Google Maps Platform

Discussion in 'The Business Forum' started by Filippo, May 3, 2018.

1. Filippo

Filippo Expert Licensed User

Hi,

Today I got this email from Google.
    If I understood correctly, Google wants to have a billing account for the payment of new services, or did I misunderstand it?

2. LucaMs

LucaMs Expert Licensed User

I hope they are referring only to their NEW services "our new name - Google Maps Platform" (but I fear it is not so).

I would like to take advantage of this thread to suggest Erel to open its own apps market which has fewer restrictions and lower "costs" (less than the odious 30%).

This would help developers and even increase the popularity of Anywhere Software products.

Filippo likes this.
  3. LucaMs

Sorry, I read badly: "our new game - Google Maps Platform"; so I thought to a completely new service.
    By reading better, now I'm more sure that they just want more money.

4. Filippo

It's always the same story!
    You advertise with a free product, then when you notice that the product is fine, then the Product is no longer free.

LucaMs likes this.
  5. BillMeyer

BillMeyer Active Member Licensed User

Hi,
    You understood correctly. I also got this email.

I have looked at the pricing table - and it is quiet generous. It can be found here: https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/pricing/sheet/

In some instances it is up to 40 000 calls per month and if you look at "Mobile Native Dynamic Maps" - the load is unlimited.

The positive is that the new structure opens up to "normal" users some of the features that were previously only available on the Premium packages and for the type of apps I have - that is really positive - here come new features.

Enjoy !!

Mashiane, DonManfred and Filippo like this.
  6. LucaMs

Whatsapp did a similar thing, 1$ / year; but then it had to desist!

7. LucaMs

You should add that "not so generous" 30% for all the rest.

8. BillMeyer

BillMeyer Active Member Licensed User

@LucaMs

I'm not in that market - I use a completely different business model and write a different type of app - so i can't comment on the 30% - but that is stiff. They all try to make money somehow - somebody has to pay for that fancy new building and the staff's toys !!

Filippo and LucaMs like this.
  9. LucaMs

No answers to this my post. This means just one thing: Anywhere Software will open its market very soon but this is a secret :p (I hope).

[...or, more likely, Erel has so many more important things to do than answer this non-fundamental post :)]

Filippo likes this.
  10. Filippo

I wanted to create the required billing account now, and Google requires that.

This is a big impudence, this is where your account is required, so can Google automatically withdraw the money. :mad:

11. Magma

Magma Active Member Licensed User

@Filippo You can use a debit card with a 0.01 account :) already doing that... hope that will never need add money for that :)

Jorge M A and Filippo like this.
  12. Filippo

Thanks, I did not come up with this idea.:)

13. tigrot

tigrot Well-Known Member Licensed User

Hi Filippo,
    I have a free utility showing actual position of a Smarphone on another one. No costs by now, but now they are asking credit card:)mad:) so I'm not going to publish this App any more. It was a test around maps and Firebase messaging, to learn techs. But if you publish a final version different from alpha and beta, you cannot withdraw it, because the user are allowed to go on using it. At least I have a centralized DB which I can shut! Pay for something which doesn't give income...
    Never beleave that something from those big companies is really free!
    Mauro

14. Filippo

please read further here.
    https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/googlemaps-no-longer-free.92635/

tigrot likes this.
  15. tigrot

tigrot Well-Known Member Licensed User

Clear as any other comunication I get from Google at 4:00AM on my phone. Deep sleep: "BEEEEEP BEEEP". Must be something bad... no... nothing only Google. :eek:o_O

Thank you Filippo.

16. Mashiane

Mashiane Expert Licensed User

I also noted this when I was checking their Speech API, which is rather impressive I must say and on my GCE that maps were no longer free. I guess with what is happening with Oracle we will see Google charging now for a lot of other things.