Android Question Can I get indoor location with one wifi router ?

Adamdam

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear All,
Greetings,

Can I get indoor location with only one Wifi router in the home ? approximately position .
- In case of Mobile App (Android).
- In case of Arduino+Wifi.
If yes, hope to find example link.

Thanks on advance
Best regards

Adamdam

Licensed User
Longtime User
Probably yes. You should use FusedLocationProvider.

Dear Eng. Erel,
Really many thanks for your reply.
My delay to reply, that I try to test many examples, especially this one

But it gave me same location outside my home, I moved inside long with home but location not changed any fraction of value.
Any suggestion.
Best regards

Upvote 0

Adamdam

Licensed User
Longtime User
I know, location will not accurate.
But I moved about 20 meters inside the building and same wifi covered without any change in (Lat, Long) readings,
I applied (Lat, Long) to google map, that seem no change in location totally.

Upvote 0

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
But I moved about 20 meters inside the building and same wifi covered without any change in (Lat, Long) readings,

FLP is probably giving you your WiFi location both inside and outside of the building.

When you're moving around outside your GPS will give you the location, inside the building (not unless you're by a windows) FLP will use all sorts of information to get a general location for you including your router IP address.

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I doubt you can get location with one wifi transmitter, at best you could get(guess) how far away from it you are, but no way of getting the direction from it.

Upvote 0

TILogistic

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I just want to comment that I have used this solution for years with B4A and Visual Studio android.

And if it works with wifi in covered areas, it only depends on the internet provider.

the best precision I got was 5 to 10 meters.

Upvote 0

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I was assuming the OP wanted to know effectively what room a device was in within a building, as he was asking for indoor location.

Upvote 0

amorosik

Expert
Licensed User
I just want to comment that I have used this solution for years with B4A and Visual Studio android.

And if it works with wifi in covered areas, it only depends on the internet provider.

the best precision I got was 5 to 10 meters.

This is very interesting to me What do you mean by "..depends on the internet provider .."?
Is it the access point that gives you the position or is it the internet manager?
Does this mean that the 'isolated from the internet' system doesn't work?
With the experience of using it for years, can you recommend access points / routers particularly suitable for this type of application?

Upvote 0

Adamdam

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for all,
Really the location wasn't change, it gave me location out of my home, at the main door of the home, and no change any more.
While in the following video at minute 25:00 :
the location was changed even mobile inside building.
any suggestions.
best regards

Upvote 0

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
...Well not test them...
but a long time ago.. i ve seen that into forums

1) https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/indoormap.66428/

2) yesterday a nice question: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/indoor-device-position-via-wifi-access-point.132925/

Hope helped...

by my experience... when you get wifi-location with FLP... you get specific the location you get from internet provider (not exactly location)... but sometimes you can get the square of building.... or if not getting from internet the location... but from the REAL (device) GPS... you will get "signal" LAT/LNG when you have clear sky and "fine" signal...

For me the second post i gave you and the RFIDs or bluetooth... or the "power" of wifi signal is the best solution.. the first never tested...

Upvote 0