B4J Code Snippet How to change default Audio Input and Record everything you Hear ! (Tip)

Hi there...

Well I 've read it at least 20 times here in forum - how will be possible to record what we hear ?

For example - i think that last time I was the "person" asking for that... :) here:

First, of all... let's talk about the reason why old days was hidden or not showing (and now)... in front of us... because of Copyrights reasons... (Sony and other companies don't want to copy what we hear)...

Second... is it possible for all Sound Cards and PC's to do that... hmm... 90%... i think with downloading latest Driver from Manufacturer...

And third... How works...? simple, you must go at your Windows Sound Settings.. at Board Control of Sound... at Record... and Select Stereo Mix as default input device... it is not there... ?
Hmm... try this registry trick (but CAUTION! if this create problem at your pc - I am not responsible) - double click and run it - reboot your system and try... (Most times no need for registry trick)
So... now if you record from windows sound recorder - you will record anything playing your pc + system sounds... everything...

Now the solution - How will make our program - change programmatically the default record input... in that point I must say tried many things... but nirsoft.net has a cmd line utility that make it more simple (I ve think will found sometime a wmic option or a powershell command to do that... but need a lot of searching)...

So download NIRCMD and in zip file you will found nircmdc.exe... now copy at Files at your project...

and use this piece of code (you can add more languages but you must see in control of sound how "Stereo Mix" it is written in your lang):
B4X:
    If File.Exists(File.DirApp,"nircmdc.exe")=False Then
        File.Copy(File.DirAssets,"nircmdc.exe",File.DirApp,"nircmdc.exe")
    End If

Dim js As Shell
        Dim params As List
        params.Initialize

Dim sst(3) As String 'english/italian/german - greek - spanish
        sst(0)="Stereo Mix" 'english/italian/german
        sst(1)="Στερεοφωνική μείξη" 'greek
        sst(2)="Mezcla estéreo" 'spanish

For k=0 To 2
        params.Clear
        params.Add("setdefaultsounddevice")
        params.Add(QUOTE & sst(k) & QUOTE)
        params.Add("1")
        js.Initialize("js", "NIRCMDC.exe", params)
        js.WorkingDirectory=File.DirApp.Replace("/","\")
        js.Run(-1)
        Wait for (js) js_ProcessCompleted (Success As Boolean, ExitCode As Int, StdOut As String, StdErr As String)
        Next
        'wait extra..little
        Sleep(1200)

So now any audio record b4j library like jAudioTrack or jAudioRecord will record from Stereo Mix...

I have to say that I using this solution at my new Project RAviaMQTT (Remote Administration via MQTT - for transfersing sound from remote host pc to client-pc) and works super good !

*** How can we make it better ? Find an inline java that will select the Stereo Mix as default input sound... but first getting the default sound input... and when app stops run retun to the user's default... as I ve search inline java must use JNA...

Last edited:

kimstudio

Licensed User
Longtime User
I tried and it works. I have Windows 11 + Realtek Audio card and stereo mix is showing by default. I have to click a button to allow it for recording in setting, then even MIDI playing can be recorded. 👍

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I tried and it works. I have Windows 11 + Realtek Audio card and stereo mix is showing by default. I have to click a button to allow it for recording in setting, then even MIDI playing can be recorded. 👍
At latest systems and latest drivers is always there...

We are waiting your beautiful apps!!!

kimstudio

Licensed User
Longtime User
At latest systems and latest drivers is always there...

We are waiting your beautiful apps!!!

Thanks Magma, currently I am not making recording related apps but I do see this is an important add-on functionality to your very nice Remote Admin program, glad you make it work~

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
check here... @stevel05 make it real !!!! now we can select audio-in !!!