To do absolutely

zed

Licensed User
Most developers who ask for help don't publish their code.
They prefer to ask questions that we don't understand all the time.

Do you think your code will be stolen or laughed at because it's not well written?

Certainly not. Your code belongs to you.
We just need to see and be able to test what is wrong.

It is not an obligation to publish your code, but in this case, it is not certain to find the solution.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Agreed. Sometimes the hesitation to create a small sample project will waste us much more time to get the issue resolved.
Sometimes we should put down our ego.

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
I believe that everyone is able to judge for themselves when a code example can be published or not
Obviously a complex request, without sample code, will have much less chances of being answered
I believe that if the problem posed is so complex as to require a code example, then it is sufficient to point it out to the author of the post

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
everyone is able to judge for themselves when a code example can be published or not

Sure, but i can state that almost all situations with a trouble in complex projects - were solved only after hard work of creating a "small example project" of the trouble.
And debugging it separately from the tons of project codes.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The problem is the OP either:
1. Post a very generic question or title such as "please help" or "not working" without providing anything else
2. Never read the guide of posting question on forum
3. Post an error message with info pointing to line number causing the error but no code to refer to
4. Posting sample code which looks fine and the actual issue is somewhere else that the OP has ignored

It is quite frustrating sometimes. In first few replies, we were patiently trying to help. But, after a few posts, still not getting to the point.

They never thought if they put on the same shoes, their turn to try helping someone who do the same as above,
or maybe they thought other people on another part of the world is sitting next to him/her looking at the screen or just can read their mind.

Some errors are due to many possibilities. There is no one-to-one root cause to all issues.

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe in the QUESTION forums the new message dialog must have 2 blocks (extra to the main body text) for "code example" and "error log output" ?
And any of them must be filled...

zed

Licensed User
Of course, it's often possible to do the necessary with a little explanation and a few lines of code.
But on more complex questions, I noticed that some member wants to help and asks to post the code.
And there is nothing there. What is the reason?

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Of course, it's often possible to do the necessary with a little explanation and a few lines of code.
But on more complex questions, I noticed that some member wants to help and asks to post the code.
And there is nothing there. What is the reason?
For new member, maybe they don't know how to do it.
Writing code wrapped in [code ] their code [ /code] tags or zip the project.
I am not sure if unlicensed user has restriction to upload attachment.

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There are many ways to do something... this have to with code.. many ways to Xpress something .. so laughing with code of someone is wrong.

From the other hand this is a forum for developers to developers... so understanding each other.. I m sure is possible.

But Complex and complete solutions... when asked is totally wrong..if you don't know how to do it... split your questions or the needed result to many parts... and the solution will come magically.

I am sure for this.