Android Tutorial [B4X] Documentation Booklets

The B4X documentation booklets are available in PDF format, Download Link.
All files are included in the zip file in the link above, pdf booklets and all the source code.

You can also download all the source code for al booklets, SourceCode.

These booklets cover the four B4X platforms.
Some don't cover B4R because the subject is not relevant for B4R like Visual Designer.

Example projects with source code are included.

All booklets can be accessed online with the links below.
The generic link is: https://www.b4x.com/guides/BookletName/?page=xx
In this example we reach the B4xCustomViews booklet page 59: https://www.b4x.com/guides/B4xCustomViews/?page=59
The booklet names must begin with B4x (the x is in lower case) and without blank characters.
The summary of the list can be found here: Documentation
To get the source code of the example projects you can either download the entire zip file with the pdf booklets or only the source codes with the SourceCode link on top or at the end in the list below.

General booklets:
B4X Getting started
This booklet explains how to start with each B4x product (B4A, B4i, B4J and B4R).
B4X Language
This booklet explains the language for B4A, B4i, B4J and B4R.
B4X IDE
This booklet explains the Integrated Developpment Environment for B4A, B4i, B4J and B4R.
B4X Visual Designer
This booklet explains the Visual Designer for B4a, B4i and B4J.
B4X Help tools
This booklet explains some help tools for B4X. In the previous editions, its content was a chapter in the four booklets above.

Specific booklets:
B4XPages Cross-platform projects
This booklet explains how to make cross-platform projects.
B4X Custom Views + CustomViews_SourceCode, specific code for this booklet.
This booklet explains the CustomView subject for B4A, B4i and B4J.
B4X Graphics
This booklet explains Graphics for B4A, B4i, B4J, XUI And BitmapCreator.
B4X XUI
This booklet explains the XUI library which makes it easier to share code between B4A, B4J and B4i projects.
B4X SQLiteDatabase
This booklet explains the use of the SQLite library
B4X JavaObject-NativeObject
This booklet explains the use of JavaObjects (B4A and B4J) and NativeObjects (B4i)

B4R ExampleProjects
This booklet explains some B4R example projects.

SourceCode
Zip file containing all the source codes.

The current editions are 2.5
All booklets have the same edition number, to avoid confusion.
They cover:
B4A version 12.80
B4i version 8.50
B4J version 10.00
B4R version 4.00

Future booklets:
None in the to do list.

Some of these booklets exist in Spanish:

Español, Spanish.
Translated by Manuel Martinez.

Last edited:

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The B4X Booklets have been updated to edition 1.9, details in post#1.
A new B4XPages Cross-platform projects booklet has replaced the previous Cross-platform projects booklet.

Last edited:

christianjeannot

Licensed User
Hello Klaus,

thank you for the new B4XPages Booklet.

I am focussing on cross platform development. As a beginner within B4X I started with the previous version. With new version it is easier to do cross platform development.

I have some feedback.

Chapter 6.4.1 Code of B4XMainPage
Code is missing for
- FillComboBox
- btnPage1_Click
- xcbxMainPage_SelectedIndexChanged

Same for 6.4.2 Code of B4XPage1.

I checked the example project. There I could find the code.

Layout / Format Booklet
The head of the pages has the same size as the text from a page. As a reader this is a bit disturbing. Is it possible to make the head of a page with a smaller font and maybe a line so it is better to read.

I have also some feedback for the example code. Is this the right place or in another thread?

Best regards

--Christian

Last edited:

Roger Daley

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for the feedback !

The code has been added for the next edition.

For the header, i will look at it.

For the other feedback you can PM me.

Klaus,

It looks like you've done a great job yet again even though I've only had time to skim.
From the point of view as the Lowest Common Denominator the only comment I can make is that the suggestion re: the page headers is probably a good one. Not that there is really a problem but looking at other documentation I see the point.

Regards Roger

Eme Fibonacci

Licensed User
Longtime User
I didn't find information about the Booklets license.

What can I do with Booklets and source codes?
Can I distribute, adapt and sell?
Are the license terms expressly written somewhere?

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is my opinion and the way i see the booklets, not Klaus's!
The booklet were introduced by Klaus to help newcomers better jump-start in b4x.
Along the way, source code for common issues or questions were added, and samples on how a particular feature works or should be better implemented.
A few gems are also there, like smarter ways to use some feature or a "magical" code for a not so obvious use.
All this is Klaus work, and although i guess he won't oppose to any usage of it, the minimum one can do to honor his work is to credit him on our final product, if he has helped, directly or even indirectly, in the creation of such product.

Again, this is my opinion and how i see the booklets usage.

Eme Fibonacci

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is my opinion and the way i see the booklets, not Klaus's!
The booklet were introduced by Klaus to help newcomers better jump-start in b4x.
Along the way, source code for common issues or questions were added, and samples on how a particular feature works or should be better implemented.
A few gems are also there, like smarter ways to use some feature or a "magical" code for a not so obvious use.
All this is Klaus work, and although i guess he won't oppose to any usage of it, the minimum one can do to honor his work is to credit him on our final product, if he has helped, directly or even indirectly, in the creation of such product.

Again, this is my opinion and how i see the booklets usage.
I agree. The work is brilliant but we must always know clearly what the license terms. We must know what we can and cannot do. Where it is written. If we should credit the author and how we should do it.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The Books are written by Klaus. Copyright is at the Author.
Anything you do to resell the Documents copyrighted by anyone must be Approved and permitted by the Author.

Bottomline:
As long as you do not have the written permission (email for ex) from the Copyright-Owner (Author) you are not allowed to resell anything. Freely available for download or not.

PS: I´m not a lawyer though....

Eme Fibonacci

Licensed User
Longtime User
Klaus and myself have decided to make the guides open source: https://github.com/AnywhereSoftware/B4X_Documentation

Give attribution to Klaus and do whatever you like with it. I'm always happy to see more B4X guides in any form (free or non-free).
Thank you @Erel and @klaus. I am building a site about arduino in my native language. I will use b4x for the projects. My website will sell components and sensors. It is a very modest project. Booklets will be very useful.

johnmie

Licensed User
Longtime User
Fantastic (as usual with Klaus). You saved me a lot of time and a ton of headaches.Thank you very much.
I also saw recently your update on xChart which included a Radar chart. Very interesting, do you also have this covered somewhere?

Best, john m.

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Very interesting, do you also have this covered somewhere?
No it is not covered somewhere, I thought and expected that the in-line help and the demo program is enough self explanatory.
But it seems no, I agree, it has become a big library and could be somewhat difficult for 'new' users.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I thought and expected that the in-line help and the demo program is enough self explanatory.
I tend to agree with you about that, especially as you've created the demo app which includes demo code for each and every single chart available in xChart.

I will admit that parts of the demo program could be made slightly simpler to follow (code wise) and understand for beginners. But saying that Klaus, when broken down and read very carefully, the demo app is actually quite straight forward to follow as you've kindly included comments wherever applicable which is excellent.

I personally think that if B4X developers already know what sort of chart they need, then that's half the battle won when using xChart.