Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
do you mean Crowdfunding?

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have seen some crowfunding sites and have collected information on articles. Despite that, I don't have much to tell you.

But I guess you have to take care of advertising your project well to encourage people to support your project especially if you do not give anything immediate as a result of the support. The project must excite.

There are investors who look at these sites to invest in promising projects but in order to gain an economic advantage or in any case have a preview of the product.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Start by having a clear idea what you want to achieve. And if you do have that idea, please do tell us. It will make it easier to give advice.
I am thinking if I could get funding or sponsor of my business. One of the products is a Point of Sales system developed in B4X. I also got other ideas for project or start ups but the POS system is my focus priority. I just saw all 100% of POS projects in Kickstarter.com were failed to get funded.

MarrowZero

Licensed User
As a business owner, I read your question with interest but I don't understand why you need the investment or how much. What resources do you need that you don't have?

You seem to be a clever stick (I enjoy reading your posts) , so what's stopping you from just getting on with the project?

I'm sorry if I do not understand your position, do you already do B4X full time, have you already had some success?

POS seems to me possibly difficult to make good money. There are many cheap systems already, the type of business that needs this system doesn't have much to spend on the system.... Race to the bottom.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm sorry if I do not understand your position, do you already do B4X full time, have you already had some success?
Unfortunately I am facing difficulties to get any freelance projects. I met some potential clients but they have no budgets. Through the past 10 months, I am spending on my savings without any income except for 1 freelance job on Wordpress fix for $usd 100+. I don’t know whether I still can survive another year.
My POS system is almost ready for sale. I have fined tune a Linux setup on a very old POS terminal. Some financial support can help in sales and marketing expenses.

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
I know you want to make a super cool system.

But believe me, the basic one will work for client looking for a basic & simple solution. Then those clients will pay for the next versions of your project.

My POS system is still in beta over 5 years making dollars every single month - and because I went to speak with people, out of the office, I also sold (rent) my Takeaways Order system and a Loyalty App too :)

what is the key of my POS system?
At the counter the person Speak English (and* Chinese), in the kitchen one chef speak Chinese only and the other one speak English only
Then my system show the menu in the kitchen in Chinese or English (or Turkish in other restaurants) - They can't find easily a system like that ;P
banner-POS-display1.jpg

Ahh forgot to say:
Don't look for fundraising/investor, look for a client to pay your next version!! or your new project!

Last edited:

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@aeric Totally understand you situation... Generally speaking: I think developers are like artists...

For the history: I ve made a lot of software that i was selling and sell (in Vb6)...

the best of selling:
One for Internet Cafes... that was selling alot until 2006...(from 1998) (remote locking-unlocking client-pcs, time metering/cost)
And my biggest success was a POS-Invoice System not only for retail but for B2B too... <---that i was selling from 2001...today (2022) - many updates because of tax/vat changes every 6months here in Greece.... need a lot of work... /// that i want to turn it at B4X... is very difficult because has many many many things... i need to redesign and think how i will make it...

Hope for you to find solutions for income and funding... we are here to hear your way... we all need ideas ! especially those that works...

edit: Have in mind that I am in difficult situation (like yours)... because the problems always raising... the needs too.. family, kids... health.. there are a lot.... after years passing - to have a happy life (and short life do not forget...)- i ended up: work to earn money -> but live too... not only work... so last 4 years... I am running-every 2,3 days... at least 10-15km... playing with my kids... and ofcourse working to live (any IT job... not only programming-that i like a lot)

Last edited:

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Unfortunately I am facing difficulties to get any freelance projects. I met some potential clients but they have no budgets. Through the past 10 months, I am spending on my savings without any income except for 1 freelance job on Wordpress fix for $usd 100+. I don’t know whether I still can survive another year.
My POS system is almost ready for sale. I have fined tune a Linux setup on a very old POS terminal. Some financial support can help in sales and marketing expenses.
So basically you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

There are two different aspects to consider here. Short-term and long-term. I should also point out that I have some fairly opinionated views below. If this is something that irritates you I recommend perhaps skipping this post. I won't be upset. :)

Short-term

You need to be able to handle the basics of life. Food, somewhere to stay, etc. From what I can hear you're not pulling in any real money and it's really bad to use your savings for these expenses, unless it's for emergencies and a very short period. You need to make sure you're earning money. You say you can't find customers, and I believe you. Either this can be because it's a tough market where you are, or you simply suck at locating prospects and selling to them. At the moment, it's not really important which it is. Instead you should get a job. Preferably in IT where you have skills, but any job will do. You need to start earning money and stop eating your savings.

Long-term

When you have your basic needs met you start working on your side-projects as much as you find the time and energy for. A POS system is a somewhat large project, and I don't mean codebase only. It's not something most restaurants buy just like that. It will take some time finding the restaurants and getting them interested and gaining their trust in you and your product. I'd recommend starting a separate thread in the forum where you ask other POS developers (we seem to have several) how to get your first customers. I'm sure they could give you invaluable advice, and also help you avoid some mistakes. That said, it might also be a good idea to put your POS on ice for a while and see if there's a smaller project you could do, with faster access to paying customers.

So what I've written above isn't very romantic or fun. It's just the reality that many of us had to go through before getting our company of the ground. Not many short-cuts. Get a job. Earn money. Work in your project in your spare time.

You asked specifically about crowdfunding, so I'll address that too: Your desire to investigate this is simply based in desperation. Not only are your chances to be funded very low, it will take time and focus from you to make a decent campaign. And if you, for some mysterious reason, actually would succeed, you would have a number of investors that constantly would like to know what's happening with the project, when will they see something, and why isn't it done already, how close are you to a launch, and why don't you have this feature planned, and why didn't you do that feature that way instead, and are you really sure you need to sleep this month?

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So basically you're stuck between a rock and a hard place.

There are two different aspects to consider here. Short-term and long-term. I should also point out that I have some fairly opinionated views below. If this is something that irritates you I recommend perhaps skipping this post. I won't be upset. :)

Short-term

You need to be able to handle the basics of life. Food, somewhere to stay, etc. From what I can hear you're not pulling in any real money and it's really bad to use your savings for these expenses, unless it's for emergencies and a very short period. You need to make sure you're earning money. You say you can't find customers, and I believe you. Either this can be because it's a tough market where you are, or you simply suck at locating prospects and selling to them. At the moment, it's not really important which it is. Instead you should get a job. Preferably in IT where you have skills, but any job will do. You need to start earning money and stop eating your savings.

Long-term

When you have your basic needs met you start working on your side-projects as much as you find the time and energy for. A POS system is a somewhat large project, and I don't mean codebase only. It's not something most restaurants buy just like that. It will take some time finding the restaurants and getting them interested and gaining their trust in you and your product. I'd recommend starting a separate thread in the forum where you ask other POS developers (we seem to have several) how to get your first customers. I'm sure they could give you invaluable advice, and also help you avoid some mistakes. That said, it might also be a good idea to put your POS on ice for a while and see if there's a smaller project you could do, with faster access to paying customers.

So what I've written above isn't very romantic or fun. It's just the reality that many of us had to go through before getting our company of the ground. Not many short-cuts. Get a job. Earn money. Work in your project in your spare time.

You asked specifically about crowdfunding, so I'll address that too: Your desire to investigate this is simply based in desperation. Not only are your chances to be funded very low, it will take time and focus from you to make a decent campaign. And if you, for some mysterious reason, actually would succeed, you would have a number of investors that constantly would like to know what's happening with the project, when will they see something, and why isn't it done already, how close are you to a launch, and why don't you have this feature planned, and why didn't you do that feature that way instead, and are you really sure you need to sleep this month?
@Sandman Thanks for the comments and advice. It just strike on my mind about crowdfunding. Actually I wasn’t thinking of it at first place. Blame Google search which lead me to that concept. I was actually searching for an idea about project cost sharing and don’t know why lead me to that word. Then I was curious if any member has experience on crowdfunding. Who knows it will be an alternative.

By the way, I have tried working under employment but it just let me have more excuses. So I really want to avoid it unless after 3 months I can’t really survive due to high commitment.

Thanks @f0raster0 about the advice and I agree with you. My system is now in beta. It’s time to meet my testers. I will speed up to begin the sales in this month. Hope everything goes well.

Drago Bratko

Licensed User
Longtime User
Can you share some screens and features of your POS system? For what platform(s) is it?
Maybe somebody here would get interested ...

TILogistic

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A good commercial strategy is the SAAS with a free basic plan, this will make you attract customers, and you will be able to add other solutions, such as devices (POS), electronic invoice, etc.
I know many colleagues who in less than 6 months already have many clients and investors in their projects.

Example:

I'm sorry in Spanish.
Vessi.cl
--
Librede = Sasco
---
Facto
https://www.facto.cl/
----
RealBase
---
and more

YogiYang

@aeric

What are your strong points. I mean what do you know besides B4X?

If I recall properly someone in this forum was selling source code of various applications. Can you not do that with products that you have developed? I mean sell them with source code here.

Last edited: