Donation or Purchase for Source Code - Right Term

Selling/Sharing (with a value) pieces of Source-Code must have "Donation" or "Purchase" for button

• Total voters

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well.. many times in the Forum... in categories like "Share your Creations" - we have "sales" of source code (I know that because many times I ve shared my source code at low prices).

Many of us asking for "Donation" and not Selling the Code with "Purchase" Button. Which is the reason selecting Donation and not Purchase ?

At my project-source-code (at many) I am telling that: When you buy you must contribute (not only with money but share your knowledge) ... and I believe that... OK I ve made a start - I am giving you (i think a good point to start coding) - now you must give more to our community - to those have this code...
The source-code I am selling is not a ready product (s)... is for use it to create your products but if you find something that will make the code better I think you must share it.

From the other hand Donation is a gift to someone... to reward him for his inventions, patents and not wait nothing from him... but here we are a community and we want to help each other - so sharing pieces of code will make all happy.

"Purchase" is for something "ready" as product - you must give warranty that works... 100% and support it for years... but is that the right Term for source-code that everyone can change ? Purchase will make the price-value of product (source-code here)... more expensive !

Let's talk about it ?

What do you think ?

Is it selling or sharing with a value ?

Selling/Sharing (with a value) pieces of Source-Code must have "Donation" or "Purchase" for button ?

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think you're making this a bit too complicated. This is how I see it:

Purchase

When you purchase something you get what you purchase. If it's unclear what you're purchasing you should simply ask for more information about it.
  • "Does it work fully as-is or am I supposed to finish something?"
  • "Will you be able to give me support for a month while I implement in my app?"
  • etc
Do not assume you will get things that are not explicitly stated. (Example: Don't assume you'll get years of support even though nothing is stated about the support.) Typically you won't get the actual product before you pay, but there might be exceptions to that. One purchase can be different from another purchase, it's meaningless to try to create a "forum standard purchase" or something like it. It would be like herding cats (very difficult).

Bottom line: Make it explicit, expect nothing more than what is stated.

Donation

When you donate, you do it for a good cause. It can be for anything, but from a forum scope it might for instance be when somebody publish a library free for all to use, and you appreciate their effort and want to make a contribution back to them. You will get nothing extra from a donation, other than a warm feeling that you made something nice for somebody else.

Bottom line: Expect nothing back, it's just a nice gesture.

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I feel like I am lost in "translation" - Yes ofcourse "paying money for getting something back" is "purchase", but are we really want to give something back ? (or we need a reward first and second more hands-brains to achieve something more).

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
he source-code I am selling is not a ready product (s)... is for use it to create your products but if you find something that will make the code better I think you must share it.
ehh what?
if you sell a source that is not finished you expect the buyer to improve the source and bring it to a finish product and MUST share it again for free?
WHY?

it does not make any sense.

in my opinion if someone is paying for a source it is now his and he can do what ever he want accept of SELLING the source to another person because he buys a copy and not the rights to sell it. besides that what he does is his business.

i also think that it is important to share free sources in the forum and contribute to the forum because many things and sometimes all our knowledge is from this forum so giving back is the right behavior. i have nothing against selling sources i also did it couple of times but i also share many many sources for free.

XorAndOr

Licensed User
Longtime User
May be Purchase or Donation are not the only words... "Contribute" is more close to this we need as Developers... but not only with money... but with sharing knowledge too..
Purchase should be something that has been tested and working, at least until the time of publication in the case of the source code. The user who buys is responsible for what he has bought. Donation means that one is free to donate any amount above 0, regardless of whether the code is complex or just an example but that to the developer starting it is a godsend. But I would like to point out a detail that I often notice by reading the various forum posts, there are developers who in good faith publish their sources and estimate a donation, for example a minimum of 5 euros, a minimum of 10 euros. In this case how could it be called, purchase or donation? (sorry for the translation)

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
ehh what?
if you sell a source that is not finished you expect the buyer to improve the source and bring it to a finish product and MUST share it again for free?
WHY?

in my opinion if someone is paying for a source it is now his and he can do what ever he want accept of SELLING the source to another person because he buys a copy and not the rights to sell it. besides that what he does is his business.

i also think that it is important to share free sources in the forum and contribute to the forum because many things and sometimes all our knowledge is from this forum so giving back is the right behavior. i have nothing against selling sources i also did it couple of times but i also share many many sources for free.

"..WHY?.."
Because no one software can be considere 'ended' or 'finished product', if you have coded this is clear
Then, any buyers, can improve the quality of project, and share to the other

"..if someone is paying for a source it is now his and he can do what ever.."
Depends on agreement with the seller

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
Well.. many times in the Forum... in categories like "Share your Creations" - we have "sales" of source code (I know that because many times I ve shared my source code at low prices).

Many of us asking for "Donation" and not Selling the Code with "Purchase" Button. Which is the reason selecting Donation and not Purchase ?

At my project-source-code (at many) I am telling that: When you buy you must contribute (not only with money but share your knowledge) ... and I believe that... OK I ve made a start - I am giving you (i think a good point to start coding) - now you must give more to our community - to those have this code...
The source-code I am selling is not a ready product (s)... is for use it to create your products but if you find something that will make the code better I think you must share it.

From the other hand Donation is a gift to someone... to reward him for his inventions, patents and not wait nothing from him... but here we are a community and we want to help each other - so sharing pieces of code will make all happy.

"Purchase" is for something "ready" as product - you must give warranty that works... 100% and support it for years... but is that the right Term for source-code that everyone can change ? Purchase will make the price-value of product (source-code here)... more expensive !

Let's talk about it ?

What do you think ?

Is it selling or sharing with a value ?

Selling/Sharing (with a value) pieces of Source-Code must have "Donation" or "Purchase" for button ?

Is very simple

Purchase: when you must pay, then receive a program
Donation: when you receive a program, then you can pay or not

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ehh what?
WHY?

Yes... The buyer/donator/purchasor know the status of product-source code "it can do those things" - "it can't do that"...

So he want to customized at his meters with his knowledge - but - the creator/developer giving him Rules (not to sell it again as is and if found bugs or new features will make it better share it at forum) - With some words... the buyer no need to start from 0 but from the point developer set.

First... Donates for rewarding...

and Second gets the source-code to contribute... and create something better.. or customized (Do not forget we aren't Google Play Store... we are Forum with Developers, or people that like coding, i think it is simple)

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Is very simple

Purchase: when you must pay, then receive a program
Donation: when you receive a program, then you can pay or not

I'd put it like this:

Purchase: when you must pay to receive something
Donation: when give somebody money* without expecting anything back

(*) Doesn't need to be money, can be other things like time or furniture or whatever

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Donation: when give somebody money* without expecting anything back
I realized it might be good to put this into context of source code that is posted in the forum.

This is how I see this (I am not talking about source code that is for sale)

- A person posts code in the forum, free for all to download and use - this is a donation by the author to the community
- Another person might appreciate the action above, and decides to send money to author - this is a donation by the user to the code creator

Two donations. Neither one was required or expected, but both were appreciated.

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Sandman What about if someone create a source-code...

Receive a Donation for his idea and his work (reward)...

And then Sent the code because donator want it by request (because somewhere in our post saying request the code to see how its going and we want help to achieve more) ?

How can we tell that ? :)

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, in your example, why isn't the source posted in the forum in the first place?
I didn't understand the question...

You mean the source code to be uploaded - before donation ? ... I see your point... may be want to be accessed from those who really want to contribute with it or not want to be public..

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
"..WHY?.."
Because no one software can be considere 'ended' or 'finished product', if you have coded this is clear
Then, any buyers, can improve the quality of project, and share to the other
No he cannot.
if you buy a source for 10-15$ make some changes and sell it as it is yours than you are disrespecting the main coder and also prevent from people creating sources for sell.
it does not make any sense to me what you are saying.

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I didn't understand the question...
I asked the question to understand why the source wasn't available. Why is this important? Because...

1. The source isn't available because it's very large and the forum can't accept it, but the author will send by email to all who ask for it - the author is donating to the community

2. The source isn't available because the author wants something for it - the author is selling to the community (and yes, requesting a "donation" to send the source would still make it a sale)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
btw not every source is unfinished. i sell many sources that works and are considered as finish projects. if the buyer want to add new features it is his choice but it doesnot mean that if a feature that the buyer want is not present the source is considered as unfinished. therefor i would never post a upgraded source to the forum that i have purchased.

i agree with @Sandman
donation is if you want to donate something to the author
purchase is if you must pay to get the product

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@ilan ...I think that every source is unfinished... we all know that "Features" and "Changes" always "change" because environment (OS), bugs, requests

Ofcourse Developer can say: "Take it as it is" but this doesn't mean a Full Working Product ! - that only means... I "sell it" like is working now - do you want it ? take it...

an Upgraded source will help community... but this is something ofcourse need a lot of discussion...

@Sandman ...as we speak I believe you are more than right... playing with words nothing change...

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
an Upgraded source will help community... but this is something ofcourse need a lot of discussion...
how can you share or sell a project you have purchased by yourself?
even if you improve it, it would be wrong to put it in the forum.
you can contact the author and ask him if he agree or give him the advice how to improve it and if he want he can do it but putting his source back to the forum with some improvements for sale or for free is really wrong.
anyway everybody can has his own opinion about that topic. so i think i made mine clear.
i am out, have a nice discussion :)

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
how can you share or sell a project you have purchased by yourself?
even if you improve it, it would be wrong to put it in the forum.
you can contact the author and ask him if he agree or give him the advice how to improve it and if he want he can do it but putting his source back to the forum with some improvements for sale or for free is really wrong.
anyway everybody can has his own opinion about that topic. so i think i made mine clear.
i am out, have a nice discussion :)
Upgrade the code and share the part of code with all members contributed... no resell it... actually share with author... and author resend the code to those donated