B4J Virus/Malware issues

james_sgp

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, I'm having a lot of issues with my McAfee Anti-Virus and Malwarebytes quarantining my apps. It`s quarantining standalone apps, and now I`m trying to get my app to print to a printer (in debug mode) its quarantining that too. I do understand as Java is trying to open other windows and functions... But are there any solutions, or else it makes B4J kind of useless for me 😭

james_sgp

Licensed User
Longtime User
Erel thanks, i need to pay for the certificates right? Any suggestions on best lowest cost place to purchase from, as the software is being provided to friends for free 😭

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you are distributing your app to your friends then I don't think it is worth the hassle. It is highly likely that they won't encounter any problem and if they do, you should tell them to add an exclusion in their anti virus.

Last certificate I bought was from sectigo: https://sectigo.com/
...When we build standalone... then we ve get 2 exe files... one at the root of build and one at bin... we are going to need to certificates ?

The certification of exe... how easy is to apply to it... am i getting any special tool or need to add it (with resource hacker... or a utility)

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well I know that I am asking too much (drunk some more coffees today)... but @Erel ...why not buying a certificate for signing all the standalone built by B4J... with a note at descripton as "Standard B4J compiled - not tested by Anywhere Software" to be sure for copyrights and problems that may be "make" at end-users... (because someone may be creating malicious apps)...

is it possible... to see it at the future (wish) ?

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can not expect to get your app signed by a certificate issued for AnywhereSoftware.

You do some harm with the app then and at the end AnywhereSoftware seems to be the bad guy?
I would not sign ANY App with my Name if i were AnywhereSoftware.

You are developing the app. Get your own certificate and sign them with your Name/Company

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can not expect to get your app signed by a certificate issued for AnywhereSoftware.

You do some harm with the app then and at the end AnywhereSoftware seems to be the bad guy?
I would not sign ANY App with my Name if i were AnywhereSoftware.

You are developing the app. Get your own certificate and sign them with your Name/Company
As I said... to have a general cert without rights and obligations... may be with some agreement... ofcourse and I understand the reason of cert... but the simple certs no need any "papers" from developer side....

@DonManfred I am not asking something for Free.. and ofcourse I am not talking only for me... but general speaking - hope not having me on target :cool:

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well I know that I am asking too much (drunk some more coffees today)... but @Erel ...why not buying a certificate for signing all the standalone built by B4J... with a note at descripton as "Standard B4J compiled - not tested by Anywhere Software" to be sure for copyrights and problems that may be "make" at end-users... (because someone may be creating malicious apps)...

is it possible... to see it at the future (wish) ?
How would Anywhere Software know that you are not writing malware?

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
May be you misunderstood what i am telling...

Ofcourse I understand the reason you are saying it... but i think there are common certificates from some companies for untested software... i am not saying that is the "right" way... but may be can have a note at the properties/description of exe saying "That AnyWhere Software not tested and not verifying that this app is 'ok'"...

my explain for common certificates from some companies: OK... i'm trying to find those companies/apps creating exe... i am prety sure i ve already see them (fancy balloons saying creating signed cert. exe)... I think was installer creators, and some db-code-form generators.. can't find their pages... I am not lying :)

Although i agree that some may be creating malware... i am not lawyer... how a general certificate can apply to all software build by B4X... but I am sure that there are ways to protect the company with some notices/notifies...

vmag

Hi, I'm having a lot of issues with my McAfee Anti-Virus and Malwarebytes quarantining my apps. It`s quarantining standalone apps, and now I`m trying to get my app to print to a printer (in debug mode) its quarantining that too. I do understand as Java is trying to open other windows and functions... But are there any solutions, or else it makes B4J kind of useless for me 😭
Antiviruses can block applications during installation if there are attempts to write to the Windows registry, install fonts, or the subsequent use of *.vbs files by the application. Very often, Windows defender also does this blocking. The most popular solution is to temporarily disable antivirus and Windows Defender when installing an application or exclude font installations, registry changes and *.vbs files from the installation package. I am not 100% sure that having a certificate will solve this problem.

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Antiviruses can block applications during installation if there are attempts to write to the Windows registry, install fonts, or the subsequent use of *.vbs files by the application. Very often, Windows defender also does this blocking. The most popular solution is to temporarily disable antivirus and Windows Defender when installing an application or exclude font installations, registry changes and *.vbs files from the installation package. I am not 100% sure that having a certificate will solve this problem.
Those things may be passed easily if running as admin... you can elevate the shortcut of your exe by your setup (ex. Inno setup)

vmag

Those things may be passed easily if running as admin... you can elevate the shortcut of your exe by your setup (ex. Inno setup)
It doesn't matter on whose behalf you are working, the application is immediately quarantined as soon as you copy it to your hard drive. For example, if you try to write a font to the Fonts folder during installation, the application immediately gets quarantined, because the Fonts folder is located in the Windows folder. And if you just save a font in your catalog and the user has to install this font himself, then the application does not get quarantined.