B4J Question Protecting code against decompilation and theft?

MegatenFreak

Licensed User
Hi. I'm already using B4J obfuscation, which helps a lot with making decompiled code harder to follow.
I was wondering if there is a technique or tool I'm missing to give my app better security.
The thing is, mine is a huge app to be used in large companies, and it's a first (in terms of all-in-one capabilities) in the country, so I really fear it would be stolen and reproduced by others competing in the market. Since there's no "signature" in desktop apps, coders can decompile, alter, and recompile the app in attempts to make it theirs. I'm looking for ways to make that much harder to accomplish.
Any tips will be appreciated.
Thank you.

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The result is Java code. There are (very expensive) solutions like https://protector4j.com/ who claim protection. However, depending on the level of the one doing the reverse engineering, nothing can really protect your code. Goes for every language and just depends on how much money they are willing to throw at it to do the decompiling. I agree with Erel that putting critical logic after a secure server is probably your best bet.

Upvote 0

teddybear

Licensed User
You can apply a patent to protect your intellectual property

Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Probably your best "protection scheme" will be to move fast on the market once you're ready.
Show and sell as many copies of your work as you can in a short time frame. Make customers happy with you, your sw and your business model.
At that point, even if someone steals your code (or even the rough idea at its base) it will be quite difficult to knock on the same doors you already visited and where you were appreciated. Why leave the nice, dependable guy (you) to switch to the newcomer?

Trying to technically protect your sw is time and (mental) energy consuming. Use that same time (and energy) to expand your client base, add features and costantly refine your sw. Clones will arrive on the market, but if you keep the entry barrier high enough you'll end up in a comfortable, well protected state.

Upvote 0

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Probably your best "protection scheme" will be to move fast on the market once you're ready.
Show and sell as many copies of your work as you can in a short time frame. Make customers happy with you, your sw and your business model.
At that point, even if someone steals your code (or even the rough idea at its base) it will be quite difficult to knock on the same doors you already visited and where you were appreciated. Why leave the nice, dependable guy (you) to switch to the newcomer?

Trying to technically protect your sw is time and (mental) energy consuming. Use that same time (and energy) to expand your client base, add features and costantly refine your sw. Clones will arrive on the market, but if you keep the entry barrier high enough you'll end up in a comfortable, well protected state.
True, but very difficult for "small business"...

Upvote 0

MegatenFreak

Licensed User
I did have a marketing guy, but he gave up and bailed after a couple of years of failure.
I've got a new guy now, who's more determined. I gotta push harder!!
It's extra-specially hard in a country like Iran. Here connections mean everything, especially if you're connected to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard. They run every damn thing in the country.

Upvote 0

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Software (or an idea for) is very hard to protect. You should've consulted with a laywer specialized in such things and have patented the crucial parts a long time ago, before you wrote even the first line of code to have some chance to protect it. But as you say, this is indeed very difficult to do for a small business.

Upvote 0

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I did have a marketing guy, but he gave up and bailed after a couple of years of failure.
I've got a new guy now, who's more determined. I gotta push harder!!
It's extra-specially hard in a country like Iran. Here connections mean everything, especially if you're connected to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard. They run every damn thing in the country.
I can't understand how hard it is... is it worth to work as developer with all these "situations"? (sorry, i have to say... without democracy or without "west conveniences"... hope not listen/read bad for you - i have nothing with your country and i don't know how it is to live there... from photos seems excellent wonderful for turism)

Why not work with "internet" - selling to clients-outside Iran ?

ps: also if this post make you feel somehow... - I am gonna delete it...

Upvote 0