Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Last edited:

scsjc

Licensed User
Longtime User
thanks Erel,
I thing that is a great decision, and I'm sure b4x is great solution to work.

Many people will help grow to b4a without limit, and it will surely be one of the most used development systems.

It is a pleasure to have worked with such a perfect system and a great forum.

Regards to Erel and all forum people
👍👍👍

Upvote 0

Put Claude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank You Erel,

I tryed many programming stuff from in the beginning programming exist.
From basic to C , java, ... and so on. What You build up is realy amazing, never had something soooo easy and fast.
B4a is a beautiful thing to use for a 77 year old, and I am even using B4ppc a lot for the fast trying windows things...
I was up to date with B4a till now...
Of coarse I wil contribute in the future...

Put Claude Belgium

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The support is still the same.

Upvote 0

PaulS

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel et al, I'm not sure what to think of this news but I'm sceptical by nature. I though B4A was great when it came out but as soon as I bought the product some years ago the version was updated and without buying a new license the software was almost immediately out of date. I think I've been getting ugrade offers ever since. The result was I stopped using it shortly after buying it. Now how long will it be before it gets updated again and back to a paid product? Will that be in the next update? Will that be next week? It is one thing that the framework is open source (which is great to know and a very good move) but what about the interface? I guess it's some C variant. Unless the interface is also made open source I would not have much interest in spending time getting to know this product again sorry. Thanks for the offer, let me know if ever you choose to fully open source it. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a very useful tool for developers and I know the B4 software developers need to earn a crust, I'm just too old now to go walking down blind alleyways or possible dead end streets :-(

Regards,
Paul

Upvote 0

ddefrain

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank You SO Much, Erel, and All the Support Team at B4X, A big Hug to All of You Guys 🤗

Long Live to B4X
Long Live to Erel and All of You Support Team

Upvote 0

R D Boozer

Licensed User
Thanks, Erel. I haven't written another Android app in the past year. However, if and when I do, it will be with B4A again, because it's just plain more convenient than other options in my opinion. I may even try going multiplatform the next time, just to learn the ins and outs of doing so.

Upvote 0

RandomCoder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've been dormant for a while due to having too many projects on the go and too little free time, but having just seen the news I had to sign in and wish Erel success in this new chapter for B4A. It truly deserves to be recognised as the successor to VB, in my humbly opinion.
I've already started spreading the word and can't wait to tell my colleagues at work!

Wishing you all the best,
RandomCoder

Upvote 0

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

where can we find the B4A repository so - who can - can contribute to the source code?

At this point we are not accepting code contributions.

Upvote 0

shb777

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As long as B4A users keep donating/contributing and are not just looking for yet another free ride like it appears to look like to me in a lot of cases, then I'll be more than happy for Anywhere Software. Apparently a good bottle of wine costs about €10, but that €10 could be donated to keep up the development of B4A. Oh yes, and that bottle of wine will be empty the same night.

I've had enough, I'm not saying anymore on this matter.
Just remember that there are also contribution buttons directly under the download button. Maybe Anywhere software should make these buttons bigger and bright orange :mad:

1583911542564.png

Upvote 0

Mike1970

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think B4X is what should be called a RAD development tools. I don't know how many of you had a look at Android Studio (or Swift for iOS) to do a simple "Hello world" app.
I can tell you that it is a real pain!
Well, with Swift is just a bit more simpler than Android Studio but far away from the "RADness" of B4i.

IMHO B4A inherited the best (and the bad) practice of Visual Basic. It looks pretty much that, but it is really another language.
But since it is "close enough" to Visual Basic (and I mean VISUAL BASIC 6) I think that is the reason why many developers choosed B4X and some others did not even give it a try. Once tasted, I think no-one still using Android Studio would continue to still beat the head against a wall with a "cryptic" language.
B4X is enough elegant, even if something could be better, expecially the documentation.
What I mean is for instance:
B4X:
Public Sub MoveCustomDialog(cd As CustomLayoutDialog, Top As Int) As ResumableSub
   Dim no As NativeObject = cd
   Dim MainView As View = no.GetField("alertView").GetField("view")
   Do While MainView.Top = 0
       Sleep(5)
   Loop
   Dim ContentView As View = no.GetField("alertView").GetField("contentView")
   Dim CircleView As View = no.GetField("alertView").GetField("circleView")
   ContentView.Top = -MainView.Top + Top
   CircleView.Parent.Top = -MainView.Top + Top + CircleView.Parent.Top
   Return True
End Sub
Where to know about "alertView", "view", "circleView"?

Erel, you did a wonderful job. So wonderful that honestly it is hard to believe you're alone doing that.
Please take the above as a constructive criticism, because I LOVE B4X
(and I've just contributed with the maximum of the suggested amounts).
To everyone else, expecially if using B4A for business, please consider to donate as much as you can to keep this fantastic tool getting better, powerful AND KNOWN. Since Erel could count on our free word-spreading, Advertisement is not for free. So, contribution means also give an help to promote this fantastic toolset.

Thank you for reading.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Where to know about "alertView", "view", "circleView"?
The correct solution is to avoid using CustomLayoutDialog at all and use B4XDialog.

The three fields you mention are internal fields of a deprecated B4i library named iCustomDialog. You are not expected to ever use these fields.
However when someone wants to do something that is not implemented by the library I try to help them. Even if it means that the code required makes access to internal details that were not exposed.
This has nothing to do with documentation.

Upvote 0