.exe) and is easy to call:

B4X:
Sub Button1_Click
    Private TextString As String = TextField1.text 'entered in the main form
    fx.Clipboard.SetString(TextString) 'get it to the clipboard
    shl.Initialize("shl","c:\program files\balcon\balcon.exe",Array As String("-c")) 'or any other reasonable path to balcon.exe
    shl.Run(10000) 'plenty of timeout
End Sub

Sub shl_ProcessCompleted (Success As Boolean, ExitCode As Int, StdOut As String, StdErr As String)
    If Success And ExitCode = 0 Then
        Log("Success")
        Log(StdOut)
    Else
        Log("Error: " & StdErr)
    End If
End Sub

the -c command (there are a tad of others commands) speaks the contents of the text in the clipboard. Thanks to all for the help!

Upvote 0

GMan

Licensed User
Longtime User
I also use Balcon for speech output.
Very nice

Upvote 0