Transfer files between 2 computers?

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

TX401 Tp-link 10Gbit PCIe -----> ~120$ x 2 (for two PCs - for the specific network (example) need ilan)

and

TP-LINK TL-SX1008 v2 Unmanaged L2 Switch με 8 Θύρες Gigabit (10Gbps) Ethernet ----> 450$

I think that those speeds needed for SOHO (small office sure) nowdays.... when have Gibabit speed for internet... 10GBps for LAN is a must.... but too expensive :)

* also new motherboards have 2.5GBits lan cards... at nowdays.... the good, gaming models (Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI... etc)

but the speeds are lovely.... have in mind to use those speed... cables must be Cat-6A type .... before some days bought Cat-7 and Cat-8 - those cables are ultra fast but "EXPENSIVE too" the cost goes x10 times more for just cables... a simple CAT-5E can have speed 2.5GBits... a cat-6 5GBits... 6a+ 10GBits...

* also at quad and plus (+) models of NAS Synolody there are always 2 x Gbits ports... that ports can bond... and offere double speed at a fast network.. :)
* remember to understand those speeds.. you must have at your PC NvMe disks... with READ SPEED more than 5000MB/sec...

Well we think that tech is cheap... but new models and new tech is also too expensive !!!!! need a fortune to buy all these...

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you'd need a lan capable of 40Gbps to write that fast
Therotically yes... but... in disks... plays from small to big file size... IOPS...

....but imagine.... if have a network and file server.... probably this server will have the Files all need... the same time... so in a small network of 5-6 people - 10GBPS with NVMe will do the job :)

40GBps... !!!! i think that those switch or bigger willl have x4 fortunes :)

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My lan is rated at 1 Gig (router & 4x1 Gig switches(1x10port & 3x5port)) that is amply fast enough considering how many things are connected to it. (3xTv's 3xComputers 3xXboxes 2xNas drives printer ...)

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My lan is rated at 1 Gig (router & 4x1 Gig switches(1x10port & 3x5port)) that is amply fast enough considering how many things are connected to it. (3xTv's 3xComputers 3xXboxes 2xNas drives printer ...)
mine too... at office and at home... 1gbps... can't afford 10gbps...

but already sold at my pc-shop those 10gbits and are ultra fast.... ...hope some time updrage to them...

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would use a USB connected SSD like I use for backup as probably the fastest way of doing it.
Absolutely agree (but I haven't read through the whole thread now, maybe this has already been posted in a similar way).

Either way, it will take time. In general, there is a problem with copying files, which definitely makes the speed of USB take a back seat. The transfer speed of USB 3.0 or USB 4.0 may be relatively high. But that's only half the story. The copying speed depends primarily on the processing speed of the file system on the USB hard drive and on the target system. In other words: If you copy a folder of 3GB in size but containing 30,000 tiny files to another medium, you will at best reach the speed of USB 1.0 at some point. Each file must of course also be entered in the administration directory on the target computer and this will then slow down the file transfer very quickly.
But who cares? Well, you have a new computer and want to copy the data. Attach the USB hard drive and simply push it on. It just takes as long as it takes. And then do the whole thing again...
And the variant via NAS...
Well, sending and reading data to the network drive at the same time may seem advantageous at first glance. However, the read and write processes then interfere with each other.
Ethernet cable is also a solution, but not everyone may have it at home. A fast USB disc might be more suitable. It still takes time... Does an hour more or less really matter?

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Does an hour more or less really matter?
1709837615005.png

well, it depends... just kidding :)

* ...Remember, at your new computer - you can also have an extra window - with B4X Forum / the same time copying - so the time will pass fast :)

chams

Licensed User
Longtime User
but usb i need to do the same process twice.
pc -> usb
usb -> new pc

with ethernet cable pc-> pc
Disassemble the disk from the old pc and connect them with a sata <-> Usb 3.0 interface to the new one. Then reassemble the disk in the old PC.
Other solution : Buy a SSD (40$ for 1To...), connect them to a sata <-> usb 3.0 interface.
Boot on the old pc with a ubuntu iso, and with disks, make an image of the old pc. (see
img with disks
Afterwards boot on the new pc with Ubuntu image, and restore the old pc image on the new one. You will restore data and your coding environnement 🙂) This second solution is slow, and Gnome disks don't compress the image (Disk size have to be > to the partition size.) Alternatively, you can mount your old PC image as a virtual machine on the new one. (With Virtualbox, convert the img to vdi :
VBoxManage convertfromraw --format VDI oldpc.img newpc.vdi
). By doing this, you can work on old projects (with the original dependencies) and setup a new dev environnement. This solution is a good option if you have to maintain old customers applications 🙂.)
Enjoy your new pc 🙂

Filippo

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would use a USB connected SSD like I use for backup as probably the fastest way of doing it.
This is the quickest, cheapest and easiest way!
I always use it when I go on vacation and have to take my laptop with all my B4x projects.
I simply use Robocopy for copying.
For example:
robocopy K:\B4xDaten G:\B4xDaten /DCOPY:T /MIR

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just use your preferred remote desktop application. As a company we use TeamViewer which has a free tier. You just put it on both computers login from one and transfer what you need. Then I keep the old computer on all the time with team viewer setup so I can log into it anytime. Then I start using the new computer and if there's anything I missed that I need off the old one I can just jump on to it and get it.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
so what i ended doing it following.
i used a 64gb usb3 flashdrive. the speed was not very fast i guess because there are a lot small files. sometimes under 100kb speed and in large files 80-90mb/sec
and i also tried using private network and transfer data from 1 pc (created a shared folder) to second pc and speed was also the same.. large files around 80mb/sec and many small files 100-300kb/sec

so now i am thinking if i want to have both pc synced with the new data or save everything only in the new pc.
maybe it is a good idea to have all my data backed up if something happens. i remember reading a thread by someone that his laptop was stolen with all his projects. this is a nightmare for everyone that works daily with a pc.

RichardN

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a 4TB NAS over 10/100/1000 ethernet but I only use it for document backup, music and videos as it lends itself better for access by the media servers around the house.

For PC files including my programming work I expanded the PC with an Icybox which houses a JBOD array of 4x 1TB hard drives that I salvaged from previous PCs before scrapping them. The interface is USB3 so plenty fast enough writing around 35Mb/sec. Including the fast internal M2 drive I use for video editing my PC effectively has 7 disk drives.

QSerg

1. Directly via network
2. Get DDS out of old PC and install it in new one. Alternatively put it in USB box and connect to new PC
2. Use external USB drive or 3-rd device on network, but you have to do it twice.