I love B4X. Is it lasting forever?

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
And I think you consider the compiler (transpiler really) to be part of the IDE, is that correct? Or is it part of the repository on GitHub and I just didn't understand it?
...I think the next you gonna ask Erel... give you the keys of his House...🤣

No offense... because i "still" appreciate and understand what do you mean and what do you want...
I have a question...

+ You know that IDE and compiler no need internet to work ? right ? (So there isn't a magical way to stop working by accident)
+ Is it working now ? with the latest system updates (windows, android)

I am sure you gonna answer (because you are fair/right) - YES
Do you have the source of components b4xpages, connections to java libs... etc ? YES
Are you doing your work ? YES
Can you extend it ? YES

---------------------------------------------------------

Let's take an example... of other language... hmmm let's say MS Visual FoxPro...

Do you have the code of IDE ? NO
Do you have the code of compiler ? NO
Do you have the code of components-library ? NO
Is it working right at the new versions of Windows ? NO
Can you extend it ? NO

---------------------------------------------------------

The only problem is if the Android Change a lot... or Windows change the way of working... the whole architect...
But this is something that will make problems at all the languages...
Even if you have the source-code - if the total-environment change a lot... you will have probelm with ANY programming language.

In Greece we have a "saying"... you can't get fat off a fly (blah :))

Let's have FAITH... not at Erel... generally...

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Magma:
Yes, we all love Erel and B4X and almost certainly they both are the most wonderful things the universe has ever produced. And there are other people and products that are not nearly as lovable, and we really dislike those people or products. Can we please get that out of the way now?

This isn't about the greatness of Erel/B4X or how much worse it is with some other companies/solutions. This is only about the fact that Anywhere Software is a one-man company, which makes it vulnerable. Which also makes its users - us - vulnerable.

If I used B4X as a toy for pet projects I really wouldn't care. But that's not the case. I'm making a living by using B4X, which I use to support my family. I live daily with a worry that B4X will go away, because then I will have very big problems as soon as Google or Apple come up with some new requirement - and there's nobody out there to update B4X to meet those requirements.

A comment on the discussion itself: The whole topic doesn't get any help at all by the numerous forum members showering Erel with love and trust as soon as a chance is given. I've said it before and I say it again: This is not about not trusting Erels good intentions or will to run B4X until old age. This is only about the fact that nobody has full control over their own destiny, be it illness, accident or whatever. And what happens to B4X if the worst would happen to Erel?

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that your concerns... no need to exist... they simply increase the general stress that exists on our planet...

for paragraph-questions:
1) Yes.. OK :)
2) But if we are not compare it... what's the point ? is that "thread" only for anxius ?
3) I feel that I am in the same side... but which company or tool - do you "feel" that is closest at your requirements of EOL ?
a. I think that Google-Alphabet is the closest at Android... but if Google decide, tomorrow to leave android... and name it AI-droid... also change java-unix system.. and prefer something new... ???? - or even better (for them)... decide to sell Android to Apple... ?
b. For B4J... if OpenJAVA or JAVA change the architect or the way of thinking tomorrow...
c. and What if Apple or Google bought by Elon Musk or other Billionaire... and decide... to have a different System... isn't a possibility ?

Ofcourse all these have a %....

And changes at SDK are very possible... but is it need changes at IDE ?

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But not the whole thing; not enough to compile it into your own version of the products.
This I think summarizes the worry.

@Erel I request you to give some steps to download..compile the source codes from the github.
I do not have that knowledge or capability on Java, so I can not do it myself. But experts here can if they get all the steps properly.

After that we will see how much is left to do and take further steps on them.

This way this whole worry will be settled for once and all.

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@AnandGupta just realized that having an "Expert" Label down at my NickName... plz have in mind I am not the right expert here... for that... :) - but I am sure that in this forum we ll find many.
And there are many members who do not have the 'Expert' label, but are Expert as they have answered complex query and also given numerous sample codes to us.
The label is just for numbers of posts, which can be as simple as 'Start a new thread' :)

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
And there are many members who do not have the 'Expert' label, but are Expert as they have answered complex query and also given numerous sample codes to us.
The label is just for numbers of posts, which can be as simple as 'Start a new thread' :)
I agree !