Other It's time to grow

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I’m very proud in the continuing progress of B4X tools. I’m also very proud to be part of this amazing developers community.

In the last couple of years, I have a growing feeling that B4X tools do not realize their potential. While there are all kinds of development tools, B4X offers a unique set of features: simple, powerful, mature, great community, RAD, native, cross platform and more.
B4X tools are an excellent choice for a wide range of real-world use cases.

So, the question is how to make B4X more popular? Obviously, it is not a simple nor a short-term task.
A clear growth barrier is the fact that unlike most development tools today, B4A and B4i are not free. This wasn’t the case 10 years ago.

The big announcement today is that B4A will become free in a few weeks. The framework - set of internal libraries, will be open sourced.

We will accept contributions for B4A like currently done with B4J.
We've also secured funds from a US investor who shares my vision of making B4X a popular development tool. These resources will allow us to further expand.

How can you help?

Help us spread the word about B4X.

thetahsk

Licensed User
Longtime User
But the $1 million question is still unanswered.
Which business model will Anywhere Software LTD use, to make money in the future?

Upvote 0

afields

Licensed User
Thinking...
when I read opinions on the various existing software to be programmed on Android, there are always (and always have been) 2 divisions. Those who are free and those who are not. I think then that with this change, this superb piece of software will become available to those looking for the first division. Such a situation will cause the pseudo competitors (paying software) to be immediately at a great disadvantage. They are not as good as the B4 and moreover they must be purchased.
I predict (with the help of specialty articles) a kind of big bang for using B4.
There are few reasons, in my view, for not using the B4X.
So to Erel and his entire team, congratulations and a very long life for the B4X.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Which business model will Anywhere Software LTD use, to make money in the future?

Are you a tax agent? 😄

Your joke somewhat implies there might be some tax aspects that could be sensitive when asking for the business model. This is false. The tax organizations are fully aware that there exist many different business models, and as long as the models are legal and everybody pays their taxes they are happy.

You (we) can't ask such a question, I think.

And I think it's a perfectly valid question to ask. Erel doesn't have to explain anything, of course, but some of us are naturally interested in the business side of things also.

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Your joke somewhat implies there might be some tax aspects that could be sensitive when asking for the business model. This is false. The tax organizations are fully aware that there exist many different business models, and as long as the models are legal and everybody pays their taxes they are happy.
As you wrote, it was a joke.

And I think it's a perfectly valid question to ask.
Could be; it seems to me a "too personal" question and I wouldn't ask it (although I'm curious, of course 😄 ).

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
it seems to me a "too personal" question
Not sure I understand your reasoning. From my viewpoint a person is not a company (and vice versa). Which means it's not too personal to ask something about a company.

If I were to ask you what kind of underwear you (hopefully) are wearing, that would be too personal. (I'm not asking, please don't share that information :) )

If I were to ask you something about your company, you might think I'm too nosy, but it can never be personal.

And if I were to ask a company what kind of business model they use, I would never consider that nosy. It can still be sensitive information, of course, and they might choose to not answer, that's their right.

(and with that I leave this off-the-tracks subthread)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 103

Visual Basic and C# are from the same manufacturer and both are free.
Even so, C# is more popular than Visual Basic. Many programmers think Visual Basic is less professional than C#.
I have discussed it many times with my son-in-law, but to no avail, he stays with C#.
So I think it has nothing to do with the price.

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I believe that this is the right step to assure that B4X will continue to prosper for many years to come.
Only if you are in control as usual and develop ; and not under pressure from some 'private'.
My experience.

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Somehow, I have a feeling the crossplatform compatibility with B4i will disconnect somehow. Yes, Erel will still be part of the B4A team as well but what if development of open source B4A moves faster that B4i or vice versa ?
Only the internal libraries are going to be open sourced and all the development will still be done by Anywhere Software. We might accept minor contributions.
The main purpose of open sourcing the framework is to let developers have more control over their solutions.

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I believe that this is the right step to assure that B4X will continue to prosper for many years to come.
This would happen (and would have happened anyway) only if you live long enough 😄

Unless you mean that Anywere Software will change its owner!

If you have decided to go and enjoy life on your yacht, you have certainly made the right choice 😄

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kisoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
If you have decided to go and enjoy life on your yacht, you have certainly made the right choice 😄
Unfortunately Erel can't swim, he didn't have time to learn because he didn't have free time.
He has earned this yacht and jet like hardly anyone.😄😄😄

Upvote 0