Transfer files between 2 computers?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i got me a new pc and i would like to transfer all my b4x projects to my new pc. i asked chatgpt and this is what she answered:

will try out when i get home :)
anyone has another idea how to do that? note that i am talking about 200gb folder

EDIT: another solution:

Last edited:

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would use a USB connected SSD like I use for backup as probably the fastest way of doing it.

I was courious...

USB 2.0: Up to 480 Mbps (megabits per second)
USB 3.0: Up to 5 Gbps (gigabits per second)
USB 3.1: Up to 10Gbps
USB 3.2: Up to 20 Gbps (with USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 mode)
USB 4.0: Up to 40 Gbps (if using Thunderbolt 4 mode)

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
are they connected by a 1000mbit?
If not then it will be real slow
i assume i need to connect them using the cable. just plug it into the lan port like i would plug in to the router.
and follow the instruction chagpt gave me (have not tried yet, will do that when i get home)

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Is the new computer to replace the old one, or to use both?
If to use both then maybe a NAS on the network , then both can access the files as needed.

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
here is a video example

To have... lan cable direct to other pc... you must use reversed ethernet cable - caution ! that will not have the best speed / also not the best idea always - can burn your ethernets !!!!

...my secure and fast opinion always using at my pc-shop... buy a switch 1 gbps (like mercusys... 8-9$) and two cables cat-6 1m (~1$) ... create a network... share the folders you want... and voila 100MB / sec not mbit... from one pc to other...

there are better switches nowdays... like tplink 10GBIT... you will have about ~500MB/sec - but this has to do and with your drives speed....

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If your comps are recent you dont need a crossover cable the ports will detect a straight cable and use accordingly.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
(N)etwork(A)ttached(S)torage

this looks really good but it is very expensive

4 rays WITHOUT HardDisk cost around 600 euro

add hard disk and you will end with 1000 euro :confused:
need something cheaper

but i do like the idea of having a shared folder on a local private network at home where i can access it from anywhere.
i have 2 mac minis. maybe i can turn 1 (the old mac mini) to act like a server that have a shareable folder?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
To have... lan cable direct to other pc... you must use reversed ethernet cable - caution ! that will not have the best speed / also not the best idea always - can burn your ethernets !!!!

...my secure and fast opinion always using at my pc-shop... buy a switch 1 gbps (like mercusys... 8-9$) and two cables cat-6 1m (~1$) ... create a network... share the folders you want... and voila 100MB / sec not mbit... from one pc to other...

there are better switches nowdays... like tplink 10GBIT... you will have about ~500MB/sec - but this has to do and with your drives speed....
can you put links to the needed hardware?
i dont understand what switch i need for that
(i am really a noob in networking!)

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
(i am really a noob in networking!)
Start with giving the Ethernetcard-info regarding speed on your PC.
Is it a 10mbit, 100mbit or 1000MBit/1GBit?

Networkspeed of your Router
Do it have slotw for 10mbit, 100mbit or 1000MBit/1GBit?

If you just want to go from pc1<->pc2 then all you need is a Ethernet-SWITCH.

PC1<->SWITCH<->PC2
ex:
PC1<->SWITCH Ethernetcable from PC1 to Switch
SWITCH<->PC2 Ethernetcable from Switch to PC2

In all cases best is to have 1GBit everywhere to speed up the process of transfering data.

Examplelinks
- 1GBit Switch 5 Port
- Ethernetcable

Last edited:

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would use a USB connected SSD like I use for backup as probably the fastest way of doing it.
I totally agree... I would do the same...

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
this looks really good but it is very expensive

4 rays WITHOUT HardDisk cost around 600 euro

add hard disk and you will end with 1000 euro :confused:
need something cheaper

but i do like the idea of having a shared folder on a local private network at home where i can access it from anywhere.
i have 2 mac minis. maybe i can turn 1 (the old mac mini) to act like a server that have a shareable folder?
Nas synology are the best.. ..and qnap
But with 2 red 2tb disks and 223j model and like cloud features ... need 450$