Does anyone know of an alternative to Ulead's "Cool 3D"?

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
Perhaps some of you still know this programme. After the takeover by Corel, this unique programme sank into oblivion.
For all those who do not know the programme:

With Cool-3D you could create marvellous three-dimensional effects, e.g. for texts, you could let the text burn and burst into thousands of particles or morph it into a completely different structure. You could cover it with various textures and light it up. All this in an animation around all three axes, which could be calculated and saved as a GIF or AVI file.

Now the programme itself would not be the problem, the 30-day trial version is still available on the net. But it no longer runs on newer Windows systems, not even in compatibility mode. My ancient computer for such programmes with WindowsNT is sick, has a defective mainboard...

Why do you need Cool 3D? Well, you can use it to create wonderful GIFs or individual images, for example, which you can then load in an image view under B4J and you have a button with a breathtaking animation. It looks really great, but unfortunately I can no longer get the 20-year-old software to work.

In contrast to other programmes such as Blender, Cool 3D was really intuitive and very easy to use without having to spend 3 semesters at university. Rendering took maybe 5 hours on a Pentium or Pentium2 back then, but that doesn't matter, it's the end product that counts...

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
Does Corel VideoStudio have the features you want?
As the name suggests, this is more of a programme for film editing. A few features of Cool 3D are available, many are missing. That would be a possibility in principle, but it's actually the same as "quickly picking up bread rolls from the bakery round the corner" with a private jet...
Maybe I can find an old laptop with an old operating system. If necessary, I would still have Windows98 around (please don't laugh), but that would be a lot of effort. But the idea of realising animated buttons with self-made 3D animations appeals to me so much that I would even make the effort. It costs nothing...
It's a real shame that this programme has not been developed further and that there is actually no comparable programme.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I still remember this name. I have cd that pack with multimedia. Back then we use macromedia and flash mx. We use gif construction set and many other tools to decorate our html website. My very first website or blog in geocities are hand crafted with plain html. There was no WordPress.
I suggest you can run Windows 98 in VM or Virtualbox.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think i have a cd with a software name Xara 3D. It is another good tool too. I don't think I still can find the cd in the cd pouch. If I still found it, I need to boot a desktop with dvd rom drive.

Sagenut

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I suggest you can run Windows 98 in VM or Virtualbox.
Probably the best option (if not the only) to run such an old software.

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
I made it with VirtualBox. Thanks a lot to AERIC for the idea, it saved my day!

It's a "quick and dirty hack", but... (remember this program is about 30 years old!)
Simply unzip the file for watching, it's an animated GIF.
Feel free to use it if you want. Put it into an imagebox within B4J for example. Works like a button with an animated surface when you catch the click event.

B4XFeedback.gif

Last edited:

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I love this software - simple/fast/doing the job:

Corel Video Studio is the continue of Ulead Video Studio...

Adobe Photoshop has timeline and can create small gif animations..

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
Time for a free animated GIF-repository?

B4xWorld.gif

Another complex one:
Rotating globe, bouncing balls inside, reverse rotating "advertising"...

Last edited: