I love B4X. Is it lasting forever?

jahswant

Licensed User
Longtime User
Therefore, I ask the powerful team of b4x and anywhereSoftware to provide a good answer in the field of constant and strong support of this powerful product, so that the minds of all of us can be free.

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
No problem: the day Erel decides to retire (40 years from now) or for some reason will no longer be able to continue, he will sell Anywhere Software for just € 3 millions :)
Retire... hmmm in Greece we haven't that... is birth, work.. death :) and then work after death... in hell

Mark Turney

Licensed User
Longtime User
2. The experience that you, as a developer, gain while working with B4X is not limited to B4X. Over the years many developers have shifted from B4A to Java and vice versa.
I am a perfect example of @Erel 's point #2. Having a development background, with some apps to "prove" my skills, has done nothing but help me in my IT career. And most of my apps, if not all, would never have come to fruition without B4x.

amykonio

Licensed User
Longtime User
I do use Powerbuilder which in the past was commonly used to develop database "oriented" applications. This isn't the case today. There have been many efforts by respective owners to modernize it, and make it multiplatform (to be able to deploy for web & mobile). Recently they made obsolete web & mobile solutions redesigning from scratch the way they may support web & mobile in the future (ouch!).

In the other side, I do see a small company (compared to the company that maintains & develop powerbuilder), that produces an IDE (or four IDE, but they can share a lot of business logic, and even the ui can be easily ported) and it's own basic implemantation, that can deploy to:
  • Desktop PC (any os where JDK or JRE can be installed - thanks java).
  • Web
  • Android
  • iOS (not for free but for a really reasonable fee)
  • Arduino
As it's advertised, it can be used to develop projects for almost anything.
It's easy to learn. It's really productive. Even gui designers are simple but really powerful.

I do understant the purpose of the main question. But I agree with Erel's statement that even a big company isn't a guarantee that things will go as expected.
Anywhere software has, as far as I know, a specific "project portofolio - products". Big companies may have hundred of programs. They may give attention to some of them or they may choose to put them in auto pilot (when this happen it's for bad). And this is a thing that i believe it won't happen to B4X. There is no guarantee for nothing. The only guarantee we can have is the loyalty of a company for it's own products. And I believe that Anywhere Software is one of those companies that really believe to their own products. And I cannot state the same for those colossal companies. There is a risk, but I do trust that this company has a future... And I hope the same for B4X.

Another thing: there is big number of addons made by people using B4X. And some of them can make a difference. While I'm not using any of them I will mention the great work done in ABMaterial and BANano...

Personally I haven't seen something similar in any other IDE.

Andreas.

Tecuma

Licensed User
I had evaluated several programming languages in 2016 / 2017. At that time I decided against B4X. I tried several tools like Python (Kivy), Xojo and later Swift. I came back to B4X in 2019. It is the only tool where I was able to develop my ideas pragmatically, in a reasonable time and without errors in the tool. It has some weaknesses but I am still fascinated about its quality and possibilities. I guess Erel is blessed with several gifts (Intelligence, energy). Sometimes I think he is working 16 hours per day. When I learned he has also a family with children I stopped thinking.

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I had evaluated several programming languages in 2016 / 2017. At that time I decided against B4X. I tried several tools like Python (Kivy), Xojo and later Swift. I came back to B4X in 2019. It is the only tool where I was able to develop my ideas pragmatically, in a reasonable time and without errors in the tool. It has some weaknesses but I am still fascinated about its quality and possibilities. I guess Erel is blessed with several gifts (Intelligence, energy). Sometimes I think he is working 16 hours per day. When I learned he has also a family with children I stopped thinking.
Wait a minute... Erel is human? I thought was something like God, Marvel Super hero... like Thor... I think when not working... is thinking about his work...

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I do understant the purpose of the main question. But I agree with Erel's statement that even a big company isn't a guarantee that things will go as expected.

I totally agree 💯 with what @Erel said in his post. Below is a prime example of what Erel et al are talking about when it comes to large companies.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Below is a prime example of what Erel et al are talking about when it comes to large companies.
OUPS. I did not expect such big list of killed projects by google :eek:

Luckily i´m in love with B4X and i expect it will last for a long long time 💯😍💯😍💯😍💯😍

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
and Microsoft killed:
I know about that link, but I deliberately used Google simply because of the numbers involved. Google absolutely smashes and destroys M$ when it comes to killing off projects.

Many moons ago I used to use Google weather API for an Android app on the play store, yes Google killed their weather API which forced me to use another API supplier with new weather codes and weather images. That experience thought me not to use Google APIs, especially if they are free.

Actually a friend of mine works for a company that refuses to use any Googles APIs, they mainly use Amazon, Microsoft and other firms services instead. He did say last year that they were looking into Firebase messing, but they will most likely go for another solution because they don't trust Google to keep the services running.

That's not a good look when you're trying to get more corporate businesses onboard with your solutions.