B4J Question How many clients can jServer handle

aminoacid

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a B4J WebSockets application that I am testing and have been trying to find out how many simultaneous client connection it can handle without crashing. I realize that it uses the Jetty server but have not been able to find any straightforward answer to this question. Also, is there any way to monitor the number of client connections to a websockets server?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thansk!

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
straightforward answer to this question
And this is correct. If the connection was only a ping pong call, then the answer would be thousands upon thousands.

The more complex your app it may be a bit slower. I may say hundreds upon hundreds?

Jetty the underlying technology is well proven and has good responses, so, then, my best advice would be: don't think about it too much.

"Make it work, then make it beautiful, then if you really, really have to, make it fast. 90 percent of the time, if you make it beautiful, it will already be fast. So really, just make it beautiful!" - joe Armstrong.

If you begin to feel that it is slowing because you have tens of thousands of calls, then just deploy a second server. Its that simple

Upvote 0

aminoacid

Licensed User
Longtime User
And this is correct. If the connection was only a ping pong call, then the answer would be thousands upon thousands.

The more complex your app it may be a bit slower. I may say hundreds upon hundreds?

Jetty the underlying technology is well proven and has good responses, so, then, my best advice would be: don't think about it too much.

"Make it work, then make it beautiful, then if you really, really have to, make it fast. 90 percent of the time, if you make it beautiful, it will already be fast. So really, just make it beautiful!" - joe Armstrong.

If you begin to feel that it is slowing because you have tens of thousands of calls, then just deploy a second server. Its that simple

Thanks for the advise, Enrique. Sometimes it's hard to imagine a B4J application handling a large client load.

Do you know of any way to monitor how many clients are connecting to the server at any give time?

Upvote 0

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
how many clients are connecting to the server at any give time?
In the past i have used traeffik to the get that information.

But i think it's an overkill. Now days I just log sessions stamps on my db and it's enough.

Upvote 0

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think I'm just going to keep track of the number of connects and disconnects in my application and come up with an estimate.
Yes connections and sessions

So you get. Unique users and connections per user.

Upvote 0

aminoacid

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes connections and sessions

So you get. Unique users and connections per user.
Yes... That's exactly what I was looking at :)

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
And here, I’ve managed to get over 4000 requests per second.

Upvote 1

Intelemarketing

Licensed User
Longtime User
Magma said "I ve never had problem... jServer with any SQL Server or SQLite tried... working too fast !"

My biggest concern would not be "Does the server slow down" - as speed would naturally fluctuate dependant on the number of online accesses.
I would be concerned that the server might crash if the traffic was very large.
I am not hearing from anyone that they experience server crashes.

That is music to my ears !

Upvote 0