Wish Visual Designer, new feature, Import bal file

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello

I think it would be a cool feature to import bal files from within the Visual Designer, or at least attempt to import most of the controls. If it can't convert a control, just create a label with the same name. A small import report could be displayed in a window showing what it did. You could copy the report if you so wish.

Thanks in advance

John.

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello

I think it would be a cool feature to import bal files from within the Visual Designer, or at least attempt to import most of the controls. If it can't convert a control, just create a label with the same name. A small import report could be displayed in a window showing what it did. You could copy the report if you so wish.

Thanks in advance

John.
In General... would nice if any designer of B4X can open/import any layout of 3 platforms... without need to copy-past... general be compatible someway...

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
In General... would nice if any designer of B4X can open/import any layout of 3 platforms... without need to copy-past... general be compatible someway...
Yep, something simple, no copy paste or external tools.

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Since when we copy + paste from one layout to another (may it be between two B4A or B4A and B4J), the designer knows how to paste the copied view.
So import can also employ the same and do the trick.

Lets hope Erel gets some time, as he did for Snippets :)

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
Since when we copy + paste from one layout to another (may it be between two B4A or B4A and B4J), the designer knows how to paste the copied view.
So import can also employ the same and do the trick.

Lets hope Erel gets some time, as he did for Snippets :)
Yes, lets hope :)

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Or a single designer where you can switch. Then I don't have to have 3 designers open and 3 projects.

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As long as we're tagging on more wishes for the visual designer in this thread, I'd like to bring along an old wish: Switch so the visual designer uses a text-based file format, to make it work better with source tools like Git, Mercurial, etc. (I do remember that Erel has some good reason for why it's better to keep it binary, but that doesn't help when I review source and just see a binary blob.)

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As long as we're tagging on more wishes for the visual designer in this thread, I'd like to bring along an old wish: Switch so the visual designer uses a text-based file format, to make it work better with source tools like Git, Mercurial, etc. (I do remember that Erel has some good reason for why it's better to keep it binary, but that doesn't help when I review source and just see a binary blob.)
you mean something like xml /json for design ?

epiCode

Licensed User
That will be super helpful esp. in scenarios where you have to change a control type to another or do a regex find and replace to change some values in bulk.

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
That will be super helpful esp. in scenarios where you have to change a control type to another or do a regex find and replace to change some values in bulk.
Only this feature stops it from using for Git or Backup or sharing codes between developers.
Hope Erel keeps the designer file in json format and temporarily converts to binary when editing the design.