Wish B4J Executables wish(es)

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4J Executables is a godsend for me. This would really help.

1. Be able to do an executable UPDATE that doesn't include java and whatever else doesn't change.
(Or perhaps just a document [edit] OF what needs to be replaced so that we can do that ourselves.)
2. Similar to the above. Be able to create additional executables that could go in the same directory or a common path that would rely on the common files of the original installation. No need to install the entire java runtime for every EXE.
Again, perhaps it is already possible with a little editing and perhaps changing some paths. All that would be needed is a little documentation?
Thanks

Last edited:

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@MrKim an idea is to make your First Installation Exe file as package standalone build (but will only a launcher for you main jar)... as you probably do (i mean by pressing build standalone package)... and from it (1st extracting openjava) (and then) launching the main project as jar (with jshell and args need)... Also in the first-exe you can check for any updates at your site-ftp...

* But ofcourse that doesnt make it smaller... but at least can be one file that can be replaced.... easily...
* Also check that (an old thread):

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
@MrKim an idea is to make your First Installation Exe file as package standalone build (but will only a launcher for you main jar)... as you probably do (i mean by pressing build standalone package)... and from it (1st extracting openjava) (and then) launching the main project as jar (with jshell and args need)... Also in the first-exe you can check for any updates at your site-ftp...

* But ofcourse that doesnt make it smaller... but at least can be one file that can be replaced.... easily...
* Also check that (an old thread):
I am not really sure what you mean here in the first thought. As for the second, there is a good possibility the machines we are installing to will have no internet access.

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
~ I was talking (ofcourse if have internet) for the possibility updating throught internet with a light-simple-small setup-exe (produced by inno-setup). But again is not a single self running portable file...

Your questions as i understand:
1) You wanna have a totally-stand-alone exe file. With just one file... (that will also exract openjava, .net if need, and the project) me too :) ...
2) New Updates smaller exe files... wanna check if openjava extracted... .net installed... and if all "framework" ok then run ?

I think will be great creating a project like that... may be need a third language or utility to do that... but sure will be nice !
answering...
1) The first is possible with the first setup (inno will do the job... i think)
2) ...need to think

+1

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User