Android Question GoogleMaps no longer free

marcick

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks to recent changes, with the new GoogleMap Platform we need now to provide billing informations and pay attention using API because they are no longer free. But it's not so easy to understand everything.

A project of mine that uses GoogleMap for example, uses API "Maps SDK for Android" and I see in my console I had 26.000 requests during the last month.

Looking to the first table here: https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/pricing/sheet/
I don't understand my app is using

1) mobile native static maps
2) mobile native dynamic maps
3) static maps
4) dynamics map

Any idea ?

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

BillMeyer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Agree DonManfred As I understand it also.

Mobile Native Dynamic Maps is free if you look at the table. See my conversation here:

Upvote 0

marcick

Licensed User
Longtime User
So the map we show in B4A googlemap or B4I gogglemap are "Mobile Native Dynamic Maps" ?
In this case I have to deal only with the Geocoder API, because I had 24.000 request last month and they offer 40.000 for free. Im approaching the limit ....

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
are "Mobile Native Dynamic Maps" ?
As far as i understand, yes.
deal only with the Geocoder API, because I had 24.000 request last month and they offer 40.000 for free
Time to think over your solution and check if you can lower the requests.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, if you earn "good money" with your app, it might be a good idea to pay for a quality and reliable service to keep your end-users happy...

Upvote 0

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think... that... using OSMDroid... sometimes will help... and if found better maps (no need to create from zero).. and ofcourse those guys making libraries about it do some little updates of it ---- will be BETTER ! :)

Upvote 0

js486dog

Licensed User
Longtime User
OSMDroid for B4A is great library. But there is missing one important function - Overzooming.
If you create offline map with some max zoom (e.g. 16) and you do zoom (17,18,...) over this max zoom (16) and you pan the map - there is blanc (white) map.
Please is someone in the B4A community who knows do update of the OSMDroid library ?
Last one was OSMDroid 4.1 by Martin Pearman. Still very good library but overzooming is missing there.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you are using GoogleMaps library or iGoogleMaps (B4i) then the usage is free as it is considered: Mobile Native Dynamic Maps
My concern (resp. the one from my customer) is if i use Google Maps and google maps extras to create a Tile-Provider. The tiles are on my server.
Are the requests from google to fetch my Tiles included in the "Mobile Native Dynamic Maps" or do these Tile-Request belong to another Category?

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for your Answers!

As I understand it, your case will be completely free.
That´s what i did understand too.

Have you checked the usage console?
I told my customer that we will do this this Friday.

Justed wanted to check in forehand if i can find out which Api does count the requests.
I´ll do some tests later today.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 103

Ok. Hope there will be no surprise, now that they forced me to give the credit card number. What they say today can become false tomorrow.
I did that yesterday too, I hope it was not a mistake that I have to regret. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0