B4J Question Oracle JAVA Roadmap

Discussion in 'B4J Questions' started by Magma, May 15, 2018.

1. Magma

Magma Well-Known Member Licensed User

Hi... i was updating java... and "looked" at their page that JAVA will be not free for business apps..

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/overview/index.html

it will make us a problem for B4J ?

Is there something we can do...

or what will be the right way to be into LAW (the cost) and what will be the other way.... (be in LAW with different way)

any idea someone

2. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

3. Magma

...hmmm... yes ok...

1. OpenJDK will have differences - perhaps in javafx ?
    2. If someone want to have the latest java with the rights of Oracle - the cost ?

4. Enrique Gonzalez R

Enrique Gonzalez R Well-Known Member Licensed User

you are confused,

the article you are quoting is about the UPDATES to JDK 8, not about JDK itself. If you as an enterprise requires an update to JDK8 after the "warranty" is over, Oracle will be willing to make you that update for a small price, we are talking about thousands of dollars of course.

JDK 9 will have support as we know it "free" for some time too,

AND! if you simply hate the idea of having something to do with ORACLE you can use OpenJDK.

OpenJDK is slightly different from ORACLE JDK but for us B4J developers is almost the same. JavaFX will be fully opensourced and that means (i think) a good thing.

Magma likes this.
  5. Magma

@Enrique Gonzalez R

OK - your post was what i wanted ! Seen what they mean with support :)

If javafx will be full opensourced... cover me :)

Enrique Gonzalez R likes this.
  6. OliverA

OliverA Expert Licensed User

Except that you should already be using 10 (if you're unwilling to stick with 8), since the end of public updates for JDK 9 was March 2018. JDK 10's updates stop in September 2018. If support is what you want and long term support at that, then you stick with the LTS (long term support) editions of Java's JDK. The current LTS version is 8 and the next edition will be 11 (coming out in September).

The way I view JDK9 & 10 is as a means to test your applications for functionality under the upcoming LTS release of the JDK. Usage of non-LTS version of the JDK should be prefixed with "caveat emptor".

Source: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

mindful likes this.
  7. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

You aren't forced to update to the next version once the public updates stop. Java is a very stable platform.

Compare it with .Net for example where there are still users who use .Net 4.0 which was released in 2010 and wasn't updated for several years now.

stevel05 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice