Swiss-based B4X programmers needed

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,
to overcome a recurring problematic point when contracting with a new would-be customer, I'd like to form a virtual group of skilled B4X programmers living in Switzerland or in the 20Km limit from the Italian border to Ticino.
The goal is to simply offer assurance to our customers, in the unfortunate event of a temporary (or definitive) inability to maintain our software.
That, together with source code availability, should overcome any critics about the risks to engage with a one-man show company like mine (and most of yours, I guess).

We can discuss how we can formalize the existence and the mutual assistance guaranteed by the virtual group. At the moment is just an idea.

Obviously, something similar could be put together for any other geographic area.

Thank you for your attention and any comment.

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
Speaking of software development, this is a very unusual request
I have worked, even for years, with people I have never physically known
And the problems have always been solved, from a distance In the same way as they could have been solved in proximity

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
Speaking of software development, this is a very unusual request
I have worked, even for years, with people I have never physically known
And the problems have always been solved, from a distance In the same way as they could have been solved in proximity
I agree but I think for some people it’s more comforting if (for example) you say there we are a group of developers in Switzerland. It’s easier for a large company to comprehend if all the people involved are local.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Let me highlight the word virtual when referring to the group of programmers. My proposal it's not about collaborative working or sharing projects. It's a kind of assurance (for the prospect customer), a way to have available a backup-person in the unlikely event we won't be able to go on with our work.
All is to be seen by the customer's perspective, not ours.
We can still collaborate worldwide to develop a project. With one or tens of programmers. This is the behind the scenes of the magic to yield a product. The customer should not even know about that process, while time and financial constraints follow the agreement.

What matters is that there exists an agreement where at least another expert programmer could substitute us in the event we can no longer maintain our software.
So, a pool of available backup persons, ready to take on a project, willing to move (occasionally) a few chilometers to meet the customer in person, listed on a document the customer can read while evaluating our proposal against that of the competition, in my opinion could solve one of our weakest point.

Once they know that there are others ready to jump in, even the question about the tools used to develop the product becomes less and less relevant.

BTW, at least a couple of times someone argued about Anywhere Software in the event Erel decides to quit with it.
We know that him planned about the source code and other measures to keep us safe. A simple solution like the one proposed here (the backup person or group) should help to stop at the origin any fear about long term support of our beloved tools and the time investment we all did with them.

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
"Custom" Software is always a term-contract for the end-user.

A "programmer" at the "region" of customer is a safety that can feel, touch, revile-blast, beat :confused: (why not)
A "technical-support" at the "region" of customer is safer for two parts (programming company<->end customer)

The idea of selling the source-code to the end customer - that may be never will have the power/knowledge to use it... is something that I always thinking (you never know, when you are going to die, or sick, etc) especially for products/software not having "replacement" (rare). Is also something that gives higher cost 💕

I think that is more/much honest - better and much safer to sell as a service... if it is something will have public
Having partners that will support is an "add", but you must honest that these will only supporters, installers (and the communication person for the region)... and not programmers.. those partners you can pay them by the visit counts, by hour... by month (if you need for Greece I am in)

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The idea of selling the source-code to the end customer
That one is not my idea. Generally, I own full rights while selling services following the SaaS model.
When a bespoke sw is involved, I still keep rights (depending on the agreement) but I like to give the customer a form of assurance (exactly like Erel did for all of us): in case anything goes wrong with my person, they will have full access to the source code.
This thread is about the "missing point": having handy someone that knows what to do with that source code.

In general, they buy me not the sw. Even for those acquiring the source code from the beginning, they want me to maintain it. I tend to develop a strong relationship (close to a friendship) with customers. So my goal is to assure them about any event. Like we're used to do for ourselvese and our families.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
😁😁😁
Dangerous path... selling yourself!
Absolutely not the best way to express what's better explained later in the same post. In Italian it's a common expression (and I guess it sounds similar in other languages too) altough it remains a bit ..ambiguous:)
So definitely I won't sell neither myself nor my body. Eventually I could consider renting my body for a couple of hours to a very pretty girl.. heheh (yes, my wife is not yet home)

Intelemarketing

Licensed User
Longtime User
Last week there was a storm in Australia in the Central West (Inland from Sydney). A number of towns were hit with Telephone blackout and Internet Blackout - for about 24 hours. If the same situation hits your 20Km limit from the Italian border to Ticino, I guess all your customers get no support .... for as long as it takes. I support customers via internet over an area larger than the whole of Europe (Australia) - Where is the issue having a support network deliberately not in only one location, for security reasons ? If you like the idea of meeting each other and going out for drinks, then my idea is worthless🙂

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
20Km limit
This ain't a real limit. There are special tax agreements between Italy and Switzerland that apply to people living close to the national borders.
So, my customers could hire a programmer to continue my work not only in Switzerland but in Italy too, knowing this person will be close enough to meet them at any time and that would not cause tax management burden on them.

I have to highlight it again. This thread is more about a form of assurance for customers hiring us, one-man band professionals, than solliciting for the creation of a group of programmers willing to share their creations.