Latin / Greek readers wanted

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
PaintDotNet_ccG2blV12f.jpg

What do you see in this 5th century writing on a (very interesting) cave wall? Does it have any meaning?

Full story about this ancient place: https://hirbetqana.wordpress.com/2020/12/16/cana-of-galilee/

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What if they played a joke on posterity by making random signs and imagining that 2000 years later we would go crazy trying to give it meaning?

Or he might have written "I got stuck in this cave. Help me !! But soon don't wait for thousands of years"

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have read the history of the place and certainly mystical.

But I think that although these places arouse many feelings what for a person who attributes a spiritual value to the story that these places tell are the episodes in themselves and the places, however attractive.

But they would be worth visiting

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It is Greek and means:

"Still and only pray Zeus, the only god that really exists"

😄

[Do not forget that in a hundred years at the most, Humans will no longer die]
[and not because everyone will already be dead because of Covid!]

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Yes....but what does the ancient Hebrew at that site mean?

Cookie. המשך השימוש באתר מהווה את ההסכמה שלך לשימוש באלו.
לקבלת מידע נוסף, כולל מידע על השליטה בקובצי Cookies, ניתן לעיין בעמוד p: [/QUOTE ]

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Why only jokes? Where are our Greek developers???

:)
My fault I paved the way in the wrong way.
Next time I'll count up to 32767 before writing anything :oops:

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Why only jokes? Where are our Greek developers???
Apologies @Erel.it wasn't respectful of your query..fact is the one person I know and his teacher of ancient Greek are now out of contact....so there are people out here who might know. Can't help.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I used Google translate here is the result: Go to Creta

IMG_20210108_072725.jpg

Last edited:

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Someone called for GREEK developers team :)
First of all Happy new YEAR !

interesting...
5th century ... sure... ?

may be is english+greek ΓκεΤε ΠΑΙΔΙ (child) --> GeT a CHILD

also... ΓΚΕΤΕ seems like symbols:
_
| [< [- | [<

IF you google "ΓΚΕΤΕ" ---> getting info about: Goethe-Institut Thessaloniki (but is close to 18 century) - wikipedia

MAYBE... was ΚΕΙΤΕ (KEITE) that means someone at the floor (like a dead) ΚΕΙΤΕ ΠΑΙΔΙ... a dead kid at the floor...

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm not from the wonderful land named Greece but when in school I studied old greek language for some time.
In my opinion there's no "gamma" at the beginning of the first word. Nor a "T" in between the word. The topping sign looks like a line that intersects the initial vertical one, like two sides of a box (mostly vanished).
So, if I'm right, the first word should be "kei" followed by a vanished one (we seems to read a tailing "e") on the firs row
Second row looks even more puzzling. Why use capital letters for "P" and "D" in the same word? What about the character that precedes the "P"? Could it be a lowercase omega? And, eventually, could the "P" be a "t" followed by an "i" ?

Anyway, if we keep just what we can read "kei ped" (no, it's not an ancient keypad) @Magma conclusion (a child lying there) sounds ok.

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User