Bob

Attachments

• B4aV5-Error.png
    B4aV5-Error.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 161

Robert Valentino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is this restriction ever going to be removed?

I have a lot lines of code like this that I prefer not to have to convert

Robert Valentino

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm a C++ guy and in header templates there are always a ton of
B4X:
Bool Something(int IfSomething) {  return IfSomething = -1 ? false : true }

Now just because you do not like it does not make it wrong.

Personal Style

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm not sure that it will be supported in the future. The reason is technical.

The IDE parser needs to very quickly build the page structure. In order to avoid parsing all the code text it looks for the first word in each line to check whether it is "Sub" or "End Sub" (or #If, etc...).

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ok, I do not speak English well, but I think you understand that, in my opinion, put an "End Sub" in a non-blank line is deprecable.

I "don't like" also "End If" at the end of "an empty line":

If sdf and adflj or (adlfj and fjlla).... End If !!!

It is hardly readable and maintainable.

So...

I'm not sure that it will be supported in the future

is a "good news" ;)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Robert Valentino,

I don't know if C++ allows it but some languages even allow you to leave out the { } brackets if it is a single line if statement which makes even more sense.

Robert Valentino

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel. I understand your position. But this is a major change in style for me and currently stops me from upgrading to 5.x

To everyone else:

Much as many may not like my style (as I do not like tabs in my code - but prefer spaces) to me coding is more like an artist painting a picture no two artists paint the same way and usually do not have the same style. But in the end they all have beautiful works to look at.

My style may be different, but wrote some code in the 1980's for mainframes that a friend of mine still supports (now that is a long time for some code to be around) was even coded back then to handle the 1999-2000 change because I new some day it was coming (and I got picked on for that), and the code is still running in 2015

I love one line coding. I can look at twenty or thirty lines at once and know all the functions in a module as seen below

B4X:
#Region Single Line Grid Commands
Sub SetGridBGColor(Color As Int)  : mGridBGColor  = Color  :  End Sub

Sub SetGridSize(Size As Int)  : mGridSize  = (Size * 1dip)  :  SetHeaderHeight(mFixedDataHeight)  :  End Sub
Sub SetGridSizeColor(Color As Int)  : mGridSizeColor  = Color  :  End Sub

Sub SetGridSpacing(Spacing As Int)  : mGridSpacing  = (Spacing * 1dip)  :  SetHeaderHeight(mFixedDataHeight)  :  End Sub
Sub SetGridSpacingColor(Color As Int)  : mGridSpacingColor = Color  :  End Sub

Sub GridSize()  As Int  : Return mGridSize  :  End Sub
Sub GridSizeColor() As Int  : Return mGridSizeColor  :  End Sub

Sub GridSpacing() As Int  : Return mGridSpacing  :  End Sub
Sub GridSpacingColor() As Int  : Return mGridSpacingColor  :  End Sub

Sub NumberRows  As Int  : Return mRowsCols.Size  :  End Sub
#End Region

Now the above lines of code may look like crap here (because of Tabs) but you can see what they look like in the editor from the attached pictures.

Everything lines up nice, easy to C (Oops did I really mean C++) easy to read (my opinion)

All my code lines up. I am a fast typist and hitting the space bar is not a problem.

But thanks for all the feeback guys.

CodeStyle.png
CodeStyle2.png

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
To be fair to you, I feel this is a step backwards because it is an IDE imposed restriction on coding style rather than a compiler imposed restriction. I'm sure the code is compilable in command line mode.
It makes B4A 5 to be not backwards compatible, but if that needs to be done then it should be made more clear, documented and not be incremental.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I love one line coding. I can look at twenty or thirty lines at once and know all the functions in a module as seen below

1) those "are" (should be, if their name started with a lower case "set") Properties, and one line of code only;
2) you can be an artist when you design your sw, but to keep the code maintainable and readable, perhaps even by other people, it is better to be at all artistic;
3) if your routines would consist of many lines, you may see them listed, each in a single line, collapsing the page (module). Use Regions to group routines is another big advantage.