Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Last edited:

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
and when they ask "show us all the apps you made with it on Google Play and iTunes" what will you answer then?

that the multi million euro earning app is already 5+ years in constant development and soon to be released? ;)
I could;
or
I could show them many projects I developed and/or few apps published;
or
I could answer that to teach mathematics it is not necessary to be a brace, or that to teach zoology it is not necessary to work in a zoo or be a mouse.

Would you like to ask Erel how many Android apps he has released just because he... knows B4A and can teach it?

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Would you like to ask Erel how many Android apps he has released just because he... knows B4A and can teach it?

no, I'm just saying that when there is money involved people want to see/touch something instead of taking blind decissions by relying on someone's word.

we all know you will be good at it if you talk/explain as well as you type here ;)

I'm not sure if this product line is for euro high school as the demand in (belgian) companies is mostly .NET (desktop), 'real' Java (multi), objC (ios).
It's excellent when you have free choice (self employed) or to get children/adults into programming as you have the same language for desktop/mobile
and Arduino and with electronics getting ultracheap (thank you Aliexpress) there are a lot more options for 'playing' with electronics than years ago.

I'm always having the principle that if the end result does what it needs to do that it doesn't matter with what it is made.
Unfortunately not everyone is that flexible.

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm always having the principle that if the end result does what it needs to do that it doesn't matter with what it is made.
Unfortunately not everyone is that flexible.
I agree and use tools which serves my requirement. I use Xbase++, Harbour, AutoHotkey to name a few.
But the subject is not what one will use for his/her requirement, but have another option, B4A is now added in users hand for free.
There are pros and cons between B4A and other development tools for Android and similarly for Windows and Mac.

Erel is just giving users a choice and he is working hard to make it a better choice.

Regards,

Anand

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm not sure if this product line is for euro high school as
... and this is, in your opinion, only for the school here (and then for me) or for the others mentioned above too? [Rhetorical question]

"Once upon a time"... there was a language whose name was "Visual Basic Net"; then C# born and since then the latter became a "professional language", while the poor "VB Net" was considered a toy (by professional idiots).

Tomorrow, when someone will ask you what quick (RAD!) tool you know to develop apps and you will answer "AS - Java" they will look at you as a poor ignorant.

1581419825078.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you didn't get what I was writing. In a world of supply and demand it makes more sense for a (high)school to teach what companies are looking for.
(And this is heavily region depending)

does that make all the rest bad?

not at all because

1. it's partly short sighting of the companies based mainly on project continuation when a programmer gets out of the company (leave, fired, illness, died)
or when the team expands.

2. it's project depending. Desktop apps are usually .NET based unless you want to support multiple OS (Windows, MacOS, Linux).
Gaming is die hard C/C++ for obvious speed reasons. So there's a market for everything.

I worked several years for a hospital to script automatic software deployment and other programming projects.
overthere their own dev team used Delphi while they could've used VB aswell as it is all Windows platform based.
Others would prefer to write it all with Lazarus which is also a Turbo Pascal based forms compiler.
In the end it's a choice made by some people.

There are a lot of programmers who use other products in their private time than what they use for their profession.
Which shows that the personal choice could be a better one than the forced one by the employer.
I prefer to use B4J as much as possible even when I can get VB for free these days as it is a lot faster in startup/use.

I know a company who sells a software package made in a tool called WinDev.
I've never heard of WinDev before when they contacted me (8 years ago) but in the end their end product just looks like a regular VB/C# app.
If you look now at the clients WinDev has I can only hope the same will happen with B4X as it proves that the dominators (VisualStudio) are not the only good choice.

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you didn't get what I was writing. In a world of supply and demand it makes more sense for a (high)school to teach what companies are looking for.
(And this is heavily region depending)
Actually... I was sleeping while I was writing that post; the school next door is mixed, high school but also lower levels.

Well, at least until a few years ago (😭) many "serious" companies had IBM iSeries systems, programmable with RPLE (and still with the very old COBOL, in some cases); should we teach those languages?

However I understand you, currently you still need to know C, C++, C#, Java... but it mainly depends on what you have to develop; for Android apps B4A is certainly the best ever.

Upvote 0

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
currently you still need to know C, C++, C#, Java

some of them are being teached but like a few weeks for each which is useless aswell imho.

indeed, it all depends on what you want to develop. If you are being forced to use library X which only exists for VS then you're stuck.

for me for the small tools that I need (data generators, custom editors) B4J is perfect and thanks to the writeObj method the data is without problems interchangable between all platforms (desktop/android/ios) without the need to convert to csv/xml/json as inbetween step first.

I already had in mind to post screenshots of the tool(s) used in the B4J Share forum when I release new games.
You never know people might be more interested in using B4J for that when they see it done by someone else first.
It's simply ideal.

Upvote 0

ocalle

Licensed User
Longtime User
Excellent i wish the best of lucks.

Upvote 0

Daica

Licensed User
I didn't see this in the other post or this post, but, will resources be available to download for non-licensed members?
Some libraries are locked unless you are registered or is a licensed member, will that all be free to download now?
I'm already a licensed member, so just asking for other people.
Great job on getting this far !

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
but, will resources be available to download for non-licensed members?
Some libraries are locked unless you are registered or is a licensed member, will that all be free to download now?

B4A resources should be freely downloadable now.

This applies not to B4i resources. At least not for now..

Upvote 0

Daica

Licensed User
B4A resources should be freely downloadable now.

This applies not to B4i resources. At least not for now..

That's exciting!
I know there are many great programmers out there that can do a lot with this tool and can offer to help out as well. I'm not very good so all I can do is ask questions, but sometimes my questions also help people learn :)

Upvote 0

Toky Olivier

Licensed User
Longtime User
C, C++, C#, Java
Just want to add ... (Object) Pascal (I'm also a fun of Lazarus FreePascal/Delphi, first one is free and 2nd one has community edition). Many can say that this is a lost languange but... me, they are good for me. I can create (and easily) Android apps with those RAD BUT what I can say is, B4A is different, much more better, first of all because of the community and Erel support.
Netherless, ... I won't never abandon Delphi/Lazarus FP because I have many desktop app developped with those RAD.

Upvote 0

Laurent95

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
Thank you Erel, it's a great new and i think that B4A will indeed grow more .
Best regards

Upvote 0