Latin / Greek readers wanted

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The point is why you bring it up?
As I wrote in that blog, it is an interesting place, 10 minutes drive from my home. The more I learn about it, the more I find it interesting.
With the exception of a few archeologists, no one knew about this cave and story.

makis_best

Licensed User
Longtime User
As I wrote in that blog, it is an interesting place, 10 minutes drive from my home. The more I learn about it, the more I find it interesting.
With the exception of a few archeologists, no one knew about this cave and story.
Now we all know....
Good you intersted about the past.

Last edited:

yiankos1

Licensed User
Longtime User
i think ΓΚΕΤΕ in ancient greek means nothing. ΗΚΕΤΕ means "go" in ancient greek. ΙΚΕΤ' means begged, worshiped
1.jpg

I see three more letters without a meaning Σ or Ε-Ψ-μ. Last letter is a lower case M, but as i know ancient Greeks did not use lower case...

Last edited:

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i think ΓΚΕΤΕ in ancient greek means nothing. ΗΚΕΤΕ means "go" in ancient greek. ΙΚΕΤ' means begged, worshiped
This was just the Google translation.
go/gone Baby. (He also translated went to Crete)

But to understand what is written, it is necessary to analyze the stone and the ink well. Some parts may be faded to such an extent that they are invisible to the eye but detectable with other tests and make the writing clearer

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i think ΓΚΕΤΕ in ancient greek means nothing.
As said before, IMHO there's no intial gamma; so IKETE looks good as the word on the first row.
On second row I seem to recognize an initial omega "ω" (could be it an invocation like "oh,..")?
On third row, could the apparent "ψ" be instead a "φ" and the sigma be an "E" leading to "eiφ'" or even " ἕψω" (too many alternatives due to vanished signs)?

All the above could lead to a phrase like "ικετε ὠπή Δί .. " which could be stretched to an invocation like "I beg you, watch me Zeus"

..then a thunderbolt from the divinity hit the cave and the food got cooked (ἕψω") boiled.. :D

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@yankos1 ancient Greeks did not use lower case... +1 ///exactly...

but what about mathematics... ??? μ Σ in lower cases mean something more....

+what if all these letters are actually "no greek" but "just" symbols... (sometimes symbols tell more)

* The write at stones/rock is charcoal or burned ?
* The "white" material is plaster or salts...
* Is it sure that all these written 500 years bC...
* That rock is on "TOP" of cave, at the floor or at sides...

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The write at stones/rock is charcoal or burned ?
Looks charcoal.

The "white" material is plaster or salts...
There are multiple layers of plasters on the wall.

Is it sure that all these written 500 years bC...
Based on the academic paper it is from 5th or 6th century AD (+500).

That rock is on "TOP" of cave, at the floor or at sides...
The text is on the cave wall. Right above the table where the 6 stone bowls stood. One of the bowls is still there.

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
soon Erel will change his avatar to:

1610618268492.png

(😂 just kidding, I must admit, i also like reading and learning about the past. how people lived, how they solved simple tasks in those days where they did not have the tech we have today. it is very interesting to see such historic findings.)

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
well... hmm not the same-exactly material.... (blue circles) different color...

My opinion that may be the letters/symbols written after the found of bowls... or just symbols of creators/builders of bowls... for easy-better designing... like basic's "REM"

But i am not the "Indy" here... better call archeologist services :)

pliroforikos

Licensed User
Ι believe that thw first word is "κείται" which means sitting or laying down sick or dead body.
Maybe a child from second word "ΠΑΙΔΙ" but words are not clear enough
or foot from greek word "ΠΟΔΙ"

Last edited:

makis_best

Licensed User
Longtime User
and what if the one who wrote that words was not a good speller?
And what if Γ come to I after years or the other way around?
No one can understand exactly .